Scenes from Blizzard 2016

This past weekend we lived through a historic blizzard here in the DC area.  At our house in Northern Virginia, it snowed from 12:45 p.m. on Friday until just before midnight Saturday night.  Nearly 35 hours straight of snowfall resulted in over 30 inches of snow.  Its amazing to look at the pictures of the snow on our deck and see the progression of just how much snow accumulated during the storm.

On top - 8:15 p.m. on Friday, about 7.5 hours after the snow started On bottom - 8:15 a.m. on Saturday

On top – 8:15 p.m. on Friday, about 7.5 hours after the snow started
On bottom – 8:15 a.m. on Saturday

On top - 8:15 p.m. on Saturday On bottom - Sunday morning after it snowed 30 inches over the span of almost 36 hours

On top – 8:15 p.m. on Saturday
On bottom – Sunday morning after it snowed 30 inches over the span of almost 35 hours

Over the weekend, Preston was on shoveling duty while I was on baby duty.  He spent countless hours on Saturday and Sunday clearing our driveway, front steps, and our deck.  The last thing we want to face is a potential deck collapse due to the weight of 30 inches of snow.  But now we can get to our grill, and plan to put meat on the grill for tonight’s dinner.  Priorities, right?

shoveling the deck

I never expected to have to shovel a deck, but at least we can make it to our grill again!

Just because we were snowed in didn’t mean that I sat still though.  Through my affiliation with Fit Approach as a Sweat Pink Ambassador, I was offered the opportunity a couple of weeks back to participate in the Baby Strong Workout Challenge.  I received the deck of workout cards a little over a week ago, but being snowed in gave me the perfect opportunity to pull the cards out and get my sweat on here at home.  On Saturday I completed the first day of the challenge, and today I plan to complete day two.  I’ll share more about the challenge in a separate blog post once I complete it, but for now I’ll share that I’m loving the exercises, not only because they allow me to workout from the comfort of my own house but also because it gives little man and I the chance to have some mother-son bonding time, as all of the workouts are intended to be done while holding your baby.

Working on my core while holding little man

Working on my core while holding little man

Schools around here are all canceled today, and the federal government is also closed.  Today will be another day of digging out (hopefully our street will finally be plowed today!).  On Saturday we only lost power temporarily, about 5 minutes the first time that it went out and for about 10 minutes the second time.  Thankfully the power quickly came back on.  I can’t imagine what life at our house would have been like with a newborn if we had lost power for longer than we did.

Here’s to everybody staying warm, and if you were affected by the blizzard hopefully you’ve been able to make progress digging out.

QOTD: What is your go to at home workout?

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Training and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Scenes from Blizzard 2016

1. I love that you are participating in this workout challenge. I’m looking forward to reading about it. And your baby would have been fine with or without power…it’s you that would have been uncomfortable! Hope your snow goes away quickly.

2. I was wondering how everyone would fare with the power up there. Glad you guys didn’t have any issues! And I definitely don’t envy Preston having to shovel all that snow. That is one of my least favorite things on this earth to do. Luckily we just had a little bit to shovel off our driveway and steps. Hope your road gets cleared soon!

3. I like the idea of working out with baby! My baby is now 10 years old and we bike/run together occasionally. 🙂 we got about 18 inches here and my go-to has been my treadmill and lots of dumbbell work. They started plowing our road yesterday but we live on top of a mountain so it’s still very slick and I don’t like the idea of driving down just yet.

I’m glad your power wasn’t out too long! My main worry was losing power during the storm but it seems like most people were able to keep their power. I love that you have those work outs you can do while holding the baby!

5. That snow is absolutely insane! I live in Canada and I haven’t seen a snowstorm like that in a very, very long time! He definitely had a great workout with all the shoveling.

6. Those look like awesome workouts for you and Baby Thayer! The snow was ridiculous, but it ended up making for an awesome NYC weekend. I know DC is still pretty shut down, best of luck digging out 🙂

7. Aww, love the idea of workouts with your little guy! That is some CRAZY snow…we got hit pretty hard here (central NJ), too, but I think you guys win! Best of luck with digging out, I know it’s sooo annoying, lol.

8. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Wow you really got a lot of snow, crazy to see how it progressed! Philly got about 20 inches, but I’m back at work today and hoping I’ll be able to move my car to drive to work tomorrow. Very cool that you can do workouts while holding your baby!

I always worry about losing power when we get ice storms. It’s not just being cold, but if it gets cold enough inside, I worry the pipes will break. I don’t think the mainline pipes are deep enough in the ground, and they break every winter.

10. Fun challenge for you to participate in and meet new bloggers I assume! My yard looks a lot like your yard! I am off the snow shoe today again it’s hard work

Wow that’s insane!! I am so glad you guys didn’t lose power…that would have been miserable, especially with a baby!

12. thebarbella says:

That deck of cards sounds fabulous, I’m going to have to check it out for a mother to be at our gym. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to that post. Glad ya’lls power stayed on!!

13. Sarah Mears says:

Im over on the Eastern Shore, so it was more mild, but my parents live in Ashburn and the pics were insane! Even just looking at it made me feel trapped!

14. Maureen says:

That is a CRAZY amount of snow! Glad you got a good workout in. 🙂

15. Congrats on surviving the storm! I was so happy we didn’t lose power, too. I kind of wish NYC was still shut down today so that I’d have a free day off work, but alas, they were good about clearing everything up. Booo! haha

16. mkadens1 says:

That storm was a true whopper. Glad your power wasn’t out very long. When I’m housebound I’m all about the HIIT workouts.

17. I just turned on some music and did some HIITs in my living room until I got my 10,000 steps in. I would not rest until then!

18. The snow pictures are beautiful! I had to laugh at the grill comment, that is so totally something you’d hear someone say in Utah. People BBQ outside in snowstorms all the time, LOL When you wanna grill, you wanna grill, like you said priorities, LOL
    You guys have been on our news a lot. We are really hoping your Gov’t officials figure out ways to prevent having to close up cities and roads and can prepare in advance even for big storms like this, you just don’t see closures like that out here at all. Just to be safer for all of you living out there, I think the cities owe you guys more.
    But I bet the kids are loving their snow day! I know my nephew, was saying last night he didn’t think it was fair he got 2 feet of snow Sunday and there is no way he was going to luck out with a snow day here. He keeps hoping for one, I told him keep hoping, we never got them when I was younger either, LOL
    I am glad they got your power on quick. I do hope they get out and get your roads cleared enough to drive on, so you guys can all get out where you need to go safely! Enjoy your snow, and stay warm:)

• Its definitely a major safety issue when it takes as long as it is to dig everybody out. The path that the snow plows made on our street is so narrow that I’m not sure emergency vehicles could fit down here if there was in fact an emergency.

19. Coco says:

We were so glad we didn’t lose power! That workout sounds perfect!

20. Oh, gosh! That is a TON of snow! I’m so glad you’ve been able to dig mostly out! I just can’t believe how crazy that blizzard was!

21. MCM Mama says:

Glad you didn’t lose power for long! I was totally freaked out about that possibility. My go to workout at home used to be my treadmill, but lately it’s either HIIT with weights or my exercise bike. Hope it’s the treadmill again soon. Hope you get plowed out soon – our street isn’t yet, but if I really wanted to go, I could probably get out now.

22. jillconyers says:

I only workout at home so I don’t really have a go to. I’m loving a variety of workouts right now.

23. i cant even imagine that much snow! the only blizzards i had were in college and the school plowed the sidewalks, we did have to put salt on our steps though.

and i love working out at home! it definitely is quicker than going some where and allows for extra flexibility

24. It’s so crazy how much snow yall got!

25. this blizzard was so crazy! and a lot in my neighborhood is melted already. I saw green on my run! Great you have an opportunity to workout with baby – looks fun! I can’t workout at home. Planks, best I can do. Stay dry! 🙂

26. runsaltrun says:

Baby Strong?? I wish that was around when B was so little like that! How cool and what a fun way to pass the time with your little guy. Love the time lapse of your deck. Looks like a very familiar scene around here. 🙂

27. Pingback: My Long Awaited 2016 Goals | From Dancing to Running

28. Wow at those pictures! I kept showing your pictures to my boys and they were amazed! Of course we have never seen real snow before so it’s hard to imagine! Glad y’all were safe and your power was on for the most part. When my oldest was 3 weeks old Hurricane Katrina came through. We lost power for a week…and it was in the heat of August. My newborn was miserable!

29. Working out with a baby sounds super challenging! I can barely balance just myself! I clicked the Baby Strong link out of curiosity, and it seems like such a great tool for moms. I can’t imagine how tough it must be to try to fit in workouts with a new baby, on top of all of the other responsibilities you have. Go you!

30. Pingback: Let the Training for Half #7 Begin! | From Dancing to Running

31. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1 | From Dancing to Running