Friday Five – Potpourri v. 8

This week’s Friday Five theme with the DC Trifecta is “Ways to Stay Healthy During the Holidays.”  I have an upcoming post planned for next week on this very topic, with a giveaway as a part of the post, so be sure to stay tuned for my tips for staying healthy during the busy holiday season.  In the meantime, you can check out a post that I wrote a year ago for tips for staying on track during the holidays.

Today, I thought I’d share some of what I’ve been up to lately and what’s been on my mind.

1.  I’m currently participating in the Grow Your Blog Hop, hosted by Kristy at Runaway Bridal Planner.  I participated in her first blog hop back in February, and found it to be a great networking experience.  Though some of the other bloggers in the blog hop are bloggers that I’ve previously connected with, there are many new bloggers that I’ve enjoyed virtually meeting and connecting with for the first time.

Grow Your Blog Hop 1

2.  Since running/walking Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly two weeks ago, I’ve slowed down quite a bit.  I haven’t run once since the half marathon, and am thinking I probably won’t be running again until after our little guy is born.  I’ve only gotten to the gym twice, and gotten outside one additional time for a 30 minute walk with Preston and Riley.  Now that I’m 34 weeks pregnant, third trimester exhaustion has set in, and listening to my body’s screams for extra rest is more important than pushing my body too much right now.

3.  While I love Christmas, the amount of Christmas stuff that is already out is a bit excessive.  Not only have I heard nothing but Christmas music played in a number of stores that I’ve been in since the day after Halloween, but I came across two radio stations yesterday afternoon that are already playing nonstop Christmas music.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but can we please get through Thanksgiving first?!?

4.  While I’m not ready for nonstop Christmas music yet, I’ll admit that I have started my Christmas shopping.  With our little guy’s due date being Christmas Eve, I’m trying to get a head start on my shopping and get things taken care of before I start to feel too tired and run down.

5.  We’re slowly but surely making progress towards getting ready for our little guy’s arrival.  Each week I try to spend some time working on organizing and putting things away in the nursery, and last weekend I started packing the diaper bag and writing my hospital bag packing list.  I’m hoping to finish enough laundry this weekend to pack most of my hospital bag so that if I were to go into labor early we’d be prepared and ready to go.

QOTD: What are your thoughts on Christmas decorations being out and Christmas music being played this early in November?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Friday Five – Potpourri v. 8

1. I absolutely hate seeing Christmas decorations being out so soon. While I try to shop year round for Christmas, I don’t want to see Christmas decor or hear Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. I know you are getting excited about your upcoming arrival with just 6 weeks to go. Enjoy the last few weeks getting extra sleep and rest!

2. I’m with you on the Christmas music and decorations out early! My holidays feel a bit askew since we’ll be in Hawaii for thanksgiving…normally I cook for thanksgiving and really enjoy that. But since I haven’t had to plan for that meal, I haven’t really thought about the holidays much. I think I’ll do a turkey meal when we get home but then it will only be 3 weeks until Christmas! I have a feeling te holiday chaos will set in then 🙂 Enjoy your last few weeks as a family of 2 (plus Riley!).

3. UGH!!! big no to the Christmas music and decorations. It makes my skin crawl. I am so glad my family is not big in to gift giving. It makes the holidays so much more enjoyable for me. It;s just about food 😉

4. I’m with you. Let’s please get through Thanksgiving first! Now the day after Thanksgiving…bring on ALL the Christmas! How exciting that you are so close to meeting your bundle of joy!!!

I’m with you on the Christmas decor, let’s at least get through Thanksgiving first! I heard a radio station playing Christmas music before Halloween and that was really excessive. I didn’t realize the baby was due to be a Christmas baby, how exciting!

I want my Thanksgiving first, but I got sucked into a Christmas movie already. The Hallmark Channel is showing their Christmas movies and I was watching one last Friday. There wasn’t anything else on and I was too lazy to put in a movie.

7. Rebecca Jo says:

I’m loving the blog hop & finding new blog friends too.
    I NEED to start Christmas shopping but I’m always the one out on Christmas Eve.

8. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so I wish it would get a little more love too before the December holidays take over!

9. I was actually just talking to someone this morning about how we’re surprised it doesn’t feel too Christmassy yet in NYC. I think because it’s still so warm out, we aren’t getting the usual winter-and-Christmas-are-coming vibes. Besides a few holiday window displays, the holiday cheer hasn’t hit us too hard yet.
    Good luck with all your pre-baby prep! Have you thought about making a bunch of meals ahead of time and freezing them? The Lean Green Bean has a great post on that: http://www.theleangreenbean.com/freezer-meals-snacks/

10. I am enjoying the blog hop too! I am all for Thanksgiving and waiting to celebrate Christmas. It’s all become a little too commercialized for me.

11. cardigansarah says:

I’m attempting to avoid the parts of the stores where the Christmas stuff is! But the mall is ALREADY playing Christmas music all the time!

It’s a bit exhausting.

12. I love Christmas! But sometimes it is true the hype of it can be quite excessive. Yet, I don’t really like Thanksgiving so I guess it doesn’t bother me too much! If only there weren’t back to back holidays I’d be all down to playing music an extra month! Like September and August have nothing going on! If only it was like no holiday then holiday kind of thing so that there could be two months of Halloween and two of Christmas I think I’d be content with that 😛

13. The grow your blog hop sounds like a great idea! I’m hoping I can join up in the next round.

14. We used to decorate the day after Thanksgiving, but as you will see with a little one, it truly is “whenever you can fit it in”. Since my parents are coming for thanksgiving adn I want them to see the house decorated for Christmas, we are decorating this weekend since we will be out of town probably for next weekend. We have some stations playing Christmas music, but I have yet to bust out my own CD collection 🙂

15. I totally agree, it is way to early for constant Christmas music. I would at least like to enjoy Thanksgiving before putting on the Christmas playlist. What a great due date, Christmas Eve!! So exciting.

16. Ariana says:

I think it’s AWESOME you kept up with your training to this point. Props to you! You and your body deserve a bit of a break 🙂

I’m not a huge fan of Christmas music & decorations this early, but it comes SO fast anyway so I suppose it doesn’t make a huge difference..

17. It seems that each year the christmas music starts playing earlier and earlier. I heard our local station is going to start it on Nov 16. I like christmas music but I think it needs to wait till after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving deserves its own holiday but I think retailers want to combine the two! (ok, rant over..lol)

I am so with you on the Xmas music!! Before Thanksgiving is way too early!

19. carmyy says:

I already have xmas jingles in my head!

20. We had a “false alarm” at 36 weeks and I didn’t have my hospital bag ready at all! You sound like you are really on top of things and definitely slow down and rest now.

21. I’m not hearing the Christmas music yet! Thank goodness! I’m so not ready…

22. I completely agree with you. Christmas lights went up in our town the week after Halloween. It seems that it’s getting earlier and earlier each year. Can we eat the turkey first? I personally like to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. I haven’t started on my shopping yet. I have no idea what to get everybody.

23. kristenk says:

It’s so exciting that you’re due on Christmas Eve! My husband was born on December 23rd. I think I’d love a Christmas baby! I love Christmas so much, but I’m definitely going to wait until Black Friday to put up my tree.

24. I am so ready for Christmas but I agree, I would love to enjoy Thanksgiving without the big brands breathing down my neck to buy buy buy! Plus I really like winter holidays to be in ummm winter. Fall is my fave so I would like to draw it out as long as possible! I am so happy to learn a little bit more about you!

25. jillconyers says:

Don’t delete me! I’m secretly listening to Christmas music in my car. I’d listen to it at home but my family would flip out. haha I started Nov 1. Decorations? Love them but I admit the retail holiday season was too early. Even for me.

26. When I was little my dad picked up some extra cash in the fall by helping a company set up those Christmas decorations in malls overnight. To be honest they set them up so early for two reasons: 1) to get people to spend $$ and 2) because of the logistics involved in retrieving their stored decorations and getting them set up. You wouldn’t believe how many things can go wrong so starting early allows them time to overcome any obstacles. I know that people are very critical of the malls/stores etc, but there’s a lot involved. PS – it’s good that you’re listening to your body, my first was born. She was ok, but her first few months were pretty stressful.

27. I do agree that the holiday stuff all comes to early! You must be so excited as you will definitely be getting the best Christmas gift ever. Definitely rest as needed and hope you are well!

28. I am loving this blog hop too!! And I completely agree with you about the Christmas decorations! I’m still stunned that it’s actually November! This year has FLOWN by!

29. John @ run. geek. run(disney) says:

I so agree with you on Christmas. I’m a HUGE fan of Christmas. All aspects and sides of it.I listen to a lot of Christmas music and will watch a lot of Christmas movies (we tend to keep a tally sometimes, just for fun in our house). But, we have a “no christmas until after thanksgiving” rule in our house. Once Thanksgiving dinner is over, it can be fair game to start decorating, turning on the music and putting in a special DVD, but not until then. That’s not how we roll. Other than shopping, thats fine to get as far ahead as you want.

30. Karen @ Fit in France says:

I was in the US last week and couldn’t believe all the Christmas stuff out. Right next to half price Halloween candy !

31. araekeech says:

34 Weeks! That is so exciting! Your little guy is almost here 😀 That is high alert time in our house, since both my babies came at 35 weeks, good luck, it sounds like you are ready. I have to agree with you that I wish we could get through each holiday before jumping to the next, it goes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, NOT Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, which is what it looks like at the stores this time of year 😉

32. woohoo for a potential christmas baby! i’m so excited for y’all. and i have to say, i don’t mind christmas music anytime of the year 🙂

Ummm…yes! Why is there Christmas songs on the radio before T-Day?! I was shocked to hear it this past weekend on 107.3!