November 2015 Monthly Goals

For the most part, October went much more smoothly than September did in terms of my training.  Although I would have liked to work out more than I did, now that I’m in the third trimester I’m definitely slowing down, and listening to my body is becoming more important than ever before.  But just because I’m slowing down doesn’t mean that I’ve stopped working out, or have any plans to, and I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to continue working out right up until delivery, so long as I continue to make the necessary modifications.

You may recall that after an unsuccessful attempt at reaching my goals in September that I decided to revisit my September goals in October.  I’m so happy to report that I was much more successful with those goals during my second attempt at reaching them.

oct 2015 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 60 miles.

Grade: A

I squeaked right past this goal, logging a total of 60.3 miles.  If I hadn’t been training for and run a half marathon, I’m not sure that I would have met this goal.  Nonetheless, I did it, and I wish I could shout this accomplishment from the mountaintops!

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Grade: A

This has been the monthly goal that I’ve been most successful in accomplishing for the past several months.  Although there are some times that I feel guilty about coming home from work and spending most of the evening on the couch, I know that its critical that I listen to the messages that my body gives me about taking the extra time to rest and relax.

3.  Weight train at least once a week.

Grade: B

With the exception of last week when I limited my training in favor of extra rest leading up to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly, I hit the weights at the gym once a week last month.  Although I’ve been using lighter weights than I did even just a couple of months ago, I know that the weight training will help me with maintaining a healthy pregnant body, and will hopefully help me expedite my postpartum recovery.

After a successful October, I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to have another productive two months of pregnancy, as well as working out.  Now that I’m no longer in training for a major race, my focus is shifting slightly when it comes to my workouts.  That by no means minimizes the importance of staying active in the weeks to come, but I’ll be putting much less focus on the amount of time that I’m working out and instead focusing on quality workouts.

nov 2015 goals

1.  Log at least 30 miles.

I know this seems minuscule compared to my usual monthly mileage goals, but I’m drastically reducing this goal for a number of reasons.  I’m no longer in training for a specific race, but more importantly, my pace has slowed down significantly, whether its running, walking, or on the elliptical.  I’m not in a position to increase the amount of time that I’m working out, so I’d rather focus on quality miles as opposed to just spending more time working out for the sake of attempting to reach an unrealistic mileage goal.

2.  Work out at least three times per week.

I’m not going to focus on what types of workouts, but rather I want to spend this month just focusing on moving, whether that’s a walk outside with Riley, a short run (though I’m fairly certain that my ability to continue running will cease to exist in another week or so), or time at the gym on the elliptical and/or lifting weights.  Just moving at this point in my pregnancy is better than sitting on the couch every day.

3.  Continue to listen to my body.

As I get closer to my due date, this goal is becoming more and more important.  I don’t want to ever feel like I can’t take an unplanned rest day, especially on days when my body is screaming for the rest.

QOTD: What are your goals for November?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to November 2015 Monthly Goals

1. Good luck reaching your goals and bringing a healthy little boy into this world who’s going to have a “running” start!

My goal for November is to PR at my last qualifying race for the 9+1 program for NYCM next year (and to qualify of course!) It’s a 4-miler and I want to run it in 35 minutes.

2. Good luck with your November goals! I’m focusing on getting stronger so my hamstring doesn’t bother me. I *might* start training for a winter half – but that’s all going to be weather dependent as last year the route was all ice!

Awesome job, Kathryn!! You’re definitely an inspiration to keep moving and not give up! 🙂 Thank you!!

4. You have some great goals! Keep it up!

Great job in October. All of this should help your post-partum recovery. My main goal is to run outside more to get my muscles adjusted to not-so-smooth surfaces. I will need to get more outside gear when winter arrives.

6. Amy says:

Great job, Kathryn! It is very inspiring to see someone else’s goals written out. I’m partnering with a friend over the next couple months when working out always seems to take a back burner. We’ll have to write out our goals too!

7. Quality over quantity is always better you are doing so well. You are going to be one strong mama once that baby comes! Have a great rest of your week

8. Your goals are perfect! That baby is going to come into this world nice and healthy, and I think you will recover faster from the pregnancy because you’ve been staying so active throughout. Keep it up!

9. powellamym says:

Great article! My friend and I were just discussing goals yesterday. Our plan is to hold each other accountable. Now, I think we should write it all down. Thank you for the inspiration!

10. Elle says:

I am so impressed by all that you are doing and your goals! I think you are amazing. My November goal is to keep having fun with my workouts!

11. Great job on hitting your October goals and again, congrats on your half! November sounds like a smart way to go – great goals and not too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy!

12. I love how you are listening to your body and revising your goals as you go along! You are a very smart athlete!

13. You are doing wonderful with your goals! You are very smart to keep listening to your body. Way to go on hitting your goal the 2nd time around! My November goals are to continue running a few days a week and more strength training, especially post marathon. I don’t want to take too much time off like I did after my first marathon.

14. Keep up the great work!

I’m trying to get back in the habit of cross training this month. I’ve earned about a C so far this month…

15. Your goals look great! I commend you for sticking with your workouts through pregnancy. I wasn’t as committed. I think it is so smart to listen to your body! 30 miles is still miles! I think my November goals are going to be 2 run days and 2 weight days a week. Get back to my morning reading schedule. I also want to write 3 blogs a week. So far those are realistic for me at this time.

16. I don’t really set monthly goals but am always impressed by bloggers who do and keep to their plan. You seem to be very consistent in this regard. My one goal for November is lots of rest post marathon and then ease back into my mileage since I am running another marathon in January.

17. Listening to your body is so important. Now that you have no upcoming race you don’t have to feel any pressure with reaching goals.

18. natrunsfar says:

You are such an inspiration to runners and also to pregnant women!!
    Way to go for having such a fit pregnancy, and listening to your body. You are going to be such a great Mom to this sweet little boy!!!

19. Becki S says:

November for me is all about going with the flow. We are traveling a lot (Disney World tomorrow!) and the holidays and the in-laws and I already am starting to feel anxious and desperate just thinking about it all. Keep calm, read books, and drink a lot of wine.

20. Ariana says:

Fantastic goals! So important to listen to our bodies at any stage of our lives, but especially so when we have a little human inside! I think you totally set yourself up for success this month.

My November goals include a 20-30 minute walk first thing in the AM 6 days per week, 4 days of weight training per week, and a 22km run – I’m finished all my half marathons for the year, but I’m still feeling strong so I want to get at least one more long run in, and I figure I might as well make it my longest run ever!

21. I think your goals are awesome! I am just amazed at how much you have accomplished with your pregnancy. You clearly know how to listen to your body, or I doubt you would have been able to do all the past few races. You are an amazing girl!
    Pretty soon you’ll be holding the little one in your arms and life will be different forever, but in one of the best ways. I think your soon to be baby is going to grow up being very inspired and motivated by you and your goal oriented healthy lifestyle!

Good luck with your November goals. It makes perfect sense for you to concentrate on quality over quantity of the work out. I know you will be listening to you body and do what is best for you and Baby T. So exciting that it is almost December 🙂

23. Pingback: Lessons I’ve Learned from Training While Pregnant | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: December 2015 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running