ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8

This past week of training was full of both highs and lows.  On the one hand, it was a stressful week since I tried to cram as much as I could into my last week of maternity leave.  Not only did I try to take care of as many chores around the house as I could, but I also tried to savor every moment I could with little man.  In addition, I had two very strong weekday runs, and after my weight training session at the gym on Thursday, was feeling quite proud of the progress that I’ve made since giving birth since I’m finally starting to see definition in my arms again.

Finally starting to see definition in my arms again for the first time since I had to cut back on weights towards the end of my pregnancy. Hard work pays off!

On Friday we left after lunch to head north to visit with my in-laws for Easter weekend.  What should have been a less than three hour drive turned into a five hour drive as a result of lots of traffic and having to stop to feed little man halfway through the drive north.  By the time we finally arrived Friday evening, both Preston and I were absolutely exhausted and I had a terrible headache.  I had intended to complete my long run Saturday morning, but was still feeling miserable so I decided to put my run off until the afternoon.  One thing led to another, and I never got my run in on Saturday.  Then I contemplated getting up very early yesterday morning to run, which didn’t happen due to a difficult night with little man, and we got home too late last night.  Needless to say, my planned 5-6 mile run never happened this weekend, but at least I had some great days of training earlier on in the week.

My strongest run of the week was my 3.50 mile run Wednesday evening

My strongest run of the week was my 3.50 mile run Wednesday evening

Mon 3/21 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.45 mile cool down walk

Tues 3/22 – 3.25 mile walk, 25 minutes of strength training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Wed 3/23 – 3.50 mile run, 0.63 mile cool down walk

Thurs 3/24 – 3.47 mile walk, 40 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 3/25 – Rest/travel day

Sat 3/26 – Unplanned rest day

Sun 3/27 – Rest/travel day

Total Weekly Mileage – 14.40 miles (3.64 miles less than week 7)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 127.21 miles

On the on hand, I’m frustrated that a headache prevented me from completing my planned run.  On the other hand, I know that I still have plenty of time to finish fully training for ZOOMA.  Weekends like this past one are one of the reasons why I find utilizing an 18 week training plan to be a smart and practical choice.  You just never know when things will come up or how the weeks will play out.  Thankfully, by following an 18 week training plan I have some cushion built in and in the long run one missed run won’t negatively impact my training.

After weeks like this past one I’d normally say that I’d use it as extra motivation to push myself that much more this coming week.  But with my return to work today from maternity leave, I’ll have to play things by ear even more now.  I’m hopeful that I can still get in some good workouts this week, but I also have no way of predicting how this week will play out.

QOTD: How did you mentally cope with your last missed run?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8

1. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I know how you feel about the regret of missing a training run, but the good thing is that you have plenty of time to make up for it! Thinking about the traffic you went through gives me a headache! I hope you had a wonderful holiday! And you’re looking great and doing awesome with your runs!

Ugh, that sounds like a bad drive north 😦 I like long training plans for the same reason. I like having the flexibility to move things around and adjust as needed, and the extra padding in the schedule definitely helps with that. I hope you have a good week!

3. Sorry you missed your runs but it sounds like you needed those extra rest days! It is smart of you to build in those extra weeks of training.

4. I’m sorry you missed your run but glad you got to spend the holiday with family! I usually don’t schedule runs too much so ‘missing’ a day isn’t a big deal, but I know I will stress about it when I begin marathon training and have to learn to go with the flow a little more…

5. Sorry you missed your run girl! But life happens! You got great runs in during the week though! Great job momma!!!

Sorry about your run. Headaches can be frustrating. Thankfully I haven’t missed a run yet, but right now my chiro has capped me at 3 miles until their PT can build up my strength. Like you, I chose a program that would allow for some cushion for bumps in the road.

I thought about you this morning wondering how your first day back would be. Hopefully things went smoothly at school and for you baby boy. It isn’t a huge deal if you miss a run here or there. You have been diligent about your training and a missed run is just part of busy life.

8. A five hour drive with a baby, oh I feel for ya!
    I can imagine today and this week will be tough! I remember when one of my sisters went back after her first pregnancy, she hated it and missing her time with her baby so much. She lasted all of 2 weeks before she turned in her notice and decided to skip the daycare costs and become a stay at home mom, LOL If you want to work, then I will keep my fingers crossed you can get back into it again and be lots of busy so you don’t dwell on missing the cute little guy too much!
    I would’t worry about missing a day, it’s called life and life of a mom is an even busier life:)
    Nice “guns” I am working on my arms a few days a week too, eventually I’d love a bit more definition like that in mine too:)

9. Nice week! It’s definitely frustrating when things don’t go your way, especially when a long run is missed. Thankfully Zooma is still a ways away! I normally try not to stress too much about a missed run, because when I try to force or sneak one in it is normally horrible!

10. I’m sorry about your run! But in the grand scheme it’s just one run. It shouldn’t hurt your training. Best of luck getting back into the work groove! I hope your first day back was great!

11. We all have to miss runs from time to time and I honestly don’t think it makes that much of a difference in the “long run”. I have to remind myself that I am not an olympic caliber runner but a mom who enjoys running. Hope your first day back went ok!

12. Carmyy says:

I sulk around when I miss a run. Then I usually pace around a lot haha

13. Another fabulous week for you!

Missed runs can be really hard. I either try to make them up, or forget about them and get it next time. It’s a tough thing to overcome, but I agree with you – 18 week training plans give you plenty of room for flexibility.

14. batelm2014 says:

I think you still got pretty great milage!! Next week your headache will subside and you will be able to make it I’m sure of it! https://runningtomilan.wordpress.com/

15. You still had a great week, but I sure get your frustration at a missed workout. When all is said in done, one or two missed days isn’t going to break your training. Says the runner who panicked on the couch when she was sick last week…

16. Coco says:

It is hard when you miss your planned workouts but things don’t always go as planned. I had three rest days last week due to traveling when i usually have none. I hope things go well this week, but even if it is rough it will get better once you all get used to your new schedule!

17. I cope with my last missed run by moving on and not worrying about it. Regardless of where you are in your training cycle (early on and running “short,” or later and running “long”), missed runs happen. If it’s a short run, it’s easy to make up. If it’s a long run, you’re endurance is already there anyways. You are staying strong with all of your daily workouts, so a missed run now and then shouldn’t impact your training 😉

18. natrunsfar says:

One missed run will not hurt your training, but I know how you feel!! Mentally, it can get you into a funk. Try and shake it off and keep moving. PLUS, you have to give yourself some wiggle room for being a new Mom. 🙂 Your arms look great and congrats on that strong 3 mile run!!!

19. Ana says:

It was Easter weekend and you had so many things going on, I would say don’t feel bad about a skipped run. I’m sure you will more than make up for it.

I am sick, and will be missing more scheduled runs than I even want to count right now. But #1 priority right now is getting healthy again!

20. Right now I am at a place where if I miss a run and move on, I don’t make myself crazy over it anymore!

21. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says:

It stinks to have to miss a run but like you said you have some cushion built into your training plan and missing it shouldn’t hurt your performance. You are going to do amazing!

22. MCM Mama says:

I don’t stress about missed runs. Life is busy and sometimes things happen. You do the best you can with training and then run the best race you can. Sounds like things are going well in general, so you’ll get there.

23. HoHo Runs says:

Ugh. Your travel sounds stressful. I’m one who isn’t real rigid with a training plan. So, if I miss a run it’s OK (repeat often — LOL). I don’t try to cram it into the next week. That’s just asking for trouble. Truly, it probably won’t make any difference in your performance. I do think it is wise to choose an 18 week plan, just in case life gets in the way. I hope your return to work went well this week. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

24. Ahhh, it training always went according to plan…Ha!
    Sounds like a bit of a rough drive for you guys! And a lot to cram in before you head back to work! I am sure you will get it worked out to stay on track with your training! Great job on the solid runs and BOOM with those biceps! Go girl!
    I totally need to try an 18 week plan for my next half! Extra built in cushion is such a great idea!

25. Meagan says:

You have a great perspective on the missed long run. Things happen, and like you said it’s a good thing our training plans are long so that one missed run doesn’t negatively impact the whole process. I recently missed an entire week of training, consequently it was my second peak week, because I had the flu. That was a tough one to swallow. But I had to remind myself that training had been pretty good up to that point and I just needed to let it go and move on.

26. Life does have a way of throwing in unexpected things doesn’t it? Don’t sweat it, it’s still early in the game and I think you have done very well! Thanks for joining us for weekly wrap!

27. Pingback: ZOOMA Half Marathon Training Log – Week 9 | From Dancing to Running