ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

This past week of training was one of the those weeks that just didn’t go as planned due to several circumstances that were beyond my control.  Last weekend we were in Illinois for little man’s baptism, and flew back to Virginia on Monday.  However, we got home much later than originally planned, which meant that my plans to go to the grocery store Monday night went out the window.  Little man had several rough days last week, and I wasn’t able to get to the store until after Preston got home from work on Tuesday, so there went another day of not being able to get to the gym.  Although I made it to the gym on Wednesday, I wasn’t able to on Thursday and Friday.  Thankfully on Friday I was able to get a Baby Strong workout in at home.  And since I completed my longest run since having little man on Saturday, I decided that it was best to still take my planned rest day on Sunday.

Despite only having run twice this past week, both runs were very exciting.  One of my February goals was to run a sub-34 minute 5k, which I accomplished on Wednesday when I completed my 5k in 33:52.

So excited that I've already met one of my February goals - to run a sub-34 minute 5k

So excited that halfway through the month I’ve already met one of my February goals – to run a sub-34 minute 5k

Then on Saturday when I ran 4 miles, I completed the ZOOMA Run Love Challenge.  Participating in this virtual race allowed me to run my first postpartum race, as well as to earn a medal for doing so.

zooma run love

Despite it being a challenging and busy week, I still made the best of it and got in my workouts when I was able to.

Mon 2/8 – Travel/rest day

Tues 2/9 – Rest day

Wed 2/10 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.35 mile cool down walk, 30 minutes of weight training (upper body, lower body, abs)

Thurs 2/11 – Rest day

Fri 2/12 – Baby Strong Workout – 30 minutes of strength training (upper body, lower body, and abs)

Sat 2/13 – 4.o0 mile run on the treadmill, 0.51 mile cool down walk

Sun 2/14 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 7.96 miles (3.70 miles less than week 1)

Total ZOOMA Mileage – 19.62 miles

This past week has been a reminder of several things, most importantly, that life with a baby is unpredictable and that things rarely go as planned.  This is one of the many reasons why I’ve opted to follow an 18 week training plan as I prepare for my first postpartum half marathon, so that I have the flexibility needed without sacrificing my ability to properly prepare to run 13.1 miles in June.

QOTD: How do you handle things when they don’t go as you hope they will?

This entry was posted in Training, ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

1. You are handling things the best you can!
    In reality, I bet you can even beat your 33:52 5K time once you are running outside again. For some reason I don’t seem to go as fast on a TM and I know others who are the same way. Good job!

2. Good for you girl! Yes life with children is definitely unpredictable at times! Great job on that 5K! And what a fun virtual race! But 4 degrees???? Wow!!!

Great job with all the curve balls. I think an 18-week plan is great, and you have room to go with the flow when you need too. Hopefully Little Man will have a better week, it’s never fun.

4. I think having enough time to make room for little man’s inevitable interruptions is key for you. You’re doing great!

5. Josephine says:

way to go! when things dont go as expected which has happened a lot lately) i remind my self that all days/runs/workouts cant be great just like all cant suck and i try to think (overthink?) my plan and make sure its reasonable 😉

6. With running, nothing can every go as planned, at least that is what I think:) That is kinda the beauty in it too, the unpredictableness of it.
    I think that is why I (even before when I ran) never relied on specific training plans, because you just kinda have to allow for life to happen, even without kids things are always coming up.
    I am sure being a mother, you’ll get plenty of “life” happening! As my sisters would say, enjoy the first year, and the naps, because once they don’t take naps and want your attention all the time, it really gets hard to run, my one sister has to get creative with it. The others either get up before the family or wait until everyone’s asleep to get there’s in.

7. Way to nail that 5K goal! And your first race back – woohoo!

Congrats on making that sub 34 minute 5k so quickly! And life happens, other things have to be a priority at times.

9. Elle says:

Congratulations on that 5k PR/goal… way to go!

10. Life rarely goes as planned right?! Awesome that you are getting your speed back so quickly

11. MCM Mama says:

I am an expert at rolling with it. Life never goes as planned. Life is always busy. I constantly rearrange my runs. Sometimes it all comes out ok, sometimes I run a race with less training than I’d like. But as long as I fit things in wherever and whenever I can, I feel good about it. Keep up the good work with training when you can.

12. It’s so hard to be a running mama with a baby. I used to set my oldest son in his car seat next to my treadmill and sing to him. Of course, he cried the whole time. It was so hard!

13. Anything with a baby is unpredictable-right!?

Good job with the 18 week training….you will do well with the little hick ups that are bound to happen!

Yup ran the Love Run in feels like 2 temps on Saturday…brrrr!!

14. Wise mama! The 18 week program is great for new moms. Looks like you are motivated and getting it done!!

15. Kim Hatting says:

it may seem like everything is a whirlwind….but you are doing great! You are getting a lot of quality workouts knocked out despite being a mom to a newborn 24/7. Your priorities are right where they need to be 😉

16. natrunsfar says:

Yes to flexibility!! Babies are rarely predictable 🙂 You are doing so awesome with your running and I think you are so smart to do an 18 week program. You will be so ready to run happy in June!!

17. Coco says:

Hah, yes, that is an important lesson of motherhood! You need to plan but be flexible because often things won’t go as planned.

18. Ah yes, the joys/perils of being a mother runner! I have learned to just roll with the punches and squeeze in my workouts whenever/where ever I can!

19. Way to go Kathryn! I’ll text ya when the snail mail is on its way 🙂

20. Toni says:

Life is def unpredictable with a baby! Great job on reaching your 5 k goal and an 18 week trying plan sounds perfect for your situation!

21. You truly are amazing! You are rolling with the punches and doing the best you can!

22. Ange says:

There must have been something in the air last week – so many people had wrenches thrown in their plans!
    You’re doing great at taking things day-by-day and two great runs is always excellent!

23. You had a great training week!! Way to go!

Great job lady! Learning to be flexible was totally key for me as a parent. Sometimes I don’t adjust to being flexible as good as I should though 😉

25. Congrats on your sub 34 minute 5k!

26. Farrah says:

Looks like a great training week, even despite not everything going according to plan! I love planning things, but have also had to accept that things don’t always go according to em’–life likes to just do what it wants! 😛

27. Rachel says:

Sounds like even though things haven’t gone completely according to plan, you’ve handled it so gracefully! I have to admit, I don’t always handle things well when they don’t go according to plan – I totally let it stress me out! I think my baby girl has taught me more about flexibility, patience, and going with the flow than I ever would have learned otherwise!

28. You are doing such an awesome job of getting back into running post-baby! Hope to see you in Annapolis!

29. Darlene says:

I can’t imagine running & taking care of a baby. I have a hard enough time fitting it in taking care of myself. I heard Annapolis is a great race. I’m doing my first ZOOMA in September in cape Cod.

30. MB Jackson says:

great week! Did you like all the ZOOMA swag? I thought it was great! I am planning on running ZOOMA Cape Cod and Florida! Smart on the training schedule, take care of yourself!

31. Pingback: ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running