Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

My theme for this training cycle seems to be that things just don’t go as you plan or expect them to.  I suppose that’s to be expected when you’re pregnant, but nonetheless, this week ended in a way that I could have far from expected.

Although my training week started off strong, I had a horrible migraine come on around 5:00 p.m. Saturday evening.  Since we are out of town this weekend for my father-in-law’s 60th birthday, I tried not to think about the pain when it came on.  Although we were out when the initial pain came on, I took my contacts out and a dose of my prescription migraine medicine once we were back at my father-in-law’s house.  Its hard to say whether the initial dose of medicine originally worked, but around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning I woke up in excruciating pain, as well as nauseous.  I took another dose of medicine, but it never seemed to kick in, and after talking with my OB at my routine appointment on Friday about the need to call should I get a migraine, I called the on call number.  At 3:40 a.m., she strongly suggested I head to the local ER, given my history of migraines.  After a dose of anti-nausea medicine, as well as a dose of steroids, I finally felt some relief.  And since I had planned to complete my weekend run Sunday morning, that plan was out the window by the time we arrived back at the house around 7:30 in the morning.  Though exhausted, I was thankfully able to still enjoy my father-in-law’s 60th birthday celebration yesterday, which included bowling and a family dinner celebration.

60th birthday

Bowling at 29 weeks pregnant was certainly an interesting experience!

Hopefully after a good night’s sleep, I’ll be able to get back on track with working out.  I don’t want to say that I’m giving up on preparing for Rock ‘n’ Roll Philly altogether, but at the same time, I’m also thankful that there is a very generous 4 hour time limit for this race.  I’m thankful that I don’t have any expectations for this race other than crossing the finish line, since this training cycle has gone nothing like planned.

Hopefully this coming week will go more smoothly than the last couple of days have, and I’ll be able to mimic the training I completed earlier last week.

After Monday's walk with Riley

After Monday’s walk with Riley

Mon 10/5 – 1.93 mile walk with Riley

Tues 10/6 – 3.28 mile run, 0.40 mile cool down walk

Wed 10/7 – Rest day

Thurs 10/8 – 35 minutes on the elliptical, 0.48 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms, chest, back, legs

Fri 10/9 – Rest day

Sat 10/10 – Rest day

Sun 10/11 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 9.07 miles (0.96 miles more than week 4)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 47.02 miles

QOTD: How do you mentally adjust when a training cycle isn’t going as planned?

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

So sorry about the migraine and your ER visit, but I’m glad they were able to help you feel better!! You’ll get there – you’ve kept your training up through this entire pregnancy! I have faith in you!! 🙂 Have a great week!

2. I hope you start to feel better soon! No matter what crossing the finish will be an accomplishment.

3. Fitnessmomwinecountry says:

Kathryn, I am so glad you were finally able to get that migraine some type of relief. As a fellow sufferer of them also, I totally feel for you. I am always so impressed when you pregnant gals are out running like you do. Good luck with your continued training. I have the Nike half this coming weekend.:)

The migraine sounds horrible 😦 I’m glad they were able to give you something that finally helped with it and you were able to enjoy the birthday celebrations. You’re doing a great job!

5. happy birthday to your father in law! i’m glad you were still able to enjoy that time. migraines are just awful!

6. oh that’s awful and I am sure more awful when you are pregnant. Glad you were able to get some relief. Hope you have a better week!

7. How awful about the migraine! I had one yesterday after my marathon, and I didn’t want to take any ibuprofen, since I had been dehydrated earlier in the day. I finally gave in when I woke up in the middle of the night…

8. Oh girl I’m so sorry about your migraine experience! Glad you are feeling better!

I don’t know how you handle migranes. When I have bad headaches, I know it’s not even close to a migrane. It’s never easy when a training cycle doesn’t go as planned, but the race is almost here. Hopefully this week is better.

10. Migraines are terrible, I have had a few years ago, and they are seriously debilitating, I couldn’t even walk or really function, I imagine when your pregnant it just makes it even worse.
    Even when training doesn’t go as planned, in one aspect you are very lucky being able to run through your pregnancy.
    My sister just told me last night she is pregnant and due in June. She is active as well, but hoping to get through at least the next few months without too many changes. She has a history of having to go on bed rest towards the middle of hers, I hope for her sake that this one doesn’t go that way and she can stay active.

11. Ugh! So sorry about your migraine. I get them too, so I know that some time the meds just don’t work. I usually end up riding it out, but it was smart for you to go to the ER and get some relief.

12. Ugh, so sorry to hear this! Not having training plans go according to plan is pretty much the story of my life, haha. But you’re still able to run through pregnancy, and that alone is pretty awesome (and definitely inspirational!) Hope you’re feeling better!

13. Maureen says:

Migraines are absolutely horrible. I suffer from them time to time and I hate how they can take over my life. I know you’re stressed about your training, but remember that crossing the finish line is a big accomplishment in itself. 🙂

14. sorry about your migraine. Don’t worry about your training/the race. What will be will be!

15. I haven’t had a migraine in a while, but I had a sinus headache last week that lasted for two days and made me completely useless, so I totally sympathize.

I’m struggling with the blow up of my MCM training plan right now. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around just how much walking may be involved in the race…

16. mkadens1 says:

Yikes sorry about the migraine. That sounds brutal. Glad you felt well enough to enjoy your FIL’s birthday party!

17. Cristina says:

Sorry to hear about your migrane and not feeling well. Please take care of yourself and a race is just a race, you will do the best you can when the time comes! Good luck

18. Ugh, I’m sorry. Migraines are brutal, and I’m sure even worse when pregnant! I’m glad you were able to get some relief.

I think you are going into Philly with the right attitude: do your best, and whatever will be will be. Hang in there!

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your trip to the ER. I used to get migraines a lot, so I feel your pain. It is no fun!! I hope you are feeling better!

20. So sorry you were feeling crummy.

21. natrunsfar says:

I’ve never had a migraine, but I hear they are brutal. I am so sorry you had to go through that and spend time in the ER. I hope you are feeling better!!

22. Oh man sounds like you had a rough weekend. I know I HATE going to the ED and waiting and sitting but sometimes that is your only option. I hope you have a better training week this week and not sure how I missed you were expecting. Congratulations!

23. jillconyers says:

I mentally adjust day by day with the thinking that tomorrow will be better. It’s not much but it’s the best I’ve found to get me through the unexpected. Sorry about the migraine. Ugh!

Have a fantastic day Kathryn!

24. So sorry about your migraine. I got them throughout my first pregnancy and it sucked, especially since none of the prescribed medications that were safe worked.

25. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 6 | From Dancing to Running