ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

I’m all about keeping it real here on the blog.  So if I’m going to be honest, this past week was another week where things did not go as I’d hoped that they would.  After a not so stellar week two weeks ago, I was determined to make this past week much more productive.  I wanted to ensure that I not only got my three planned runs in, but that I also did my strength training as well.  While I was fully determined, and did complete my three planned runs, life got in the way once again and interfered.  Little man seems to have gone through a growth spurt recently, which has made him extra fussy during the day.  I haven’t been able to accomplish much around the house while Preston is at work, so when he gets home I can’t always devote as much time to working out as I’d like to.  I’m fitting in what I can when I can, but I wish I had more time.  I’m finding one of the biggest challenges to be finding enough time to keep up with housework/errands while also having enough time to work out as much as I’d like to, especially since little man barely naps during the day right now, unless he’s being held or he’s in his car seat in a moving car.

Can you tell how exhausted I am in this picture? I escaped the house for this 2.81 mile on Thursday after a very long day with an extremely fussy baby.

Can you tell how exhausted I am in this picture? I escaped the house for this 2.81 mile run on Thursday after a very long day with an extremely fussy baby.

Prior to adding a baby to our lives, Preston and I usually worked out at the same time.  Now with little man, we have to take turns going to the gym.  And until he’s older and can sit up on his own in the jogging stroller, we can’t take him for a run with us.  With our current schedule, we’ve had to alternate days for working out after Preston gets home from work, which doesn’t allow either of us to work out as much as we’d like to.  And while I’m all for at home work outs, especially since I love the Baby Strong workout, little man’s needs have made it such that working out when only one of us is home just didn’t work this past week.  He was just too fussy.

I am so thankful that I was able to get in my planned long run on Saturday.  Although I had to wait until after lunch to head out since Preston was away from the house Saturday morning, the weather was absolutely beautiful during my run.  After all of the cold weather and snow that we’ve had over the past two months, I loved being able to run outside in almost 70 degree weather.  I actually got a little too warm in the long sleeve top that I was wearing.

5.01 mile run

All I can keep doing is taking things one day at a time.  Its great to have goals that I want to focus on in addition to training for my next half marathon.  But I’m also trying to remind myself that when I don’t have the time and/or energy, especially after a long day with a fussy baby, to be able to devote to working out, that I just have to do the best that I can.

Mon 2/15 – Rest day

Tues 2/16 – 3.25 mile run on the treadmill, 0.45 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Wed 2/17 – Rest day

Thurs 2/17 – 2.81 mile run, 0.32 mile cool down walk

Fri 2/18 – Rest day

Sat 2/19 – 5.01 mile run, 0.43 mile cool down walk

Sun 2/20 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.27 miles (4.31 miles more than week 2)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 31.89 miles

Other than a fussy baby, the other obstacle to my week was a slip up that occurred during Thursday night’s run.  As I was nearing the end of my run, I slipped on some ice.  I caught myself and didn’t fall, but since Thursday’s run my bad right ankle and my right leg have been bothering me.  I’ve been making foam rolling a high priority since Thursday night’s run, but I’ve also been trying to take it easy when I can.  Hopefully my ankle and leg will start to feel better sooner than later.  And hopefully, this coming week of training will be better than the past two have been.

QOTD: How do you fit everything into your weekly schedule that you want/need to?

I’m linking up with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap link up.  Be sure to check out their posts as well.

WeeklyWrap

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. Your post brought back memories for me! I remember feeling frustrated when I couldn’t get a run in or had to cut it short because of a fussy baby. One time I was on the treadmill with my oldest in the bouncy seat next to me, and he just kept crying. I tried singing to him, pleading with him, and eventually I got off and cried with him. It’s tough being a new mom. And in spite of all that, you are doing great. 31 miles? Pretty awesome. Hang in there!

2. I’m sure that’s a tough transition for you to not be able to get in your workouts like you hoped. But your son is a pretty great reason for that! 😉 You’re doing the best with what you can, so just know that. I often remind myself that there are seasons of life…sometimes it’s a season of great running and PRs, sometimes it’s the season of focusing on family, sometimes it’s the season of focusing on success at work. That’s helped me get through some strange transitions in the past.

3. So proud of you for doing what you can and still sticking with it. I thought juggling training plus work plus housework plus PT was hard. I can only imagine adding a baby would be very challenging. You rock though!

4. Nice week of training! Oh the joys of having a newborn, I can only imagine! Hopefully he allows you some more time this week and if not, enjoy your time with him!

I think you’re doing great, and it’s impressive that you got all three runs in there! I hope your ankle and leg feel better soon and that the baby’s feeling better this week too.

6. Elle says:

I think you are doing an amazing job of juggling! Hope that injury heals up soon, and that baby has a better week, too!

7. Keep it all in perspective and you’ll be just fine!

You’re doing a great job, and it’s not an easy transition.

9. You still did a great job! It sounds like you and Preston make a good team! Hopefully when the little man is a bit older you’ll have more freedom with the running stroller, but for now, I think you’re doing great!

10. Carmy says:

Sorry to hear about the ice! Hoping you feel better. One of the reasons I dislike winter night runs is the fear of slipping on black ice.

11. ugh, ice!!! sorry about your slip but honestly, I think you are doing great all things considered! like you said, just continue to do what you can, when you can. maybe you can throw in some extra walks when you can’t get out on your own for a run! any movement is good movement, keep it up mama 🙂

12. Ah yes life of a new mom. You will never get as much done as you think you can. It’s very hard to predict how your day will go. You are doing a fantastic job and I can’t believe you have energy to blog too.

13. Kim Hatting says:

to echo everyone else, you really are doing great! You are doing the best you can (at the moment), and there will come a time when you may wish for this time back 😉 I’m probably not the first one to say this, but the baby stage is SOOOO short. And the toddler years. My three kids are pretty much all done growing (at least physically) and although I am so proud of the adults they are morphing into….a part of me longs for those early years. I’d love to go back in time and relive those days. (one day at a time LOL)

14. Rachel says:

You are doing such an incredible job of juggling everything! To answer your question – I don’t! I only fit in what matters and I worry about the other stuff as it becomes a priority. Being a new mom is tough stuff, and you seem to be mastering it well!! XOXO

15. I hear ya about keeping it honest on the blog! I’ve been terrible at fitting workouts in and I even have a little extra time. I just keep letting little things that shouldn’t matter get in the way, and so in a way I get it. I really need to work on that this week!
    Life is hard to fit it all in and I imagine adding a baby into that makes for a life full of adjustments, but I still think your doing pretty awesome!!

16. I did not run when I had my daughter and my life was put on hold. Now that I think about it I didn’t really have a life except for work and taking care of her. I do not know how you young moms and dads do it but my hats is off to you! There will be weeks like this, just roll with it and get in what you can, I can promise you this, he will be grown and going to college before you can blink! Thank you so much Kathryn, for linking up with us this week, I do hope you will be back! 🙂

17. HoHo Runs says:

Welcome to the Weekly Wrap! Let me say, I’m very impressed you are getting out there and running! It’s a huge adjustment to have a baby! It won’t be easy to carve out time for yourself right now. But just know this is a very short stage in your life. Soon you’ll have that baby in a stroller,you’ll blink, and then he’ll be going to off to kindergarten. Hang in there mama. It gets easier. I hope you knee is better too. Thanks for linking with us Kathryn.

18. Juggling running and a new baby is a challenge – I totally get it. For me, I only trained for shorter distances after for the first 6 months postpartum. My husband and I often trade off (even with a 3 and 5 year old) our workouts and being with our kids.
    Most days I don’t run until 8pm…7:45 if I’m lucky! It’s exhausting but it’s the only time I can get it in when my husband is away. You had a great week with all the challenges that faced you – keep it all in perspective – you accomplished a lot …. and I’m not talking just about your running. 🙂

19. Coco says:

When my kids were younger I started working out before they woke up – that’s when I became friends with that 5 am alarm. I know that solution won’t work for everyone though.

20. I remember trying to find that groove when my babies were first born. It can take time to find the new rhythm so try not to get discouraged. Hugs!!!

21. Farrah says:

Great job on getting your mileage in! I’m glad you didn’t fall on the ice, and hope your ankle/leg feel better soon!

I make super-extensive to-do lists to fit all the stuff I want to get done in! 😛

22. Planning is the only way I can fit everything in that I have to, but it’s also important to let life happen. Enjoy this time with your son!

Have you considered popping in a DVD exercise tape when you get a few minutes of exercise in here and there? Fussy periods are tough with a newborn, but that might be something to consider. Your little baby is precious and is of course the best priority to have at the moment!

24. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Sorry to hear that your runs didn’t go as planned, but you are still doing great with those workouts! Having a new baby is such a HUGE life adjustment, I think in time you’ll get a better routine that works for all of you.