Happy Runiversary to Me!

Three years ago today, I laced up my running shoes and headed out running for the first time in my adult life.   Other than running for the physical fitness tests in gym class when I was a child and teenager, I hadn’t run because I’d convinced myself that I couldn’t.  I couldn’t picture running being a part of my life.  And now, I can’t imagine my life without running being a part of it.

After finishing the Shamrock Half Marathon last March

After finishing the Shamrock Half Marathon last March

I was first inspired to start running after my husband completed his first marathon, the Disney World Marathon in January 2013.  I made it my goal to train for and run my first half marathon, which I ran at Disney World in January 2014.  That day was special for so many reasons, one of which was that I got to cross the finish line of my first half marathon holding my husband’s hand.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Running has taught me quite a lot.  I learned several lessons when training for my first half marathon, and even more about training when I trained for Shamrock last March.  I’ve also used lessons from past training cycles to help revamp my training plans.  Continuing to run throughout most of my pregnancy last year was an entirely new beast, and I learned so much more from that experience.

After crossing the finish line of the Dulles Day 5k back in September

After crossing the finish line of the Dulles Day 5k back in September

During my third year of running, I completed four half marathons, including Rock ‘n’ Roll DC this past weekend.  I also ran a ten miler, two 10ks, an 8k, and four 5ks.  I’m tired just thinking about all of those race miles, and more importantly, all of the training miles that went into my preparation for those races.  I was pregnant for all of those races except for one half marathon and the 8k.

After I completed my last pregnant race, Rock 'n' Roll Philly, back in October. Although not planned, this was also the last day that I ran while pregnant.

After I completed my last pregnant race, Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly, back in October. Although not planned, this was also the last day that I ran while pregnant.

Each year of running has had its own unique set of challenges.  My first year of running was about learning to how to run, and how to enjoy doing it.  My second year of running was about pushing myself harder than I did during that first year, which resulted in a massive PR at my fourth half marathon.  And my third year was of course about learning how to continue to run and workout with my ever changing body, and then relearning how to run again post pregnancy.  I can’t wait to see what this fourth year brings!

QOTD: How long have you been running for?  What lessons have you learned about yourself as a result of running?

This entry was posted in Milestones and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Happy Runiversary to Me!

1. Why did you start running? I would be curious to know that…was that Preston’s influence? 🙂

2. How cool that you remember the exact day you started running! My first race was one of the Disney races in 2010 so I am “assuming” I did some training runs before then….lol. It doesn’t seem that long ago, but it’s been six years, wow!

3. Pretty amazing journey! I started running about 25 years ago but I don’t remember the exact moment I decided to go. I was working out at a gym, and just kind of started to run, I think, as an attempt to get myself back on track (literally and figuratively). Anxiety and depression had taken hold. Running is the best think that has ever happened to me.

I’d say March is also my runnerversary. I needed something to do after I moved to Dallas, and I decided getting back into shape was priority #1. I’d been out of shape and miserable in Boston, and getting back in to shape was perfect to keep me motivated.

5. So amazing girl!!!! I started running consistently about 6 years ago! I haven’t stopped since! I love it and just like you said…I can’t imagine my life without running in it! Happy Runiversary girl!!!

6. Tia says:

I started running about a month after I got married. I knew I needed to find something to get myself active again. I don’t know the exact date buy I knowbit was in September of 2013 when I headed out the door and started my 1st Couch to 5K plan. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

HAPPY RUNNERVERSARY!!!

7. Woohoo! I ran track in high school then picked it up again in law school – so about 10 years ago.

Congrats! I’m also someone who was never a runner, never thought I could be. I started running in January of 2014 so this is my 3 year of running.

9. Ana says:

Happy Runiversary to you!

I’ve been running for 3 years now, but only seriously started training a year ago. Before I would just roll out of bed and go to a 5K. I was not a runner anytime before, there was no motivation from anybody around me.

I have learned that I am really strong and that with proper planning and training, almost anything is possible!

10. Elle says:

Oh boy! I have been at it for so many years I cannot count! Congratulations on your 3rd Runiversary. Here’s to many many more!

11. Happy run-iversary to you! This month also marks my 3rd run-iversary 🙂 In March 2013, I started the Couch to 5k program and was on my way to running 3 miles for the first time ever. I used to get my ballet teacher to write me a get-out-of-the-mile note in high school… Then a year later I ran the NYC Half as my first half, and in 2015 got hooked on Disney races. Now I’m about to run the NYC Half for the third time and am looking forward to the NYC Marathon come November, excited and nervous all at once.

12. Ivanna says:

That’s awesome Happy Runiversary and I am wishing you many many miles and races in the future

13. Happy Runniversary!!!! I celebrate my Fitiversary every year, on the day that I started exercising daily (which was fast walking on the treadmill). It is a huge accomplishment to celebrate! Way to go!

14. I don’t think I knew that your hubs was a runner too! You have accomplished a lot in 3 years congrats

15. Happy Runiversary!!! I just celebrated my 4th Runivesary and the biggest lesson I’ve learned is to stop comparing myself and have fun!

16. Happy Runiversary!! I love this post, and I love that you and your husband motivate each other. I started running seriously in 2012. My first race was the NYC Half and I’m really excited to run it again this year 🙂

Happy Runniversary 🙂 So glad you picked up running and started this blog! I started running college, but kind of had a “rebirth” into running Fall 2013 🙂

Happy runiversary! You’ve had a great three years…I know the future will only bring even better things!!

19. carmy says:

I love that your husband inspired you and that you have the exact date! I wish I remembered when I started running so I could have an excuse to celebrate/treat myself haha

20. Happy Runiversary! I started running in grade 7 when I was on the track team (ran the 400, 800 and 1500). In high school I played field hockey and the 2 mile warm up run around the track was my favourite part. Then in University I played varsity lacrosse, then ran my first half marathon 6 months after finishing school. My mom would say I’ve been running since I was 13 months old 🙂 Welcome to a lifelong hobby!

21. I just always guessed you’d been running for most your life.
    How fun to read about your story and happy runiversary to you:)
    I ran my first race when I was in the 2nd grade and apparently have been mostly addicted to it since then, LOL

22. Congrats on your runiversary! Here’s to many more years of running!

23. Happy Runiversary! Isn’t it crazy how much it changes our lives?

24. Aw, happy runiversary! I can’t even put into words how much running has changed my life. It’s amazing how much you’ve accomplished — congrats!! 😀

25. Happy Runiversary!!! What an awesome journey you’ve been on! I’ve been running now for 5 years…I’ve gone through many cycles…beginning, Pr’ing, set-backing…and now…coming back. It’s an amazing journey and although difficult at times…I’m enjoying it!

26. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 19 | From Dancing to Running