2015: My Year of Running

2015 has been an absolutely incredible, and life changing year.  I accomplished so much when it came to my running, and even though I usually wait until later in the month to start sharing my end of year posts, given that I haven’t run since Halloween I figured now was as good of a time as any to start these posts!

My Running By the Numbers:

• Total Miles Run: 504.6 miles (320.3 miles while pregnant!)
  • 3 Half Marathons
  • 1 Ten Miler
  • 3 10ks
  • 1 8k
  • 5 5ks

My Best Race Experience:

After crossing the finish line of Shamrock Half Marathon and completing the Dolphin Challenge

Running the Shamrock Half Marathon back in March was an absolutely incredible experience.  After months of hard work, focus, and dedication, I was able to PR by almost 11 minutes, even after facing the set back of a major car accident less than two months prior to race day.  Shamrock was by no means an easy race, but it felt great to push through mental and physical barriers that I had during the race and still reach my goal.

Not only did I PR at Shamrock, but Preston and my friend Kathleen who flew out from Illinois for the race also PRed.  It was great that all three of us could celebrate our PRs together, and ring the PR bell on the beach post race.

Part of what also made Shamrock an incredible race experience was that the entire race weekend was very runner centered.  I don’t think I’ve run another race where the race organizers truly have the runners best interests in mind.  And the post race celebration in the party tent on the beach didn’t hurt either.  Shamrock is definitely a race I’ll be returning to in the future.

My Most Scenic Race:

Running along the Schuylkill River during Rock 'n' Roll Philly

Part of the course during Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly

This is a tie between my other two half marathons: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach in September and Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly in October.  Given how much I love the beach, I loved running Virginia Beach, especially finishing the race on the boardwalk and running almost a mile alongside the ocean.  But I also loved running the streets of Philly and running in a new to me city.  I especially enjoyed running/walking alongside the Schuylkill River.

My Worst Race Experience:

cucb

After crossing the finish line of my third ten miler, the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

I hate to focus on the negative, but if I had to choose one race that just wasn’t my race this year it was the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run in April.  My poor race experience had nothing to do with the shortened course (it was cut short due to a a pedestrian who was hit by a car prior to the start of the race), but instead had to do with the poor race organization that I’ve experienced for the past two years.  While the race registration fee was low, I just wish the race organizers would care just as much about middle to back of the pack runners as they do about the front of the pack runners.

My Favorite Medal:

After crossing the finish line of Rock 'n' Roll Philly

After crossing the finish line of Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly

My favorite of the medals that I earned this year is my Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly medal, not because of its beauty but instead because of what it represents.  How many people can say that they’ve run/walked a half marathon at 32 weeks pregnant?

Best Piece of Running Advice I Received:

The best piece of advice, both as it pertained to my running and my pregnancy journey overall, was to listen to my body.  I think one of the biggest reasons why I was able to continue running until I was 32 weeks pregnant was because of listening to my body and making necessary adjustments, including slowing my pace down and increasing the frequency of my walk breaks.

If You Could Sum Up Your Year in a Couple of Words, What Would They Be:

Not every run this year was easy, but I always tried to put my best foot forward

Constantly proving to myself that I could do it.  It wasn’t that I ever doubted my ability to run or continue working out, but I continued to amaze myself at just how long I was able to run while pregnant.  The fact that at 38 weeks pregnant I’m still working out also amazes me.  Sure, I’ve slowed down significantly over the past couple of months, but the fact that I continued running and today am still moving is an incredible accomplishment.

Overall, 2015 was a great year when it came to my running.  I went through an incredible number of changes this year, which back in January I couldn’t have predicted whatsoever.  I know that 2016 will be another year of great change, as I adjust to life as a new mother and reteach my body how to run again.  I can’t wait to see what 2016 has in store for me!

QOTD: How was your year of running?  Did you accomplish everything that you wanted to?  What did you learn this year?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Motivation, Pregnancy, Training and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to 2015: My Year of Running

1. You had an amazing year! The fact that you were able to stay active, much less finish a half marathon that late in your pregnancy, made me so proud of you! Now on to being a mama!

2. You’ve definitely had an amazing year of running! And running while pregnant is just icing on the cake!!!

3. Congratulations on an awesome year. You accomplished so much and also have so much to look forward to!

4. you had a great year and it’s about to get even better soon! 🙂

5. You have had quite a year of running and it’s fun to look back at it isn’t it?! I know you will be back at it soon but now it’s time for some rest before the big changes come.

Great job this year!

You’ve had an incredible year, Kathryn! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for you guys!

8. Great year of running for you! I hope that if I ever get pregnant, I’ll be fitness-focused as well!
    My year of running was definitely not what I expected…I didn’t expect to do a runaway bride themed run in June on my wedding day!! 😉 Running MCM for charity and managing to finish the training while really having a tough summer at work was big for me in terms of proving what I’m capable of.

You had an amazing year, and I’m sure next year will be even more amazing! Listening to your body is really a great piece of advice.

10. I love this. What a year you have had! Definitely a lot of changes for you, but you have rolled beautifully with everything and now, you are going to be embarking on such a new and amazing journey! I can’t wait to hear what the new year is going to be bring!

11. You had an amazing year! I can believe how active you stayed throughout your pregnancy. So many people would have used it as an excuse to back out of all those races, but not you! That baby is going to be running before it can crawl!

12. mkadens1 says:

What a fulfilling running year! I didn’t realize the Cherry Blossom 10 was so poorly organized. What a shame. Very excited for you and all that lies ahead!

13. Great job! I’ve been debating entering the lottery for Cherry Blossom, but haven’t decided to actually do it. (And may have missed the deadline at this point.)

I had a good year. I did learn that I need to listen to my body and not always push through.

14. you had a fabulous year! I’d agree about Cherry Blossom, it’s really not one of my favorites though I know it’s a classic DC race.

15. Great post! I am so glad that you are ending this year on a positive note. As you may have guessed, this wasn’t the best year of running for me. There is always next year though, right?

I’d say you’ve had a pretty epic year! Shamrock is definitely one of my favorite race experiences as well!

17. you had an epic year! awesome post 🙂

18. Wow, congrats on running over 500 miles, especially most while pregnant! 🙂
    Love that pic from the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly, how beautiful.
    Great recap of your year of running! I plan on doing mine soon.

19. carmyy says:

I feel like your baby gets to claim some of those miles once born! Your baby has already had a head start with running!

20. Jessica says:

This is such a good idea! And over 500 miles?? You are AMAZING!

21. kristenk says:

Congrats on an amazing year! I can only hope that when I start a family I’ll be able to run through my pregnancy too. Great job on that killer PR at Shamrock!

22. natrunsfar says:

A huge congrats on an amazing year!! 3 halfs and 5 5Ks alone is super impressive!!
    Your 2016 is going to be so amazing with your new baby!!!

23. Year in running posts are a long time favorite. A combination of runnings and stats. 2 of my favorite things.

24. Congrats on a great year of running! Nice to see so much Philly love, I do take it for granted sometimes since I live here! It’s been great following your journey this year 🙂

25. SharitaFit says:

Wow! this is so inspiring! The next time i’m feeling lazy, I’ll think, Kathryn did this while pregnant so I can do it baby-free! hahaha way to go and congrats on the new addition to your family!

Can’t believe Baby T will be here soon! I remember getting your text this past spring 🙂 I’m so glad I got to see you after your AMAZING PR at Shamrock. I won’t be running it next year, but maybe in 2017 🙂

27. Over 300 miles pregnant? That is amazing!! Best running moment for me this year was finishing Chicago Marathon with my mom 🙂

28. You’ve had such a great year of running with so much to look forward to! My year has been great, I made a strong comeback to running and triathlon after such a terrible back injury last November. I am strong and ready to hit the ground running hard this year!

29. haleyduke17 says:

You’ve had a great year. Doing so much while pregnant is impressive and so therapeutic. Congrats on a stellar year!!!

30. Pingback: Top 5 Posts of 2015 | From Dancing to Running

31. Very inspiring that you were able to keep running! I can’t even imagine how hard that must be as your center of gravity changes (along with other challenges, I’m sure).

We’re still trying to decide on VA Beach. I keep going back and forth on it. I didn’t know about the PR bell . . . oooh, enticing!

32. I love this post! Definitely not a lot of people can say they accomplished what you did this year while “running for two.” You’re such an inspiration! 🙂

33. Pingback: 2015 Blogging Goals Reflection | From Dancing to Running

34. Karen @ Fit in France says:

Definitely a great year for you, being so active while you were pregnant and running after a car accident. Congrats !

35. Pingback: 2015 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running