Friday Five – Five Hats That I Wear

Happy Friday everybody, and a special welcome to those visiting for the first time from Kristy’s Grow Your Blog Hop.  For those who are regular readers, as always, I’m glad that you’re here.  I haven’t done an “About Me” post in awhile, and since its Friday and I usually participate in the Friday Five linkup each week, I thought it would be fun to write this post Friday Five style.

I wear a number of different hats.  Five of those hats are:

1.  I am a runner.

After finishing the Shamrock Half Marathon in March 2015

After finishing Shamrock Half Marathon in March 2015

I started running in March 2013, and ran my first half marathon in January 2014.  To date, I’ve run six half marathons, three ten milers, and a number of 10ks and 5ks.  Some of the races I’m most proud of completing include the two half marathons that I ran while pregnant – one at 24 weeks and the second at 32 weeks pregnant.

My focus for 2016 is on rebuilding – rebuilding my strength, my stamina, and my overall fitness – after giving birth to my son in December.  My major focus right now is on training to run ZOOMA Annapolis in June.

2.  I am a teacher.

Four of my AP World students left this note on the board for me back in November 2013. Its notes like these that make my job worth it!

By day I am a high school Social Studies teacher.  I am in my eighth year of teaching, though I’m currently on maternity leave.  I’m excited, but also very nervous, about returning to work at the end of March, and how returning to work will affect my ability to find a balance between my demands at work and at home.  I absolutely love working with my students and cannot wait until I’m back in the classroom working with them.

3.  I am a wife.

Photo Credit: Mark Romine Photography

Photo Credit: Mark Romine Photography

My husband, Preston, and I have been married since July 30, 2011.  Time has flown by, and its hard to believe that this summer we’ll celebrate our five year anniversary.  One of the many things that we enjoy doing together is running, though with a baby now at home it’ll be awhile until we’re able to run together again.  If it weren’t for my husband, I’m not sure that I would have had the strength to train for and run my first half marathon.  Crossing the finish line of that first half with him is a moment that I’ll never forget.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

4.  I am a dog mama.

After a walk with Riley back in the fall

After a walk with Riley back in the fall

This past Monday marked three years since Preston and I adopted our fur baby, Riley.  When we adopted our then eight month old English Springer Spaniel, we had no idea how he’d affect our lives.  Its safe to say that now we can’t imagine our lives without him, and I’m pretty sure he can’t imagine his life without us.

5.  I am a mother.

Photo Credit: Katie Vogel Photography

Photo Credit: Katie Vogel Photography

The most important hat that I wear is as a mother to my 8 week old son.  December 23, 2015 is the date that my life forever changed, and though some days are challenging, I wouldn’t for a minute change the fact that I am now a mother.  I hope to not only be a role model for him, but I also hope that I can inspire him to lead a happy and healthy lifestyle.  I can’t wait until he’s old enough to understand and appreciate cheering on the sideline for me at a race, and maybe one day, I’ll be able to cheer him on at a race.

QOTD: What hats do you wear?

DC-Trifecta-Friday-Five-linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Friday Five – Five Hats That I Wear

1. Melissa says:

Great to meet you through the blog hop! Yay for Spaniels and fur babies! Any marathons in the future? I know you’re rebuilding now, but I’m always curious to learn if runners ever want to go farther and why or why not.
    My five hats: wife, fur mom, engineer, fitness instructor, and entrepreneur!

2. Kind of nice, adding that mama hat, isn’t it? I’ve loved following your journey! I’m looking forward to what’s to come for you!

3. Fun post! You must be doing something right if all of your AP students like your class! Great to see you in the hop too

I feel the same way about my furbaby. I had to wait a few years before i felt ready, and I’m certain I waited for Allie. She adds so much to my life and I look forward to going home every day when she greets me as I walk in the door.

5. HoHo Runs says:

What a beautiful precious baby! I know you are enjoying this time home with him. My “HAT” is off to you for being a teacher. A good teacher makes such a difference and impression in a child’s life. My love of Disney motivated me to run my first half marathon there in 2011. I just run my first full marathon there this year. It was very nice to reconnect with you through the hop!

• Thanks, I certainly try my best with my students. And now that my focus will be divided even more (with good reason of course), I hope that I’m still able to be just as effective in working with my students as I was before little man was born.

6. What a special time in your life! Enjoy your mat leave.

Let’s see, my hats include: Runner, child of God, wife, dog and cat mom, fundraiser, blogger, and many more. I love changing hats 🙂 Almost as much as my sister in law loves changing purses.

7. Josephine says:

your little guy is super cute! isn’t the mama hat the best? I wear a lot of hats too including many of the same ones as you ( runner, mom, dog mom and wife) my 5th would be student – student of life, of everything, because i feel like im always learning/studying 😉

8. Nice to meet you via the blog hop! Congratulations on your new addition. I’m sure that you’ll be able to find a balance between work/home/motherhood/running when you return to work. It helps that you love what you do!

9. Sun says:

Great post, Kathryn! Your little one and pup are both so adorable and I think it’s so great you and your husband are able to share a love of running. i hope even with the new baby you’ll be able to enjoy runs together – maybe with a running stroller? 🙂

10. That is so awesome Kathryn that your husband inspired you to start running and that yall do it together now! I bet that little one will follow right along too! I’ve enjoyed getting to know a little more about you! Isn’t this hop just wonderful?

11. Beautiful! I love those photos! I may ‘borrow’ this blog idea for another Friday. 🙂 I am all of those except switch teacher for pharmacy tech/personal trainer. 😉

12. Kim Hatting says:

I loved reading this 😉 I wear most of the same hats as you…except I do not have a teacher hat. I could easily substitute in an “art geek” hat, though. It’s great that you and Your husband are able to enjoy running together…you might want to consider getting a jogging stroller 😉

13. Ange says:

Awww Riley looks like such a super sweet dog. I love the note your students left for you, that’s so wonderful.

14. This is a great idea for a post! 🙂 I am a teacher as well… and Cat Momma.

15. And may I say, you wear those 5 hats extremely well!!!
    I knew you were a teacher, but either I missed it before, but did not know you were a social studies teacher. Very cool! Not that I have the patience for kids, but if I did I think history/social studies would be the most interesting to teach!

16. MB Jackson says:

Nice post! We do wear lots of hats and I believe that never changes! Congrats on the new baby, that is a game changer that brings new joys daily! Awesome that the hubby ran the half with you- that definitely is a moment you don’t forget! Enjoy all that family time, those students will have lots of questions when you get back!

17. I love that you and your husband were able to cross the finish line together! What a sign of support, solidarity and commitment that is! I wish my husband were a runner, although I’m currently taking a break myself. I am 31 weeks pregnant and it’s just not as easy for me to continue. So *maybe* when the baby comes I can rope him into running with me since we’ll be at the same level! Haha! I’ve been following you on social media for a while and your son is just beautiful. Motherhood looks great on you!

18. I’ve followed you on bloglovin’ for a while but I don’t think I had the chance to tell you congrats on the baby! I’m sure lots of things are different now, but I’m also sure you’ll be able to find a routine again once you get back into running and work!

My hats are pretty much runner, obstacle course racer, nerd (I’m a huge Harry Potter and Disney fan and have been my whole life!), daughter and girlfriend (to the most amazing guy ever 🙂 ). There aren’t a lot of things I have time for with two jobs, so most of my spare time is spent training for all the races I do- and there are a lot! I’m doing my second half and first Disney half this weekend at Princess and I can’t wait!

Great photos of you with your son and your furbaby 🙂 That note from your students was so sweet!

20. These is a sweet post and it was nice reading more about you! 🙂 I’m pretty similar to you in the hats I wear. I used to be a teacher (nutrition ed for K-8 as well as college) but left that to run my own corporate wellness business as well as my blog. I’m starting to adjunct teach again this semester and am excited to add that component back into my life again.

21. mkadens1 says:

Aw what a sweet post! I’m sure the addition of that mama hat changed up lots of things for you, in a great way of course! Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave. Those days are precious.

22. Great post idea! Makes you think how many hats we all wear! For me, I’m a Mom (2 girls), Wife (8 years), Runner, Physical Activity Advocate by day and night 🙂 So many more things, dog mom, soccer player.

23. cassi9879b says:

Wellness Coach
    Purchasing Manager
    Wife
    Mother
    Cat Mama

Awww, love this! Mothers wear a multitude of hats thats for sure!

25. Farrah says:

I love this–I wear a bunch of different hats as well–I hope to be able to adopt a dog from a rescue someday when I’m done moving all over the place! ❤ Your dog is adorable, and I love that race picture! :]

26. cardigansarah says:

I love this post! I’m going to do one for myself and then I’ll link back to your inspirational post!

27. Look at your babies (human and pet)!!

Beautiful wedding pic!!

Congrats on your 1st half….that pic is soooooo awesome!

I wear many hats as well….I think it is a requirement for moms 😉

28. Yay Mother runners! Riley is adorable.

29. This is so lovely. When do you go back to work? It seems like all your students love you, so hopefully they’ll help make your transition back easy peasy 🙂

30. We wear so many of the same hats! Runner, Mom, Wife, Teacher and Dog Mom. Enjoy the last time of your maternity leave. It’s such a special time. 🙂

31. acbrandt says:

Sounds like you have a full life! Congrats on your new little one–motherhood is exhausting but so worth it!

32. Loved getting to know you through this post! Congrats on being a new mom, that’s definitely exciting! 🙂
    I don’t have any kids, well less for my feathered ones. I have a parakeet named Angel, and a lovebird named Indy. Both are my babies and I love them oh so much. I’m also a runner, something I love so much.

33. You wear your hats well! Love the race pic! It looks like you guys are flying!
    I don’t have any kiddos yet and we can’t have a dog in our rental house, but one day soon for both! Until then, the kiddos I nanny and teach/tutor will be my kids! Also a wife, trainer in training, friend, and traveler!
    Nice to see you on the hop! 🙂

34. Hi Kathryn! Catching up on my comments from the blog hop. So great to meet you! Congratulations on being a new mom. I’m not a mother (yet), but I can only imagine the joy your son brings you. I love your race pictures, and that’s SO great that you get the support from your husband in your running endeavors! That makes it so much better!

35. Riley is so cute! Our youngest just turned a year in January so I just went through the rebuilding phase after giving birth. It’s tough! Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave- it goes by too quickly!

36. Hello from the blog hop! I love this post – it’s amazing how many hats you are wearing and you’re doing awesome at all of it! I didn’t know you were a dancer before this blog hop so I’m excited to have learned something new!

37. Ahhh, I’ll be running my next half marathon at 24 weeks pregnant too! I have to get back in the groove…the first trimester just knocked me off my feet! So tired and nauseous all the time. You’re giving me hope that I’ll be able to do it!! 🙂