ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

This past week was a week that I hadn’t been looking forward to for quite some time – my return to work from maternity leave.  I’m happy to report that I survived my first week back.  I only had four days with students, as last Monday was a teacher workday.  While it wasn’t fun to spend my first morning back at work in professional development meetings, it was nice to have the afternoon to work in my classroom and prepare to see my students starting Tuesday morning.

My biggest challenge this past week was a challenge that I fully expected: trying to balance the demands at work as a teacher with my demands at home as a mom and a wife while also still finding time to work out.  I’m sure it’ll take a couple of weeks to find a new norm and a routine that works well for us, especially since we currently have my mom here helping us, which also means that little man hasn’t started daycare yet.  The addition of daycare to our schedule will add yet another layer of complexity to our routine.

One of the highlights from this past week was that my birthday was on Wednesday.  I received two pretty awesome presents that day.  Little man slept through the night for the first time Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, and when my alarm went off Wednesday morning I was in a daze and quite confused as to how I’d slept for as long as I had.  That was the only day that little man has slept through the night, but it was an absolutely wonderful present to receive from him.  My other present on Wednesday was my mom’s arrival, and she, Preston, little man, and I enjoyed a birthday dinner out at a local Mexican restaurant.  I can’t remember the last time that I got to spend my birthday with my mom.  I’m guessing the last time was back when I was in high school.

I treated myself to a delicious birthday treat on Wednesday in the form of sangria

After having to skip my long run last weekend due to a bad headache, it was nice to finally get my six mile run in on Saturday.  The weather Saturday morning was less than desirable – cold, windy, and rainy – so I opted to wait until Saturday evening to head out for my run.  And I’m so glad that I waited, because other than the wind, Saturday evening was absolutely picture perfect for running.

6.00 mile run

I’m sure this coming week will be just as challenging, if not more challenging, when it comes to making time for everything on my plate.  I’m definitely up for the challenge, and hope to have as successful of a week as this past week was.

Mon 3/28 – 1.42 mile walk

Tues 3/29 – 3.15 mile run, 0.36 mile cool down walk

Wed 3/30 – Rest day

Thurs 3/31 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.47 mile cool down walk

Fri 4/1 – 15 minutes on the elliptical, 40 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Sat 4/2 – 6.00 mile run, 0.73 mile cool down walk

Sun 4/3 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 16.39 miles (1.99 miles more than week 8)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 143.60 miles

QOTD: What is your biggest challenge when it comes to fitting everything into your weekly schedule?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9

1. Carla says:

I couldn’t even begin to tell you my biggest challenge but to turn a negative into a positive I’m going to go with the fact there are just so many things I want to do you and experience and achieve and accomplish in a week so I’m forced to prioritize 🙂

2. That must have been nice to get a full night’s sleep! Hopefully this is the start of a new routine for little man!

Summer will be here soon so hopefully you’ll find that things will get easier for a while!

3. I still remember those days of returning to work like it was yesterday. I just think it’s so unfair that moms have to return to work just when the baby is becoming more fun to be around. All you can do is your best, and you sure seem to be handling everything really well!

4. I totally get where you are coming from. When I went back to work after my first, I felt like I had a double life. Eventually it all melts into one 🙂
    Finding a balance with kids, work etc…is a big challenge and I’m sure there is no one answer for everyone. You just have to decided what works for you. I often run at lunch or once my girls go to bed/asleep and sometimes other things take a back seat.

Happy birthday! It sounds like you definitely had some nice gifts 🙂

6. Great job girl! You will find the balance that works best for you!

7. Elle says:

Happy Belated Birthday! I am so happy your little guy is starting to sleep through the night. That will be wonderful for you… great to have your Mom visit and help out, too. I hope you really enjoy your time together.

8. Congrats on making it through the first week, happiest of birthdays, and generally well done on everything thus far 🙂

Happy birthday! That drink looks good, is it sangria?
    My biggest challenge is balancing everything during a busy week, and yoga is always the first to go when I have so much to do. I have a goal to keep doing more yoga, but sometimes it’s not possible.

10. It sounds like you had a good first week back to work and how awesome that your little man slept through the night for you on your birthday! I have a hard time balancing everything, ironically that is my biggest issue at the moment. I look at it like this, I don’t want my running/lifting/volleyball to cut into too much of my family time so ideally I lift in the morning before work and get my runs in after work so I’m not doing both in the evening. Of course with a new baby I think it would be harder to get up in the morning to do workouts. My little one is nine so it is easier for me and she wants to start doing some of these activities with me. Hang in there, you will figure out what works best for you and your family!

• Right now getting up in the mornings to work out isn’t an option. I have to leave the house by 6:30 to get to work on time, and with little man’s sleep schedule still unpredictable working out in the morning is just unrealistic.

11. Extra sleep is the best present a mom can get ever! Hope you had a wonderful birthday

12. Happy Birthday!!! Finding balance is a constant challenge as a parent, but it does get easier!

13. HAPPY Belated!! I’m so happy to hear that little man slept through the night – what a great gift! I hope getting back into work gets easier as time goes on and I hope he loves day care once the time comes to go.

14. Happy birthday and I hope the transition back to work goes as smoothly as possible. The gift of sleep from your baby is amazing. Hope it continues.

15. Ana says:

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had an awesome day!

I’ve found that the best way to get around to everything is scheduling everything, and at the same time, having flexibility for when things don’t work out. And it looks like you are already doing great with this! You totally have it all under control!

That Sangira looks delicious, makes me want to throw out my “no alcohol before the marathon” restriction out the window!

16. Thankfully, I was able to stay home with my kids until the youngest was in first grade. But when I did go back out into the “working” world, it was like starting from scratch in terms of balancing everything. Suddenly, I didn’t have time to leisurely run to the store or the luxury of staying up until 2:00AM if I was working on a project. Getting the evening meals ready was a total game-changer…and by then, the older kids were starting to have after school activities, so there were many new challenges with the whole “balance” thing. Guess what? It doesn’t get any easier LOL Two of the kids are in college, so we’re down to one remaining kid in the house, and I’m still winging it most days.

17. When my kids were little, I wasn’t yet into working out. I wish I had been. I kind of was off and on. About the only thing I would do then was workout videos at home. I think it’s great that you’re out running!

18. Yay for the good sleep! I’m trying to enjoy what sleep I can now before baby comes. I’ve find my biggest challenge is that I often give myself too much to do – it’s like a best case scenario list…if I have the time and energy I will do ALL THESE THINGS. Simplifying the list to only show the 1 or 2 main tasks for each day has given me a better perspective. That way, when I do have extra time and energy I feel even more accomplished…as opposed to constantly feeling like I underperformed.

19. That is so awesome your mom is visiting and helping you, and even more great you got to spend your Birthday with her. What a sweet mom, to come help you out right now while your making such big transitions in life.
    I have no doubt you’ll get it all figured out, your a teacher you’re already super smart!
    I remember one of my sisters had to get her workout time in, in odd moments. She turned housework into her cardio/cross. and went running in the evenings. As the weather gets better, maybe you can just figure out a way to turn your running time into mommy stroller baby time too and enjoy that together:)

20. MCM Mama says:

It will get a bit easier once you are all in a routine, but life with kids is always challenging. The challenges just change as they get older. You are doing great though! Good job on getting in your workouts.

21. Happiest birthday to you! That sangria looked perfect!

It’s definitely hard to fit everything in, and once you think you’ve got a routine down, things change up all over again. It keeps you on your toes! You are kicking butt and doing a great job keeping it all together!

Glad you had a nice birthday celebration with your mom and boys 🙂 Way to go on getting a strong long run in after being sidelined with a headache the previous weekend. I saw Dulles Runway registration is open 🙂 (not sure if I will sign up yet. I want to, but I will be close to taper at that point).

23. natrunsfar says:

How wonderful that your Mom is there with you!! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and a good first week back to work! It is always a wonderful feeling when the baby starts sleeping through the night. Enjoy the sleep!! 🙂

24. That is great you’ve made the transition back to working. You’ll figure it all out and the daycare schedule to get it done. I don’t have small ones around the house but they are still my babies, lol. My biggest challenge is finding the time to do things with them especially on the weekends and also getting in my longer runs. Most times it does work out but my sleep is usually effected.

25. My biggest challenge right now is motivation. Since I’m not training for anything it is hard to stay motivated. I really want to build my base now before marathon training but I just can’t run over 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week! I’ve at least been doing cycling 2-3 times a week as well to keep my cardio up.

26. Happy Birthday! I love that your little man’s gift to you was sleeping through the night. What a wonderful gift! 🙂

27. HoHo Runs says:

Happy Birthday! I can’t think of anything better than getting to sleep through the night. It’s odd how us Moms just figure out how to make it all work. I can’t say it’s always easy. There was a point in my life with having to drive my kids to different schools with extremely early start times, that the ONLY way I could run was at lunch. So, that’s what I did — at the YMCA 2 blocks from work. Every day. For my sanity. LOL. I think you’ll quickly figure out a routine. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

28. Good for you getting your 3 runs in last week! I’m so happy for you! Also, glad you had a great birthday!