ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

This past week was full of lots of excitement and activity.  My dad spent last weekend with us, and then was back Tuesday afternoon and evening before he flew back to Illinois mid day on Wednesday.  Not only was it great to have him here for a couple of days, but his being with us allowed for Preston and I to do something that we haven’t done since sometime back in the fall – to go for a run together.  Right now, Preston and I have to take turns working out since little man is still far too small to sit in the BOB stroller.  However, my dad offered to watch little man so that Preston and I could go for a run together.  It felt incredible to discuss our day together while out for a run, something we took for granted prior to little man’s arrival.

It felt great to run with Preston Tuesday evening. And it was just a coincidence that we both were dressed in shirts from 2014 Disney World Marathon Weekend.

It felt great to run with Preston Tuesday evening. And it was just a coincidence that we were both dressed in shirts from 2014 Disney World Marathon Weekend.

Then on Thursday I hit huge milestones during my run.  Not only did I run negative splits, but I also ran my first two sub-10 minute miles since before I gave birth.  Even though I already met one of my March goals earlier this month – to run a sub-33 minute 5k – I far surpassed that goal on Thursday and ran a sub-32 minute 5k.  There was definitely a lot to celebrate.

I must have had the luck of the Irish on my side for my St. Patrick's Day run Thursday evening. I haven't seen stats like these since sometime last summer.

I must have had the luck of the Irish on my side for my St. Patrick’s Day run Thursday evening. I haven’t seen stats like these since sometime last summer.

After Thursday evening’s run I did a quick but intense strength training workout, which left my legs feeling like jello on Friday.  They were still sore on Saturday when I headed to the gym for my four mile run.  (It was pouring rain and I’ll fully admit that I’m a wimp when it comes to doing my training runs in the rain.)  Although my pace was much slower on Saturday than it had been during Thursday evening’s run, I’m not at all disappointed in myself.  Some days I’ll be able to run faster than other days, and the most important thing is that I got all three of my planned runs in this past week.

Mon 3/14 – 3.25 mile walk

Tues 3/15 – 3.15 mile run, 0.35 mile cool down walk

Wed 3/16 – 3.26 mile walk

Thurs 3/17 – 3.15 mile run, 0.44 mile cool down walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body and abs)

Fri 3/18 – Rest day

Sat 3/19 – 4.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.44 mile cool down walk, 35 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Sun 3/20 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.04 miles (11.09 miles less than week 6)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 112.81 miles

QOTD: What recent running milestone(s) have you reached?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7

1. It’s so exciting to watch you come back to form after giving birth!!! Great job, Kathryn!

2. Congrats! That mile 3 was awesome! Little victories are so great! After taking some time off from running myself I find I too am celebrating my improvements (i’m making tiny ones but still worth celebrating…lol).

3. You really amaze me. You basically just had a baby a couple of months ago and are BACK, running-wise. Such a rockstar, Kathryn! Look at those sub 10 minute miles!!!! Amazing!

4. Coco says:

I love that you went for a run for your “date” time. 😉 The weather this weekend was icky. I would have chosen the gym too!

5. Girl you are doing so amazing!!! Congrats on a new PR! And I’m so glad you and Preston got to run together! How nice having your Dad there to visit!

It sounds like a great week! Way to go on the goals for the speedy 5k 🙂

7. Congrats on a great week!! I just did my first 5K on Saturday. At this point I can’t imagine being able to do a marathon or half marathon, but you never know — gotta start somewhere, right?

8. Tia says:

You’re amazing! I haven’t had a baby yet but watching you progress really gives me hope for the future! You’re awesome! And sub 10 minute miles! … I’m still getting back into the swing of things so 10 minute any mile is great!

9. You are amazing how you have just gotten right back in there!

10. Love that you got to out for a run together. That probably felt amazing and like you’re getting back to your usual self. You’re doing so amazing.

11. aw, so great you’re feeling good and had a date night run! Glad you’re dad was able to come visit 🙂

12. AMAZING!! Sounds like you’re really starting to get back into the swing of things!

13. So great that you guys could get out there together!

14. Ana says:

You are amazing! Great week in training!

You’re doing such a great job post-partum. My milestone was doing 4 miles this weekend, the first I’ve run/walked 4 since my half marathon in 2013.

16. Carmyy says:

Your St Pat’s headband is the cutest!

17. Sharon says:

Yes! Love it when family visits and then you can get a little break and have some time with Hubby whether it exercise together or get a date night in! You are doing awesome with getting back to running after having your little guy not too long ago! Congrats on hitting sub 10 min mile pace!

18. Glad you had a nice visit with your father. I love it when my mom visits me!

19. Kim Hatting says:

How exciting! Congrats on that PR and all the other fast splits!! For me, I have found that the longer I run (in years…not distance), the milestones are fewer and further between LOL That’s all good, though. I guess my recent 10K was a substantial milestone, because I ran it faster than the previous one (a week prior) and with a tougher terrain (and lack of music, etc.).

20. So fun your dad came to visit, bet he loved watching the little guy while you and the hubby went out for a run!
    Great job on your sub 10 post pregnancy. You really are getting back into it all wonderfully, you probably make a lot of pregnant/post pregnant women jealous with all you’ve been able to do during and so far after!
    Great job!!!

21. Amazing! I’m so glad you got to have that time together as a couple! It can be so important!

No big milestones lately. I’ll get back to them eventually. You’re doing great!

22. Rachel @ RachelMcMichael.com says:

You are amazing!!! Sounds like you had a great week of training!

23. cassi9879b says:

Great job hitting your goal for the month!

24. Nice job on your training! I’ve heard rumblings that people say they get faster after baby. Truth? Fiction? Who knows…probably depends on the person, but glad you’re a success story there! I’m actually finding my running paces are faster post-injury which seems nutty. Maybe breaks do us good! Glad you and P were able to run together. I’m eager for a run-date with my hubs too.

25. Great job! No big milestones for me, but hoping to PR in this weekends 10k!

26. Congrats on hitting your milestones! I guess my most recent milestone was having my first group run in a couple of years — and the first one where I wasn’t allowed to listen to music! Best of luck in the rest of your training. 🙂

27. MCM Mama says:

Congrats on a great post-baby run. You are doing well at getting back out there.

28. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations on your sub 10 miles and that awesome progression. I think you’ll run a sub 30 5k very soon! And then 29, 28, etc. I’ve recently hit a few sub 9 miles after my very lengthy injury. I wasn’t sure I could still get there. “They” tell us it’s the slow runs that allow us to be able to run the fast ones. You need those, so don’t feel guilty about that at all. It’s great you could run with the hubby. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

29. laurenweiner says:

Wow. You are doing amazing! I love that you were able to run with your husband…that’s very sweet 🙂

30. congrats and I love that you and preston were able to run together-adorable!

31. Thanks Kathryn for linking up! You did have the luck of the Irish on your side! It is funny how we take for granted adult conversations when we hear and talk baby jibber all the time! Glad you two got out together!!!

YAY congrats on your awesome accomplishments!! So happy for you! Love your headbands, too! 🙂

33. Your training is going so well! So wonderful that your Dad visited and that you got so time to run with your husband.

34. You are so inspiring to be back at it as a new momma! That’s how I hope to be one day 🙂 Looks like a great week of training and love following alone!

35. Farrah says:

Whew!! Great job! That’s awesome that you two got to run together, and major major props to you on doing sub-10 minute miles already! ❤ That's amazing!