February 2016 Monthly Goals

January was a unique month for me for many reasons.  Not only was it my first full month as a mother, but it was also the first time in I can’t remember how long when for much of the month I wasn’t allowed to exercise as I would have wanted to.  Although my exercise was also extremely limited in December, I hadn’t been told by a doctor not to exercise (until after little man was born on December 23rd), but rather to listen to my body and do what I felt up to doing.  In January, on the other hand, I spent three of the four weeks forbidden from doing any exercise other than walking.  It felt amazing to be cleared by my OB on January 20th to resume running, and I certainly didn’t hold back once I received the all clear to get moving again.

Despite being able to only walk for the majority of January, I got outside or hopped on the treadmill at the gym when time allowed, which helped me in surpassing my January mileage goal.  I successfully met my other two January goals as well.

jan 2016 goals

1.  Log at least 20 miles.

Grade: A

My January mileage total was a whopping 28.28 miles.  Surprisingly, it was more mileage than my November and December totals combined.  Clearly, I was motivated get out there and moving once both my body felt up to it and my OB gave me the go ahead to start running again.

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Grade: A

Although I was out there and moving quite a bit, I moved at a pace that my healing body was comfortable with.  There were also many days when I wanted to either get outside for a walk or walk further than I did, but my soreness kept me from doing otherwise.

3.  Not to be too aggressive with resuming exercise.

Grade: B

I would say I was more motivated than aggressive.  There were only a couple of days when I probably pushed my body more than I should have, as evidenced by the soreness that I felt.

January was definitely about finding a balance between my overly motivated self and what I was physically capable of.  I’m still healing from giving birth, but I’m also eager to get back to my pre-pregnancy abilities.  I’ll be keeping that need for balance in mind while exercising this month.

feb 2016 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 45 miles.

This goal should be more than attainable as long as I follow my ZOOMA Annapolis training plan of running three times per week.  I hope to also incorporate at least one day of cross training into my weekly training.

2.  Run a sub 34 minute 5k.

This is far from my current 5k PR – 30:33, which I set last April.  However, since I resumed running about two weeks ago my pace has slowly been getting faster as I become comfortable running again.  Last night, I ran a 5k in 34:17, so that means I need to cut 18 seconds off of my 5k time this month in order to meet my goal.

34 min 5k

3.  Strength train at least twice a week.

Whether its at the gym using weights, or at home doing Baby Strong workouts with little man, I want to make sure that I make strength training a priority this month.  Not only will this help me to become stronger as I continue my postpartum recovery, but it’ll also help prevent injury as I slowly increase my mileage.

4.  Do something for myself everyday.

For the first two weeks of February, I’m participating in Mar’s 14 Days of Self Challenge.  My goal is to continue this practice for the duration of the month, even after the challenge ends.  Part of being a good mom to little man is making sure that I also make time for myself each day, even if its something as simple as taking a few minutes just to get in the shower.

QOTD: What are your goals for February?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to February 2016 Monthly Goals

Great job with your January goals! And I love that you included doing something for yourself every day in there for February 🙂 It’s a great habit to get into.

2. I think doing something for yourself is important, especially as a new Mom.

3. I think doing something for yourself is so important, to as you commented, stay sane and happy and keep your workout buddy on the same wavelength. It’s a journey you’re on together now, and if both of you aren’t happy, nobody will be 🙂

4. Love your goal of doing something for yourself each day! And congrats on your baby!!! So soon post partum and you’re doing so great. I was a hot mess for a looong time after my kiddies were born.

5. Wow you did an amazing job on your goals, and I’m so glad that you are taking care of your body! I’m thankful that God gave us bodies to take care of. ❤

It’s exciting to start training. I’m keeping up with my training plan and trying to stay with my goal of more yoga. I don’t know if it’s helping, but it does feel good to stretch out.

7. I’ve always loved how goal oriented your life is! No doubt you’ll get your sub 34!!!
    I do have a goal this month, I’d like to gradually build my mileage up and get back by the end of the month to around 6-10 miles. It might be a bit ambitious with my current issues, but if things go well, I see no reason why not try!

8. elenasonnino says:

Great job on your goals! My goals for this month are to drink more water, practice yoga in the studio at least 3x/week and daily practice of one pose at home and to get back to a 6 am wake up in the morning.

I think doing something for yourself everyday is a great goal. As mom’s we end up giving to everyone else and often forgetting that we are important too!!

10. So awesome! I think continuing to focus on your overall well-being is a great goal for February even after the challenge ends 🙂

11. Boom. Way to rock your January goals! My Feb goals are to just stay consistent and try to cut back on the vino….we will see 😛

You have been so smart about your return to exercise post delivery. You will crush that 5k goal very soon. Many new mothers could learn alot from you about recovery and holding back on doing too much exercise/running right away!

13. Great job with your January goals! My plan is to keep building my base: run 3x week, yoga and strength training.

14. mkadens1 says:

You had a great January and I think that sub-34 5k is going to be yours sooner than later!

15. Melissa @ See Dav Run says:

Great goals, esp taking care of yourself everyday – so important for you and your family’s health and happiness. Here’s to a great February! 🙂

16. you are rocking your goals! i think feb will be great for you!

17. Sounds like a good approach to your first full month back exercising. Just out of curiosity, why do you track elliptical miles? I’ve never really seen that done in any of my training plans so was curious about it.

18. Great goals to have! I need to run more as well. Replying to Christine above, I also track my XT miles mainly so I know how many total miles I’ve done. for cycling, I found a 45 min class as about 4 miles. Obviously it’s not running miles, so I track them separately, btu just another interesting thing to track 🙂

19. Great job getting back to your workouts! And I’m doing Mar’s challenge too – it’s so much fun getting to do things for myself every day without needing an excuse to do it!

20. carmyy says:

I’ve been trying to get back to strengthen training x2 a week! It always seems to be the first to go when busy!

21. Pingback: ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2 | From Dancing to Running

22. Pingback: The Importance of Self Care as a New Mother | From Dancing to Running

23. Pingback: March 2016 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running