Facing Reality

On Mondays (or Tuesdays if I haven’t been able to write a Monday post) for as long as I can remember, I’ve shared my weekly training log on here.  My writing a weekly training log has been my main way to hold myself accountable for my training, so that I’ve been able to keep myself on track.

Last Monday and today have been exceptions to that norm.  As I’ve briefly shared in a couple of posts over the past two weeks, I’ve slowed down significantly in terms of my physical activity.  The exhaustion of the third trimester has definitely set in, and its becoming more and more difficult for me to physically keep up with what my mind wants me to be able to do, especially now that I’m 34.5 weeks pregnant.

The reality is that its too painful to run right now.  The reality is that my baby belly has grown to the point that I can’t exercise the way that I want to.  The reality is that I’m slowing down, and whether I like it or not, cannot exercise as consistently as I’d like to.

Its been a hard reality for me to face.  Mentally, I’m geared up and ready to try and maintain the same fitness levels that I was pre-pregnancy.  And this has been a very difficult obstacle to overcome.  They say running, and working out in general, is just as much mental and as it is physical.  And boy is that true.  But the reality is that my body just cannot keep up with what my mind and heart desire to be able to do.

The reality is that I’m struggling to find a balance right now.  The stress of work is taking its toll on me, and I’ve started to face complications with my pregnancy that haven’t been fun to deal with.  Among other issues, the week after Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly I found out that I’ve developed pelvic synthesis separation.  My OB assures me that there’s nothing I’ve done to cause this, and that there’s nothing I could have done to prevent it, but of course, now I get to face the reality of dealing with it.  Some days I’m in more pain than others, and unfortunately, there’s not much that can be done medically in order to help me manage the pain.  Thankfully, neither my health or the baby’s health is in jeopardy, but nonetheless, its still not fun to deal with the chronic pain.

The last time I ran was two weeks ago at Rock 'n' Roll Philly

The last time I ran was two weeks ago at Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly, which will also be the last time that I run for the foreseeable future

Does this mean that I’m giving up working out altogether?  Absolutely not.  But I’ve had to make several modifications.  My OB has suggested that I limit myself to only low impact exercise for the remainder of my pregnancy, and that if it feels like exercise is making the pain worse, then I need to stop.  The other big adjustment that I’ve had to make has been to the frequency and duration of my workouts.  There are many days now that I come home from work and I’m just too exhausted to head to the gym.  I’m trying to embrace these changes as best as I can, and am trying to accept that if going for a walk is all that my body can handle then so be it.

As I’m facing this reality, I’m trying to remind myself that I haven’t failed.  Despite how difficult its been to accept this reality, the fact is that my body just can’t keep up with my mind right now.  And that doesn’t make me a failure.  The reality is that circumstances have temporarily changed, and adjustments have needed to be made.

QOTD: What realities have you recently had to face?

This entry was posted in Pregnancy, Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Facing Reality

1. Erin M says:

So sorry ghee dealing with the pubis symphysis disorder now. It’s definitely not fun at all! Pregnancy gives you a whole different way of having to listen to your body and adjust, and motherhood is the same! I heard somewhere that after a baby enters your life there is no “back” to normal, but rather a new normal. I’ve found that to be true all four times, in a very good way! You’ve done an amazing job of keeping up with the fitness you love, and I’m sure it will be very helpful in getting to your new, maybe slightly different normal. 🙂

2. I did a lot of prenatal yoga during both pregnancies and I felt amazing afterwards. Towards the end it gets really hard to do anything…I resorted to a lot of walking. Take it easy on yourself and you’ll be back at it postpartum in no time.

3. Back when I was pregnant in the dark ages, runners would not have considered running while pregnant. But I was a walker then and everyday, I took a long walk with Tom when he came home from work. It helped me stay in good shape during my pregnancy and while it is not the same as running, can be just as much fun and a great way to decompress after a hard day of work.

4. I think yoga will be your best friend for the rest of your pregnancy. And I think the last 3 months of pregnancy are the toughest. Hang in there mama, the finish line is in sight!

5. I’m so sorry you’ve been having pain and discomfort, but don’t be too hard on yourself. You are growing another human and that takes a lot of energy and work on it’s own. You’ve been kicking butt and keeping that baby healthy – I think it’s beyond ok to just take it easy the last few weeks.

6. You’ll just be so happy when Baby Thayer arrives that it will all be worth it. I know everyone is probably telling you that, but it’s true!

A friend of mine said prenatal yoga helped her a lot when she reached her third trimester. You’ve done such a good job and you’ve got a great mindset about adjustments.

8. You have done an amazing job making it this far! I hope your complications aren’t too severe, and that you and the baby are ok. It’s really hard when something that’s part of your identity is taken away from you, even temporarily. Sending you positive vibes!

9. Rebecca Jo says:

I think its great that you know what your body is telling you to do & adjusting – exactly as you should be doing! Life never stays the same.

10. So sorry to hear about your pain, Kathryn. I know how it is to have issues that change your plans for how you want your pregnancy to be. You may be on a break from running now, but you’ll be able to come back a stronger runner than ever. You’ll have your little boy to motivate you 🙂

11. You’re not a failure, that sweet baby you are carrying is far more precious than any workout or run could ever be. You are looking at the bigger picture and that baby will be worth any sacrifices you make!
    Sometimes we have to let life take us for the ride, and put our wishes and desires on hold. I may not have ever been pregnant. But having to deal with a work injury for almost 3 years that has kept me from being able to do everything I love when I want to. It’s taught me one thing, no one is a failure sometimes we have to adjust for what life gives us, new goals, new things take place all the time and that is how life is and that is how we should accept it.

12. You have done a magnificent job of (safely) maintaining your fitness level through your pregnancy, but it does sound like your body is putting its foot down. I’m sorry. It’s a temporary thing, but still frustrating. Just listen to your body and take it easy! You are in the home stretch!

13. Sorry to hear but you are still doing great. The best thing now is to listen to your body for that precious bundle you are carrying. I agree with everyone I know it is frustrating but it is also temporary.

14. I have had to face the reality that without my trainers, I am not going to train as hard on my own as they push me. It’s just a fact and I realize that. Also when pregnant, I stopped working out and started back up when my son was 1. It was something I just had to do.

15. Take it easy on yourself sweetie! This too shall pass!! I’ve had to face the reality of starting a new job and the fact that Savannah marathon was a bust. No BQ happened that day. 😦 but I plan on coming back even faster in Nashville next year! Enjoy slowing down for a while. As I’m sure you’re familiar with; life flies by in a hurry!!

16. You are housing a little human inside you…don’t be so hard on yourself. I couldn’t run at all during either of my pregnancies. Have you tried swimming? It’s a great alternative! Sending big hugs and lots of love.

17. My reality is to refrain from running to heal and recover and I miss it. But I’ve been spending a lot of time in the gym cross-training. With my second, I continued to run but only until the end of the second trimester. I was too exhausted. Truly understand how you feel and before you know it, you’ll be out there running again!

18. oh my its normal to slow down in fact I am surprised you’ve been able to do all that you have. You want to be well rested and ready when the baby comes and that means slowing down. Don’t be so hard on yourself

19. Girl you have done an amazing job staying active during your pregnancy! Right now it sounds like your body needs the rest so it can continue to nourish and grow your baby. Growing a baby is hard work! Don’t be hard on yourself. What you are experiencing is totally normal! So proud of you!!!

20. You are 34.5 weeks pregnant, I believe running and working out are the least of your worries! You are already in great shape. Relax and enjoy the last few weeks. Take care friend!

21. jillconyers says:

Hello! You’re almost 35 weeks pregnant and about as far away from failing as you could possibly get. Take care. Hugs xoxo

22. I know how tough that is having just gone through it myself. Pregnancy (and motherhood!) is so, so different and it’s tough to accept the changes. Don’t beat yourself up about it because there’s more important things than working out!

23. I’m so sorry you’re going through that. It’s so hard when you’re mind and body aren’t quite in line with what they want. I feel for you girl. You’ll come out of your pregnancy and birth so strong though, after all of the hard work you have done thus far!!! You are amazing!!!
    I’m also 34.5 weeks along. When I read the first paragraph of this post I was thinking “I could have written this”. I’ve also slowed down significantly these past 2 weeks. My last run actually sent me into full blown contractions. So crazy.
    When is your due date? Mine is 12/25.

24. carmyy says:

It can be rough when your mind is telling you to go go go but your body is like NOPE. I’m sure you’ll be back in no time 🙂

I’m sorry about the chronic pain 😦 It definitely makes sense to listen to your body and increase the rest!

26. Sanibel says:

I had this exact same problem at the exact same time in my pregnancy. It was such a hard reality. All I could really do was walk, so walk I did. I couple of miles a day and it wore me down. But it felt better than nothing. I felt like I failed as well. I wish I had words of encouragement to give you. Listening to our bodies when we feel like we know them the least and have the least control, is tough stuff!

27. amindfullmom says:

Kathryn, Do not beat yourself up! The fact that you have maintained your level of physical activity to this point will help you bounce back to pre-baby in NO time and give you energy for labor. Now, you need to listen to your body for you sake and your baby’s. I have health issuses that at times limit my physical routine and I hate it, but when I pushed against it, I ended up severely regretting not resting. Take care. Can’t wait to see pics of the baby 🙂

28. I’m so sorry 😦 I totally understand though! I had to stop running around 19 or 20 weeks because of terrible pelvic pain. In the end I couldn’t even walk for exercise b/c it was so bad!

29. Becki S says:

You are still totally kicking butt and inspiring me. You haven’t failed at all and I hope that you read through all these comments and realize how wonderful we all think you’re doing!

30. Hi there Running pregnant.
    Wish you all the best for the last weeks.
    My last reality is my divorce ,on the first i will move out here.

31. I am so sorry you’ve been struggling with pain and discomfort!! Pregnancy is a full-time job in and of itself, so don’t be too hard on yourself. I had to take it easy during part of my own pregnancy because of some medical issues that came up, and it was tough but I’m so glad I did!! Can’t wait to meet your little one! 🙂

You have been such an inspiration, Kathryn! I’m sorry that you’re having to deal with these painful complications right now, but they will be gone soon! There IS a light at the end of the tunnel!! I know you’ll be up and at it again post-partum without any problems because you’ve kept your fitness level this high for so long!

What about a prenatal yoga? At least you can keep moving a little without the stress? I dealt with several issues “down there” that I would be more than happy to discuss over a glass of wine, but not here, lol. Chronic pain for 20 weeks was NOT fun, but thankfully these issues usually go away when that little bundle of joy comes out!!

34. Pingback: Friday Five – Gratitude: Pregnancy Edition | From Dancing to Running

35. Pingback: 2015 Year in Review | From Dancing to Running