January 2016 Monthly Goals

Happy New Year everybody!  2015 was quite the year, and I’m looking forward to an even more exciting 2016.

Even though today marks only nine days postpartum, that doesn’t mean that I’m not thinking about my fitness goals for both this month as well as the new year.  Because I was able to maintain a fit pregnancy and remain active for all but the last two weeks of my pregnancy, it should be of no surprise that I’m eager to get moving again.  I’m still dealing with the lower back and hip pain that developed during week 38 of my pregnancy, but thankfully my three visits to the chiropractor this week seem to be helping get me onto the path towards recovery.

Before I look ahead towards my January goals, I want to first look back at how I did with my December goals.

dec 2015 goals

1.  Log at least 20 miles.

Grade: D

I only logged 10.6 miles during the month of December.  Given that the last time that I went to the gym was December 10th, I can’t be disappointed in myself.  Since giving birth, I’ve gone on one slow paced walk.

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Grade: A

When my back and hip pain started to get to the point that I couldn’t exercise any longer, I knew when to call it quits.  Despite wanting to exercise, I knew better than to do so.

3.  Give birth to a healthy baby.

Grade: A

The sacrifices I made during my pregnancy were well worth it once my I learned after my little man’s delivery that he was in fact healthy.

To say that I’m eager to get moving again is an understatement.  I know that I need to let my body continue to recover from giving birth, but at the same time I can’t wait to be cleared by my OB to resume normal exercise.  This month will be about finding balance between my enthusiasm for getting moving again while also being realistic with my expectations and following my doctor’s orders.

jan 2016 goals

1.  Log at least 20 miles.

Given that the only exercise I’m currently approved for is walking, as well as my other monthly goals, I’m trying to be realistic in the number of miles that I’ll be able to log this month.  My first follow up visit with the OB isn’t until January 20th (4 weeks postpartum), and we’ll see at that appointment whether I’m able to resume other forms of exercise.

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Just like with throughout my pregnancy, as I recover from delivery its imperative that I recognize my body’s limitations and not push myself too hard too quickly.  This will definitely be easier said than done given how eager I am to get moving again.

3.  Not to be too aggressive with resuming exercise.

Its easy to get wrapped up in the enthusiasm to want to get back into shape after having a baby, but I also need to be realistic and focus on not overdoing it.  Of my three goals for the month, this will likely be the goal that will be much easier said than done, but probably the most important of my three goals for the month.

QOTD: What are your goals for January?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to January 2016 Monthly Goals

It seems like you are taking a very thoughtful approach to resuming your physical activities postpartum. Taking nice walks with your precious little boy will be something fun and fresh air is always good for everyone! Enjoy this special time.

2. I am so looking forward to watching you come back to fitness with the same thoughtfulness that you did through your pregnancy!

3. You are going to do amazing coming back to fitness! I am still in awe of how well you were able to exercise while pregnant! Enjoy nice little walks with baby boy for now! You will be up in mileage again soon! Congrats again on that sweet boy!!!

4. Coco says:

It is so important to come back slowly and carefully. I pushed it too much after my second and started post-partum bleeding again! It sounds like you are being smart.

5. What an exciting time for you and your family! Take it slow on your way back-motherhood is so exhausting (and amazing) but lots of exhausting the first year!

6. Christine @ Two Runners Travel says:

Those sound like very appropriate goals to me. I’m eager to get back to running again myself but know I need to get my knee and hips healthy again. No races on the calendar definitely helps!

7. Congratulations on your new little one! 🙂 I like your third goal – “Not to be too aggressive with resuming exercise” – because that was exactly what I struggled with too after having my son. As for my own 2016 goals, I need to sit down and really think through them a bit, but one that I really want to focus on is being super on top of meal planning (both for health and budget reasons!).

8. Congratulations again! I hope you are enjoying being a new mom! You’ll get back to exercise in good time and I think these are great, achievable goals! Keep it up, mama!

9. You’re such an inspiration for future me, and I hope you continue to set, meet and exceed your goals – with your sidekick!

You’ve done such a great job, I know you’ll do good postpartum. I know winter’s tough, but hopefully you can get outside in the fresh air with your little guy.

11. briwifruit says:

Going easy on yourself and listening to your body will be most important, for sure! I’m glad those will be your focus postpartum 🙂 Congrats on the new baby!

I think you did great listening to your body and setting realistic goals for yourself in January. This month I’m training again – nice to be on a schedule 🙂

Definitely take it easy and take it slow. Childbirth is one of the biggest exercises you will ever do and so many changes happen to the body after it!! Work that core girlfriend! Congrats again!

14. Congratulations on your sweet new baby! You are going to do great with your goals, just as you’ve been doing! No specific January goals – I have a my first trail race next weekend, so I’d like to do well with that, but that’s about it 🙂 Happy New Year!

15. jillconyers says:

Other than blogging none of my goals for the new year are set, but I love love the idea of monthly goals. You’ve got me thinking 🙂

Congrats to you and your family and welcome to the little man. What a wonderful way to ring in the new year.

16. i love your goals! and you definitely have done a great job listening to your body! My main goal for January is to start off the school semester, back to work and the races I have well by making sure to get as much sleep as possible!

17. SharitaFit says:

Congratulations again! I’m glad to see you aren’t pressured to go full steam ahead until your body is ready! Enjoy the rest, and the newest addition to your family! We’ll see you on the pavement soon enough. 🙂

18. My goals as of this point are just to enjoy life again after the marathon is over. I have no goal for mileage. I will get back to running soon enough!
    Enjoy your time too!

19. Congratulations – this is such an exciting (and tiring) time for you! I love your goals and I wish you an amazing and healthy January!

I think your goals are right on point for the season of life you’re in right now! Happy 2016, Kathryn!! 🙂

21. Great goals and you’re well on your way! Congratulations on your sweet baby boy! He is precious! Happy New Year!!!

22. Pingback: My Long Awaited 2016 Goals | From Dancing to Running