Friday Five – Five Signs You’re a New Mom

So much has changed over the past five and a half weeks since little man was born.  While I love my little man dearly, there are some changes that I either wasn’t expecting, or I was hoping I’d avoid having happen to me.   When you read and/or hear stories from other mothers about how their lives were altered by the presence of a baby at home, you often think or say to yourself, “Oh that won’t happen to me!”  While I’ve been able to avoid facing some of those scenarios, others have simply been unavoidable.

So what are some of these new realities that I’ve had to face, or what I’m deeming “Signs You’re a New Mom”?  (Some of these I expected to have happen, but others I could have never predicted would have happened.)

1.  You used to be able to shower, eat, and pretty much do anything you wanted at whatever time you wanted.  Now, your world revolves around baby and that means that even things as simple as taking a shower have to be scheduled, particularly around baby’s eating and napping routine.

2.  Working out used to be so much a part of your routine that if you missed one day, it wasn’t a huge deal.  Now, you fit a work out in when you can and see it as a chance to escape the house and have a little “me” time.  Some days, that “me” time is so necessary, especially on days when baby has been extra fussy.

3.  Prior to becoming a mom, you’d come home from the gym and immediately shower.  Now, you come home, feed the baby, put them to bed, eat your own dinner, and then decide that its about time that you finally get in the shower.

4.  You thought you were great at multitasking, and then multitasking is taken to an entirely new level once baby enters the picture.  When the baby is crying and things need to be done, you figure out a way to do it, such as balancing both the baby and the laptop on your lap because the baby cries whenever you try to put them down but at the same time you have time sensitive things that need to be taken care of online.

multitasking

5.  What constitutes a “clean” house also takes on an entirely new meaning.  Prior to baby being born, you thought that having a clean house meant that it was spotless – everything was put away, dusted, and well kept, and that there wasn’t any dirty laundry.  Now, a “clean” house simply means that things are relatively tidy, there aren’t dirty dishes in the sink, and that the dirty laundry pile is manageable.

QOTD: What was one reality that you had to face as a new mother?

DC-Trifecta-Friday-Five-linkup

This entry was posted in Parenthood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Friday Five – Five Signs You’re a New Mom

1. Ha sounds about like everything my mom friends have told me! I’m sure it will take time to find your new normal but it sounds like you guys have done pretty well, all things considered. And glad you’re able to find some workout time…I can imagine that’s helpful in so many ways, particularly with mental health.

2. SO TRUE! Ha ha, I can laugh at this now because I totally get it! Being a Mom changes everything but completely worth it!

He looks so content sleeping on your lap. My mom said that’s a “crooked halo” moment since I’d be so incredibly fussy, then conk out and look so angelic.

4. forget showering by yourself for a while! Like a few years 🙂

5. No matter how much someone tells your that being a mom will change you, it is so hard to understand until it actually happens. I mean, I wasn’t naive but gosh, even the most simple tasks become a challenge. It’s all worth though… even on the most challenging of days. Just remember to be kind to yourself in the process.

6. Erin says:

lol SO true! 🙂 i miss eating, …

7. I don’t have kids, but I can only imagine how much it changes your life. I’m sure he is priority #1. Keeping him healthy and happy is key and everything else in life becomes a nice-to-have.

8. mkadens1 says:

When I was a new mom I had to really raise the bar on creativity when it came to things like showering and working out. Using baby as a weight and dragging a bouncy chair or swing over near the treadmill or in the bathroom were some of my tricks.

• I’ve been using him as a weight as part of the Baby Strong campaign that I’m doing with Fit Approach. I’ll definitely be continuing to do the workouts with him even after the campaign ends since it really is a great workout, and for the most part, he seems to enjoy it.

9. C. P. says:

My new reality after become a mom is not having time to go to the bathroom! I laugh!!!! but is true… Now my baby walk and open doors so Can you imagine!

10. Great read! My little guy is due to arrive in a couple weeks, but I am positive all these will ring true for me!

11. I wasn’t prepared to have such a little cluster feeder! And like you mentioned, things like taking a shower or just using the bathroom to pee have to be scheduled…but when I look at this adorable little face, the stress melts away. It’s such a blessing and a privilege to be a Mommy 🙂

12. irenejean says:

One reality I had to face was that my/our plans mean nothing to our baby. Sometimes he cooperates, other times…

13. Aww, you’re doing a great job mama. Hang in there!

14. Rachel says:

I dropped all “time sensitive” things from my vernacular as soon as I had my first. I’m *just* now getting back into anything time sensitive at all. And it’s been 6 years… (and another baby)…

You’re doing great. 🙂

15. Having my first really rocked my world. For all the reasons you mentioned. Having two meant I was never on time for anything at first. I try really hard to be sensitive to all those new moms who show up late for their first couple of appointments with me.

16. I totally get this. I lived this. Three times. I feel like I could have written this – great post!

17. Kim Hatting says:

I think my big reality change was that the baby (more often than not) had to come first. Yes, I got that I also needed to take care of myself (and I did), but it was a major shift (and a great one!) to have someone else be my focus. I managed to find a way to at least have a little bit of make-up on each day (even if it was just eye-liner), and I took a few minutes to “freshen up” each day (not always a full shower, but at least a change of clothes LOL) Gosh, that was SO long ago… 😉

18. jillconyers says:

My reality was realizing how much sleep deprivation truly affects you and how long you can keep going even when you’re tired. My reality was also realizing the true capacity of the heart to love another human being. Being mom is the best job ever!

I have to admit, these very reasons are part of what made me hesitate to even have kids from the start. I know that it’s all totally worth it but man is it life altering!

20. Coco says:

My definition of doing laundry changed permanently – it used to include putting the clean clothes away, Now it’s all I can do to remember to pull the last load out of the dryer before it all wrinkles.

21. I’m now facing the reality of “I want to sign up for this race/go visit this friend/go on vacation with my husband….but what would I do with my daughter?!” Babies makes some of those things nearly impossible!

22. You are doing great, mom! 🙂