March 2016 Monthly Goals

After a month when I wasn’t allowed to exercise for most of the month, it felt great to be able to exercise normally during the month of February.  Even though it was a short month, and there were plenty of days that I wanted to exercise but couldn’t because of little man’s needs and/or the weather, I made the most of the days that I could exercise and kept my focus on my four goals throughout the entire month.

feb 2016 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 45 miles.

Grade: A

Despite not using the elliptical at all last month, I still managed to run and walk a total of 50.8 miles, which included two days of stair climbing at home as part of my Baby Strong workouts.  To say that I’m more than proud of myself for exceeding my goal by almost six miles is an understatement.  Although 50 miles is still low compared to my monthly mileage totals from before pregnancy, I’m more than happy with this total for my first full month of postpartum exercise.

2.  Run a sub 34 minute 5k.

Grade: A

Not only did I accomplish this goal on February 10th, but I continued to see my pace become faster as the month continued on.  I can’t wait til I run a sub 33 minute 5k, then sub 32, you get the idea.

After completing my sub 34 minute 5k back on February 10th

After completing my sub 34 minute 5k back on February 10th

3.  Strength train at least twice a week.

Grade: B-

There was only one week last month that I didn’t lift weights or do a Baby Strong workout.  Even though some of my strength training sessions were shorter than I would have liked, some training is better than none at all.

4.  Do something for myself everyday.

Grade: B+

Most days I did pretty well with this, especially during the first half of February when I participated in Mar’s 14 Days of Self challenge.  Some of the things that I did for myself included stepping away from housework while little man was sleeping so that I could take a shower, treating myself to a tea from Starbucks, and escaping the house to exercise.  I could probably count on one hand the number of days in which I didn’t do something for myself last month.

After a very successful and productive February, I’m looking forward to going after another set of goals this month.  With less than four weeks left of my maternity leave, I know that I’ll be trying to take care of as many things around the house as I can before I go back to work.  But I’ll also be trying to spend as much quality time with little man as I can.  But that doesn’t mean that I can just neglect myself or my fitness, especially since I’m training for ZOOMA Annapolis in June.

March 2016 Monthly Goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 65 miles.

After a very productive February, I want to up the ante this month.  My long runs will be slowly increasing in distance this month as I continue half marathon training.  And as the weather continues to get nicer, I hope to be able to take multiple walks per week with little man in his stroller.

2.  Run a sub 33 minute 5k.

I completed my last 5k treadmill run in February in 33:29, so I’m hoping that within another month I’ll be able to knock another 30, or more, seconds off of my 5k time.

My 5k time from February 25th is the time to beat this month!

My 5k time from February 25th is the time to beat this month!

3.  Strength train at least twice a week.

Despite my limited workout time, strength training needs to remain a fitness priority in order to help make me stronger and in order to help prevent injury.  Most weeks last month I weight trained once a week and did a Baby Strong workout for my second strength training session, and I envision continuing that routine this month.

4.  Cross train at least once a week.

Cross training is just as important as running and strength training is.  Whether its going for a walk with little man or using the elliptical at the gym, I need to make cross training a higher priority this month than I did last month.

QOTD: What are your goals for March?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to March 2016 Monthly Goals

You really have adjusted so well to motherhood Kathryn. I think taking care of yourself goes hand it hand with being able to care for your baby. It is clear he is your focus and I know you will enjoy these next few weeks with him until you return to work. Great job on your workouts too, you seem to be back to running well very quickly.

2. haleyduke17 says:

I’m really so impressed with how seamlessly you continue your fitness goals. Motherhood seems to suit you well. Congrats on mostly hitting your February goals You’re making the rest of us look bad, but I’m glad you’re doing so well. lol

3. Here’s to a great March (and possibly sneaking in more “Kathryn” time for yourself)!

Sounds like you had a great month in February! Here’s to a March that goes even better 🙂

You’ve done such a great job, and hopefully you’ll have more of that with training for Zooma. My goals are to continue doing yoga as much as possible, and then my chiro gave me more strengthening exercises to work on.

6. As a new mom, it is really important to do something for yourself each day even if it is only a really long shower all by yourself. Does wonders!

7. I think it’s interesting that you give yourself a grade on how well you did. That’s a good idea. My self-grades are usually limited to Pass/Fail. And passing = doing it at all. I probably could elevate my standards a bit! haha! 🙂

8. You’re doing great. My best friend had a baby and whenever she feels like she isn’t getting it all done, I just remind her that she’s doing the best she can every single second of the day (and night) and that’s what counts.

9. You are rocking your goals! I feel like such a slacker now. LOL!

10. Way to rock out February and take those goals up a notch. You’re setting such a good example for the little man 🙂

11. Great job! I haven’t decided on March goals, but plan to blog about them on Friday so I better figure it out ha!

12. Kathryn you amaze me. I love your outlook on life and it’s so great to see you accomplish your goals while balancing new motherhood. Total inspiration. Can’t wait to see you at Zooma!

13. These are awesome goals! You actually inspired me to get on mine! Haha! I’m ready to start back strength training.

14. thebarbella says:

Love your March goals and great job with February. I’m superbly impressed with your milage log and your times. I am excited that the sun will be out more this month making for more steps outside instead of on the dreadmill.

15. Great job and great goals. I want to stay consistent and eat better in March.

I love your goals! Way to go in February with a little one! 🙂

17. You are doing great! It’s definitely hard to navigate new parenthood and scheduling and sleep (oh, the sleep!). You are crushing your goals, and setting new, great ones! I have no doubt March is going to be just as awesome for you!

18. I bet it feels so good to be back on the road. No matter what motherhood throws at you, you’ll have your fitness and that will always make you feel like you!

19. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Congratulations on doing such a great job in February! I need to make self-care a goal for March because I really dropped the ball this past month, though Mar’s challenge was great! I bet you will continue to improve your 5K time and keep up your workouts!

20. You are doing great and are such an inspiration to everyone! keep up the great work!

21. You have such great goals for yourself as a new mom. It is so great to see too that you are taking time for yourself as this is essential. Keep up the awesome work this month!

22. You’ve had another great month and I’ve been so impressed with you as you balance your goals, life and motherhood 🙂

23. Pingback: ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 7 | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: April 2016 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running