15 in 2015 Update #2

You may recall that my big fitness goal for the year is to complete 15 races.  So far this year I’ve crossed the finish line of 13 races:

St. Patrick’s Day Double (5k followed by 10k)
Shamrock 8k
Shamrock Half Marathon
Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
Jaguar 5k
Manassas Runway 10k
Fit Foodie 5k
Firecracker 5k
Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Mile on the Beach
Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
Dulles Day 5k
Clarendon Day 10k

I’m currently registered for one more race this year, this weekend’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon.  And after I complete this weekend’s half marathon, I won’t be completing any other races this year.

That means I’ll complete a total of 14 races, just one race shy of reaching my goal of 15.

I don’t look at this as failing to reach my goal.  Given how difficult it has been to keep up with the physical demands of training for a half marathon while pregnant, especially now that I’m in the third trimester, I’ve decided that continuing to put myself through the stress of training after this weekend just isn’t worth it.

Smiling through the pain after having to cut Friday evening's run short due to the severe round ligament that I experienced

Smiling through the pain after having to cut Friday evening’s run short due to the severe round ligament that I experienced

And yes, I could sign up for a local 5k and walk it just to say that I reached my goal.  But I don’t want to just choose a race for the sake of meeting this goal.  I want to actually want to complete the race.  And at this point, I’m loosing motivation to race.  To be honest, I’m looking forward to getting Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly done and over with this weekend, partly so that I can eliminate the stress of being “in training.”

Overall, I don’t consider this decision to be giving up.  Instead, I’m trying to think of it as making a smart decision, the one that is best for baby and myself, especially at 31.5 weeks pregnant.  I’ve accomplished quite a bit this year: I had a major half marathon PR at Shamrock back in March, and I’ve run one half marathon while pregnant (and will complete my second this weekend).  Logging the number of miles that I have and completing the number of races that I have while pregnant is worth much greater celebration than meeting a goal that I set prior to getting pregnant.  Circumstances have changed, and its been important that I reevaluate my fitness goals as I’ve progressed through my pregnancy.

After crossing the finish line of Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach back in September at 24 weeks pregnant

After crossing the finish line of Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach back in September at 24 weeks pregnant

I look forward to returning to racing in 2016, especially since I plan to use races as motivation to get back to my pre-baby fitness level.

QOTD: How are you progressing in meeting your yearly goal(s)?  What adjustments have you had to make?

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to 15 in 2015 Update #2

1. Sounds like a good plan. I’ve set many goals that I’ve altered, with most of them being around time goals or race expectations. I only did a XX number of races per year goal once. I decided volume of races wasn’t something that really worked for me and I would rather work towards time goals and quality racing. Good for you for knowing what’s best for your body!

2. I think 14 races is pretty admirable, even if you weren’t pregnant! I think goals are always fluid. I didn’t meet my sub-4 marathon goal, as hard as I tried…and it will be a struggle for me to meet my 2015km (1251) miles goal for the year. It will be close, but I’m not going to hurt myself to meet either goal!

3. 14/15 is amazing, especially while pregnant! Last year I wanted to do 14/14 but didn’t think I would be able to run that many races. I ended up running 12 without planning to do so. This year’s running was completely different due to being injured. I didn’t reach any of my goals and that’s okay…I learned a lot this year and had fun volunteering at races.

4. 14 is awesome, and when you think about how much more is on your plate, it’s really just incredible 🙂

5. Readjusting goals is a part of life! I think it’s amazing that you will have run 14 races this year!!!

This is definitely not giving up! It makes sense to re-evaluate your goal when circumstances have changed so much from when you set the goal. And it’s great that you’re not holding on to it and trying to add a 5k just for the sake of it when you don’t really want to do it. I feel like that’s the type of thing that makes people lose a love for something in the end. I had the same goal and I haven’t even looked at it since June. I better take a look and see if I need to do some last minute adding!

I don’t set concrete goals so I can change them if circumstances change too. 14 is a great achievement.

8. Running 14 races in a year is an awesome accomplishment, congratulations! I hope you have a great time at the RnR Philly on Saturday.

9. Congrats on 13 races and attempting 14! That’s huge! And you definitely have some great races that you’ve done! Dulles Day and Shamrock were fantastic days for races. Good luck in this weekend and with the rest of your pregnancy! Get those 16 races next year 😉

10. it’s not a failure at all. it’s amazing. i hope this weekend is fun and i know that all your running while pregnant will make it easier for you after the baby comes 🙂

11. Wow you make pregnancy look good! Regardless of whether you get in #15, you’re awesome.

12. You are a rock star. I am impressed with all of your feats.

13. 14 is incredible! Plus, you have all those virtual races, so REALLY you surpassed your goal! 🙂 🙂

14. That’s so awesome! Congrats on your accomplishments wonderful!

15. You are awesome! You have done such an incredible job and to be still running at this point in pregnancy is fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself!

16. This was the first year in a while where I didn’t have a specific number of races as a goal. It’s kind of liberating to be done with race season. I’m sure I’ll end up running a race or two yet, but only if the spirit moves me. There will be no more training. So, yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. Enjoy slowing down a bit for the remainder of the pregnancy.

17. mkadens1 says:

You’ve had an amazing year! You have the best reason in the world to modify that goal.

18. jillconyers says:

You’re awesome Kathryn! And so close to 15. I’ve run 12 half marathons in 2012, 13 half marathons in 2013, and 14 variety distances in 2014. I should have stuck with it and run 15 in 2015 🙂

19. Pingback: My Goal for Saturday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon | From Dancing to Running

20. Ariana says:

Sounds like you had a super successful year to me! I think listening to your body and your heart is a totally valid reason for forgoing that 15th race. There will always be races, but there won’t always be time to prep for a baby’s arrival!

I just finished my last goal race of the year this past weekend and am trying REALLY hard to stick to my commitment to myself to not do any more races this year. We’ll see how successful I am in that 😉

21. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8 | From Dancing to Running

14 races in a year is nothing to balk at…and look at it this way…you’ll save money on registration fees and you can buy a new outfit for the baby instead 😉

23. Pingback: 2016 Race Calendar | From Dancing to Running