My Return to Running

Yesterday morning I had my four week postpartum follow up appointment with my OB.  Ever since scheduling this appointment, I’ve been crossing my fingers that I would be cleared to resume exercise, particularly running.

Over the past four weeks, I’ve been consistently walking, progressively walking at a faster pace and for a longer distance.  My first couple of walks after delivering little man were quite trying.  Between my then lingering sciatic nerve pain (its pretty much gone now) as well as being sore from the delivery itself, my first walks were more of a shuffle down the street than an actual walk.  Over the past couple of weeks, walking has become progressively easier, and on Saturday I completed an almost three and a half mile powerwalk on one of the trails near our house at a pace that I was quite pleased with.

3.46 mile powerwalk

As the day of my appointment became closer and closer, I began to worry that I wouldn’t be cleared to start exercising again.  I’ll spare you the TMI details, but let’s just say that my OB had to stitch me up for about thirty minutes after little man was born and that I’m still quite sore.  My OB shared at yesterday’s appointment that she was expecting my stitches to be a bit more healed than they are at this point, but was okay clearing me to resume running as well as some other exercise, with the disclaimer that I have to listen to my body and not overdo lower body weight training.  While she didn’t 100 percent clear me, I’ll take what I can get, and am hopeful that at my eight week postpartum appointment that I’ll be further along in the recovery process.

To say that I was excited to receive my partial clearance from my OB is an understatement.  I’d been hoping and praying for the good news for so long, and was of course eager to go for a run as soon as possible.  Thankfully, Preston didn’t have to work late yesterday, and once he was home and little man was fed, I headed off to the gym to run on the treadmill.

The last time that I ran was at Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly back on Halloween.  I was anticipating that my first run in almost three months wouldn’t go well at all.  I knew that my pace would be much slower than I’m accustomed to, but my endurance was actually much better than I feared it would be.  My three mile run on the treadmill went so much better than I had mentally prepared myself for, and as I finished it felt incredible to know that I’m officially back to running.

3 mile run

I’m not sure when the next time that I’ll get to run will be.  With an impending snowstorm anticipated to start mid to late in the day on Friday, getting out of the house will be even more difficult than it is with just having a newborn at home.  We’re under a Blizzard Watch, and as of last night are estimated to get anywhere between 18 and 24 inches of snow between Friday and Sunday.

Photo Credit: NBC Washington

Photo Credit: NBC Washington

I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to run again sooner than later.  And until my next run, I’ll be basking in the glory of having conquered my first postpartum run.

QOTD: What recent fitness accomplishment do you want to brag about?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to My Return to Running

1. Wow, how great for you! I have a lot of friends who did “everything right” during pregnancy from a fitness standpoint and weren’t cleared until 6 weeks, so it seems you are very fortunate. I can tell I’m getting a lot stronger at PT these days and I’m hoping that leads to running again soon.

Yay for being cleared for a run! it sounds like your first post-baby run went really well. I also have to say I’m impressed with your walking pace 🙂

3. Congratulations on the first step on your road back to running – I won’t say like you used to, because I have a feeling life will NEVER be like it used to be again for you in the best way 🙂

4. Aww, congrats on your first post-baby run! Excited for you to be back to running! I know any time I ever take a break from running, I ALWAYS panic about how hard that “first run” back will be…and it’s never as bad as I thought. And, yes, this weekend’s forecast should make for some interesting running conditions…lol.

Congrats, and your run sounds awesome! Good luck with the blizzard, and I hope it’s not as bad as the panic is making it out to be. I don’t miss being in the northeast because people panic every year, and it snows every year.

6. Glad you were able to go for a run before the snow 🙂 Welcome back!

Congrats on being cleared to run and having such a great first run on the treadmill. I had no idea that DC had so much snow in the forecast,. Hope your pantry is full!

8. I was so glad to see you got to run. How excited are you for little man’s first real snow? Can you believe they’ve already closed Metro this weekend??

9. Hooray!!! I’m so glad you were given the ok. I hope the snow isn’t as bad as they predict, by you and up by me!

10. H.A.G. says:

Congrats on being able to run again and for 4 weeks out and wanting to!

11. That’s great you were cleared after 4 weeks! I had to wait 6 weeks, and even then I found it hard to motivate myself (or even just be able to leave the house)!

12. Wow look at you that’s really awesome! I bet that run felt amazing to be back in your own body so to speak. Take it slow mama!

13. I’m so glad you got to run! And you had a great pace too! I hear ya on the healing. When I had my first one I tore to the 3rd degree (sorry if TMI). I was sore for months afterwards. But it eventually got better! So proud of you girl!

14. runsaltrun says:

Welcome baaaaaaack!!! I’m so excited for you! I’m envisioning a lot more treadmill in my future. This storm is going to be a beast! (Stay safe down there!)

15. MCM Mama says:

Woohoo for getting to run! Just take it easy and remember the 10% rule and don’t add too much mileage too fast. Enjoy being snowed in – we are fully stocked and as ready as we are going to get.

16. natrunsfar says:

This is so exciting!! Really happy for you and just take it easy. Enjoy every moment!
    I can’t believe you guys are under blizzard watch! Stay safe and warm!! xo

17. jillconyers says:

You are a running mom rock star! It feels great to be back doesn’t it.

18. Congrats on getting back to running! This is so exciting! And good luck on your first blizzard with a baby. Hopefully you both have fun getting snowed in!

19. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 11 | From Dancing to Running

Yay! So glad you are back! Just take it slow, which I know you will 🙂

21. Pingback: My Long Awaited 2016 Goals | From Dancing to Running

22. Pingback: Let the Training for Half #7 Begin! | From Dancing to Running

23. Pingback: February 2016 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: Friday Five – Five Brands I’m Currently Loving | From Dancing to Running

25. Pingback: The Importance of Self Care as a New Mother | From Dancing to Running

26. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 13 | From Dancing to Running