Looking Ahead to 2016

Though I didn’t realize it would be a year of great change, 2015 has certainly proven to be just that.  Despite having set yearly goals for myself back in January, those goals were quickly reevaluated and modified after finding out in April that I was pregnant.

2016 will also be a year like no other, as I adjust to life as a new mother and work towards getting back to my pre-pregnancy fitness levels.  There’s of course no way to know how long it will take me to bounce back after delivery, which makes it difficult to plan ahead for what races I’ll try and run next year.

For the past 2.5 years I’ve used running races as a way to focus my fitness regimen and to stay motivated when it comes to working out.  My plan is to continue to use races in 2016 to help me to stay motivated, though I don’t plan to go after a certain number of races next year like I did in both 2014 and 2015.  I’ll be focusing on quality races over quantity.

One of the big questions on my mind lately is when I should attempt to run my first post-baby half marathon.  Is late spring too early?  Should I wait until Labor Day weekend?  Should I wait until next fall?  At this point, its hard to answer that question.  Although I ran until I was 32 weeks pregnant, its impossible to predict how long it will take me to get back at running, and more importantly, running long distances.

One thing is for certain: I’m eager to get back out there.  I miss the thrill of training for a goal race, and I miss being able to physically do so.  In some ways, I don’t feel like I’ve trained for a goal race since I crossed the finish line of Shamrock Half Marathon back in March, and I’m extremely eager to focus on training for my next goal race.

After crossing the finish line of Shamrock Half Marathon and completing the Dolphin Challenge

Will I have answers to my questions anytime soon?  Likely not.  But in the meantime, its fun to daydream about all of the possible races that I could choose from.  And I cannot wait to have my little guy cheering me on as his mommy toes the start line of her first post-pregnancy half marathon.

QOTD: What running goal(s) are you contemplating going after in 2016?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Looking Ahead to 2016

1. You may find that after the baby is here you may not be so eager to get out there and race because you will be having so much fun with your son! Things change and that’s okay too! 2016 is definitely going to bring some changing in racing for me as well. I just want to get through the wdw marathon and then see where we go from there!

2. Hmmm I honestly haven’t even really thought about a race calendar for next year! It’s so hard with the little one!

3. My goal is to cross the finish line at the NYC Marathon in 2016 as my last race to qualify via 9+1 is this Sunday. Everything else is up in the air!

4. I want to run more in 2016
    This year i didnt run much AS i wanted too .
    But im happy 🙂

5. My goal for 2016 is to pick one marathon and to train hard for it rather than running all the races for fun.

6. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful year in 2016 as you start the journey of motherhood! It must be tough to not be able to plan the way you like…I’m the same way. I’m sure it’ll all work out and you’ll have some awesome quality races!

7. mkadens1 says:

Gosh it’s so hard to plan when you have no idea how you’ll feel/your schedule, etc. I think I did a 10 miler when Thing 2 was 8 or 9 months old but that’s totally not something I planned to do until well after she was born. The last thing I wanted to do was add pressure to my life at that point.

8. I think you are smart not to plan just yet on the when’s for after pregnancy runs. I remember when my sisters had babies and although they still love running everything changes so much after the baby comes and new things become more important and time and schedules. They still fit in everything they love, but just in different ways.
    I think you are going to be an awesome mom, and just think of that bundle of cuteness on its way that will be cheering for you at the finish line in many races to come, and who knows might be inspired by you to become a runner or a different kind of athlete too:)

I think you have a great perspective and outlook on how next year will go. Everything gets “played by ear” when you have kiddos and that goes for most aspects of life. Don’t put the pressure on though, you will know when you are ready!

10. carmyy says:

I only have 2 races in mind right now and I’m trying not to obsess over them so early on!

11. It’s gonna be different after the baby for you, I’m sure. 🙂
    I only have an idea what races I’m doing for the first 3-4 months of 2016 thus far. I’ve got at least a half marathon each month and probably a 5k or 10k or two in there.

12. I think the fact that you did kept running while pregnant is totally amazing, and I firmly believe you should sign up for that half in the spring! Can’t wait to hear more about your 2016!

13. It’s smart not to plan too much at this point. Kids have a way of throwing life for a loop, so wait and get your feet under you and then decide what you want to do.

Right now I have only one thing on my calendar: another Mainly Marathon series. I’ll probably enter the lottery for Cherry Blossom (one of the few major local races that I have not run) and I want to do 17.75 again. Other than that, I don’t know.

14. No race goals for me so far…my only attempt this year was a failed 5k so I’ll have to figure it out. It’s motivating to read about yours though.

15. natrunsfar says:

I think you are being smart to play it by ear! It’s going to be so awesome to have your son watch you cross the finish line of your first post pregnancy half marathon!!

16. BabetaRuns says:

My running year is starting in January with Dopey Challenge and then I will see what happens next 🙂

17. Denise says:

I don’t have anything on the race calendar for 2016 yet. Once I heal fully from PF, I will start looking. Muscle memory will help you run again after baby is born. Plus it’s amazing how fast you can get back into shape – or even better shape – when you feel determined.

18. HoHo Runs says:

Hmm…I really can’t weigh in on this subject. I had some issues and wasn’t active at all while pregnant. I do think the fact you stayed active for long into your pregnancy will help you recover quickly. I do remember the fatigue of having a little one — but it was so worth every minute of lost sleep. Enjoy it! The running will return quickly enough.

You have a great outlook for the next year. 2015/2016 (and beyond) is going to be so memorable for you as you expand to a family of four (yes, counting the pup 🙂 ). I imagine plans may change after you have the baby, perhaps a goal 5K-10K for the spring (so training will not be too time consuming) and half in the fall?

20. Cynsspace says:

I loved being able to get back to running after my boys. It did take time, though, as I was careful to build mileage slowly. You’ll enjoy that time on the road again.
    2016 is my comeback year after my layoff. I’ve started working on speed and planning towards a spring marathon. Everything is lining up nicely.

21. oh yeah you can’t plan for the first year with a baby! He will change your life like you never imagined and enjoy every minute of it!!

22. With my first, it was 2 years later when I ran a half marathon, but I did stop running after I found out I was pregnant. With my second, I ran until I was 24weeks pregnant then ran a half marathon 9 months later but did shorter races beforehand. Your body will tell you when you’re ready (and schedule will dictate it as well). And it will be a wonderful experience when you can share your joy of running with your baby.

23. I’m excited to follow along as you get back to it post baby. Because you ran for so much of your pregnancy, I bet you will bounce back super quickly! 🙂