My Goal for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

If you read yesterday’s 15 in 2015 update, then you know that on Saturday I’ll be heading to the start line of my last race of the year – Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia.  Those of you who are regular readers know that my training over the past 7.5 weeks has been a bit of a roller coaster – some weeks very successful and productive and other weeks have been a bit of a struggle.  I’m of course happy to still be moving at just shy of 32 weeks pregnant, and know that doing so is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Because my training has been all over the place, and its hard to predict from one day to the next how much round ligament I’ll have, I have only one goal for Saturday’s race: to cross the finish line.

logo_phi

My current plan is to run 3 miles of the race and walk the rest.  I’m debating breaking up the miles that I run, so that I don’t exhaust myself in the first three miles of the race.  For the miles that I do run, I’ll be utilizing very short run-walk intervals – 1:15 min run/0:45 walk.  But if for whatever reason I don’t feel great running on Saturday, I have no problem changing my approach and walking more of the race than I currently plan to.

I’m not putting the pressure of a time goal on myself for this race, partly because I have no idea how many porta potty stops I’ll have to make, but more importantly, because I want to go into this race as stress free as possible.  Simply crossing the finish line of a half marathon at 32 weeks pregnant will be an incredible accomplishment.

I’m doing the best I can to rest up this week, in anticipation of toeing the start line in Philly in just three short days.

QOTD: Have you ever run a race where your one and only goal was to cross the finish line?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to My Goal for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

1. You are being smart to have absolutely no goal other than to finish. Being active during pregnancy is really important and the fact that you are still running a half marathon even though most will be walking is great. Have fun on Saturday and enjoy the spectators, music (hopefully there will be lots of bands along the course) and pretty fall leaves. I have only once had a goal just to finish and that was Boston this year. After the food poisoning episode, that was all I could wish for!

2. Your training has been really inspiring! Have fun this weekend I can’t wait to read all about it. Yes I have run races with no goals at all!

3. You are doing the best thing by listening to your body! And that can be so hard! Proud of you girl and how you have trained! You are ready for this race! Enjoy it!!!

4. briwifruit says:

I agree with Mindy, just listen to your body and try not to push it. I’m sure you’ll do amazing!

5. kudos to you! I’m sure you’ll do great and listen to your body.

Have fun in Philadelphia this weekend! Flexibility and adjusting as you go along definitely seem like good ideas.

7. My hats off to you girly for all the hard work you have put into this training and with a baby! Most people use that itself as an excuse to sit around and do nothing, not you. You will do great in your race, sounds like you already have a great plan to really listen to your body and just finish. Hey isn’t that ultimately what we all want is to just finish! I would love to have you link up your weekend with us in our Weekly Wrap it’s open on Sunday night at 6PM CST. Have a great week leading up to your race. I too will have a goal of only finishing in my half on Saturday as well.

8. Elle says:

I hope you have a great time! Sounds like you have a very flexible and do-able plan heading in! Good luck to you.

I hope you do have fun this weekend. I had to walk the entire WDW half in ’14 because of injury. All I wanted to do was get to the finish line.

10. I hope you have a great race! It will definitely be a great accomplishment for you and the little one. I know when I did Tough Mudder my main goal was to finish it in one piece!

11. You are awesome for getting out there and completing this half at any speed! Best of luck to you!

12. I think you’re absolutely going about this the right way. I think it’s amazing you are still going to complete this thing 32 weeks pregnant!

That sounds like the perfect plan! I will be thinking of you as you toe up for your final race before Baby T! Such a beautiful course to run/walk as well 🙂 Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

14. carmyy says:

yup! my half marathon last week, my goal was to just finish!

15. Lea says:

so exciting! you’ll do great! good luck!

Good luck and have fun! Sounds like you’ve got a good plan in line!!

17. bisto84 says:

Good luck! I hope you have a lot of fun. When I was 20 weeks I walked a half marathon because my doctor wanted me to keep it low impact — walking a half is no joke! My feet hurt, I was surprised! But I did feel accomplished and worked hard for that medal!

Have so much fun! I know you’re going to do great!! My “just finish” goal pertained to a half marathon I ran while injured. 🙂

19. You’re so right, it will be a huge accomplishment no matter the time! You are such an inspiration – good luck!!

20. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 6 | From Dancing to Running

21. Pingback: Friday Five – Potpourri v. 7 | From Dancing to Running

22. Good luck and have fun! Sounds like you know what to do and have been good about listening to your body…which definitely makes me think a bit. Having read your posts about training throughout your pregnancy, you’ve been very clear about listening to your body and we all should probably be better about that all the time! 😉 I know that I oftentimes push myself too much or ignore a nagging pain…but if there was a baby onboard, I am fairly confident that I wouldn’t do dumb things like that!

23. Elizabeth C. says:

Definitely finishing in and of itself will be an achievement! I hope you enjoy it– that race is one of my favorites!