ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

My mileage really started to ramp up during this past week of training.  It helps that we had a preview of spring last week too, and that the days are starting to get longer, which has not only helped me to be able to get outside for more walks during the day with little man but also allowed me to be able to run outside one evening after Preston got home from work.  The forecast for this coming week looks exceptionally nice (predicted highs are in the 60s and 70s each day!), so I’m crossing my fingers that it stays that way so that I can get outside as much as I can.

I experienced a first during Saturday’s long run – I encountered four deer on the trail.  The four deer were just walking along the paved path on the trail, and from a distance I couldn’t tell at first if they were large dogs or deer.  As I slowly got closer, I started to wonder if I was going to have to turn around, but then about a minute after I started asking myself that the deer left the trail and ran into the nearby woods.  It was quite an interesting encounter, and the first time that I’ve come across deer on this trail since we moved out here just over a year and a half ago.  I wonder if I’ll ever encounter deer on that trail again.

deer

Then, Saturday night after my run I did something pretty silly at home.  I wasn’t paying attention and ran into the leg of the couch with my foot.  And it wasn’t a soft encounter – it was hard enough that I was initially worried that I’d broken three of the toes on my right foot (the three smallest).  I banged up my already bad foot, which has been causing me some pain on and off since I slipped on ice a couple of weeks ago.  As of this morning the pain in my toes is less than it has been for the past 36 hours, so I’m hopeful with some more rest and taking it easy during the first part of this week that my mishap won’t affect my running too much this week.  I’m due to increase my mileage for my long run again next Saturday, and I really don’t want to have my lack of paying attention cause me to go off track with my training.

Even if my foot causes me to not have the productive week that I’m hoping for, I can at least look back on this past week and know that it was a successful week.

Mon 2/29 – 3.22 mile walk

Tues 3/1 – 1.01 mile walk, 3.15 mile run, 0.35 mile cool down walk, 15 minutes of strength training (lower body and abs)

Wed 3/2 – Rest day

Thurs 3/3 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.42 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Fri 3/4 – Rest day

Sat 3/5 – 6.50 mile run, 0.31 mile cool down walk

Sun 3/6 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.06 miles (2.37 miles more than week 4)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 65.64 miles

QOTD: What animals have you encountered while out running?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

1. Ouch! Even worse than a running injury is a non-running injury that keeps you off the road! I hope it heals fast!

2. Tia says:

I hope your foot gets better. Resting is so not fun but a necessity to get back to perfect health. I see deer pretty frequently where I live. I try to get as close as I can but my loud footsteps scared them off!!

Sounds like a great week! I’ve seen deer a couple times on the rock creek trail and even on the capital crescent trail once. I love it when I see them, they’re so beautiful. Though I saw some vultures on the C&O canal towpath once and they were kind of scary. I definitely turned around before I got to them!

4. I remember the first time I got up close and personal with a deer on my run. They’re all over CT near my parents’ house in the spring and summer. Usually they run away but they can actually be a little not-so-bright by waiting…

5. Elle says:

Ouch! Hopeyour foot is all right very soon!

We have lots of deer in my city… and we see peacocks, geese, and lots of ducks… also racoons occasionally, too. Love seeing the spotted fawns in the Spring with their mama does.

6. laurenweiner says:

You sound like me, I get injured while not running, just everyday life! Hope you heal up soon!

7. deborahbrooks14 says:

It’s always a nice surprise to see the deer out running. They kind of come out fast out of nowhere. Hope your foot is feeling better and you are out enjoying our spring weather this week

8. I saw a deer outside our cabin when we did R2R2R a couple of years ago, lol!
    Super ouch from the couch! I always hit my foot with my daughter’s bed frame. It’s a distinct type of hurt!!! Hope it heals soon for you!

9. oof, sounds painful! rest up and hope fully it gets better! I always see deer when I’m out and about in my hood. They are pretty rampant around Massachusetts Avenue and Rock Creek but tend to mind their own business. Lol.

10. Nature is amazing isn’t it! I rarely see wild animals while running in NYC unless you count pigeons haha. I hope your toes feel better!!

11. Great job! The worst was when a snake ran out in the road right in front of me! Sheer panic.

12. Sorry about your foot, that sounds like something I could do. I am famous for being careless or running into things and getting hurt doing the regular daily life stuff, LOL
    How fun about the deer! I am sure you will see more, looks pretty wooded so I imagine they will be harder to see as the leaves come, but guarantee ya they will be around!
    I do a lot of mountain and trail running (well when I am running as I’d like) so I have had encounters with pretty much everything but the coolest one was with a mountain lion one morning, it was my first time seeing one in person. I hope it will happen again, but sometimes luck like that doesn’t happen twice to me:)

13. Oh, gosh! I’m sorry about your foot! My injury is from an unlucky stumble and it’s SO frustrating when it’s something completely unrelated to running! I hope it all feels better soon.

Animal encounters on my runs? :cracks knuckles: Are you ready? There have been the following, in no particular order: dog, cat, snake, turtle, zebra, peacocks, chickens, zebra, alpaca, pig, goats. At least the scenery is always interesting!

14. Definitely a great week of training! So awesome that you saw deer! And yikes about your foot! That sounds like something I would do! Hope it heals fast!

15. HoHo Runs says:

My foot hurt in sympathy as soon as I read this! Ouch. I hope it won’t cause any problems for your training this week and you can enjoy the spring weather. I have not encountered any wild animals on a normal run, except for a huge boar while on vacation St. John. But, thankfully he was tame and apparently roamed the town square freely. ODD. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

16. I love seeing wildlife on my runs as long as it is not too close. When I ran out into Utah last fall at the North Face Endurance Challenge I ran right by a moose! I hope your toes are ok! Hitting your toes that hard is excruciating!

17. MCM Mama says:

So cool to see deer. I only ever see bunnies and chipmunks.
    I tripped over a small wooden cabinet the other day and bruised my knee so badly that I limped for a couple of days. I was actually worried I wasn’t going to be able to race this weekend, but it’s feeling better now. Hope your toes heal quickly!

18. Coco says:

I encountered deer in our neighborhood – just clomping along the street! I hope your foot is ok. I stubbed my toe so badly once I had to have my toenail surgically repaired. Those stupid household accidents can be the worst.

19. natrunsfar says:

I hope your foot is okay!! That sounds super painful!
    I have seen bunnies and a coyote on my runs. Fun times 🙂
    Great job with your training this week!!

20. Pingback: I’ve Been Keeping a Secret – My 2016 Race Season Starts on Saturday! | From Dancing to Running

21. thebarbella says:

Hope your three little toes start feeling better ASAP. And here’s to warmer weather, longer days, and better runs!

22. Ugh, I have encounters like that ALL OF THE TIME. Just yesterday, my shins met the side of a squat rack while training someone 😦 Hope your toes are feeling better!

23. I have done that too! I swear I thought I broke my toe, it hurt so dang bad! I’m glad it’s getting better for you. I see deer all the time when I run at the campground. I love it when they don’t run off. Only a few times have they not but once I had a little fawn follow me. It was truly following me cause I turned and it went with me. I’ve seen a few foxes, many many snakes! Oh just last night on the dam it was dark but there are lights but still dark in between the lights and I saw 2 snakes! It was warm here so they are already out! EEEK! Thank you for linking up with us !

24. That is the worst when you stub your toe!! happened to me a few months ago on the bathroom door and my toe was so bruised I also thought I broke it.