Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

This past week was quite the week!  I was slow to get going after a super busy weekend last weekend with friends and family who were in town for our baby shower, but I’m proud to report that I worked out four times this past week.  And that was in the midst of another super busy week too.

Mon 9/21 – Rest day

Tues 9/22 – 3.12 mile run, 0.41 mile cool down walk

Wed 9/23 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 0.31 mile cool down walk, kettelbell squat swings, arms, back, shoulders, glutes

Thurs 9/24 – 1.74 mile walk with Riley

Fri 9/25 – Rest day

Sat 9/26 – Clarendon Day 10k

Sun 9/27 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 14.48 miles (2.91 miles more than week 2)

Total RnRPhilly Mileage – 29.84 miles

This past week was Homecoming Week at school, which always makes for an out of the ordinary schedule and lots of extra activity and excitement at school.  In order to be able to fully participate, I had to borrow clothes from Preston’s side of the closet on three different days – on Monday for Hawaiian Day when I wore his Hawaiian shirt, on Wednesday for Multiplicity Day when our department decided to dress like our department chair (who every single day wears a white shirt, tie, and black pants), and on Thursday for Music Genre Day when I borrowed one of Preston’s plaid button down shirts to dress in country attire.

spirit week

Another highlight from this past week took place at the gym on Wednesday.  Last month, I shared my frustrations about the looks I was consistently receiving from those who didn’t appear to support me working while pregnant.  However, on Wednesday I was wearing my “Sweating for Two” tank at the gym, and as I got ready to get onto the elliptical one of the trainers walked up to me, gave me a high five, and said how much he liked my tank top.  His support definitely gave me the motivation to push myself just a tad harder during Wednesday’s workout.

sweating for two

I closed out the week on Saturday by running the Clarendon Day 10k.  I’ll fully recap the race at a later date, but for now I’ll share that while I felt great during the first half of the race, the last three miles were a physical struggle.  Lots of pressure and round ligament pain during those last three miles confirmed what I was thinking when I went into the race – this was my last race that I’ll run until after the baby is here.  Three miles seems to be my threshold (I felt great last Saturday running the Dulles Day 5k), and its not worth the pain to push myself any further than that.  We’ll see in the next four weeks whether I’ll run the first three miles of RnR Philly before I walk the rest, but the big takeaway from Saturday’s race was that my body is telling me that running long distance isn’t going to work for now, and its important that I listen to what my body is telling me.

With my takeaway, I’ll be forging forward with limiting my running to no more than two days a week.  And depending on how I’m feeling, some weeks I may only run once a week and focus on other cardio on other days.  Thankfully, walking and the elliptical are both still low impact enough that they haven’t been resulting in extreme pressure or round ligament pain.

QOTD: Have you ever needed to modify a training plan in the middle of a training cycle?

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3

1. As always, I have to praise you for listening to your body! Do what you can.

2. You are setting a great example and listening to body is always key. High fives from me too 🙂

YAY for the trainer…I love it! You’re doing great with your training and listening to your body! I like the idea of the elliptical and walking!

4. Great week Kathryn! And I love that you are listening to your body and slowing down like its telling you to do.

5. Girl, I had such bad round ligament pain I had to stop running around 20ish weeks. It was unbearable!

6. i know i told you this in person saturday, but you are just amazing. and being smart. it was wonderful to see you on saturday and i LOVE that y’all all dressed as your department chair 🙂

Your work picture looks fun. We had spirit days in high school but my teachers didn’t really participate.

8. Props to you for knowing your own body and what it can handle while your little one is growing. That trainer is awesome 🙂

9. You have been having a great training cycle. Even though you’ve had to tweak a few workouts. You have been maintaining your fitness and that’s all that matter. Great job!

10. You’re doing great. I think it’s awesome that you are working out during pregnancy and listening to your body.

There have been a few times when an injury or illness has thrown me for a loop and led to an adjustment in training. It happens, and while it can be disappointing, I think we’ve all been there.

11. Good job listening to your body!

I think I’ve modified training plans more often than I’ve followed them exactly LOL. This week is due to bronchitis…

12. Do people really judge you for working out while pregnant? How rude!

13. I do love that tank top, its no surprise others did so much they gave you High Fives, you are an amazing gal, who knows how to listen to your body! I don’t know why anyone would l give you weird looks for working out being pregnant, maybe they are just jealous because they didn’t, or their wives didn’t!
    My sister when she was pregnant with her last was on bed rest for 4 months, it was awful, she’d of gave anything to get out and go for a walk or sweat it out. So since you can, I think it’s awesome! Besides, maybe I told you this before, but studies show women who run pregnant end up having smarter children, and those kids are generally really good at math:)

14. Becki S says:

Glad you got a positive response. I think you are totally awesome!

15. Yes, I’ve had to modify more than once. And there were times that I didn’t and I should have. It’s great of you to listen to your body. (FYI – you look awesome. I looked like a blimp during my pregnancy and felt like one too ha)

16. mkadens1 says:

I love how the entire school staff gets into Homecoming! Good for you for listening to your body. I modify all the time.

17. I’m horrified people give you dirty looks. Such a damn shame. Exercise in any form is GOOD for your body, and the baby. Shame on them. Keep rocking out and listening to your body. Only YOU and your doctors know what’s best.

18. Working out and running through two pregnancies I was all about listening to my body and modifying. Do what is best for you! The awesome part about it is that you are still moving! You may get a burst at the end- I did with both of mine!

19. Michelle @ Running with Attitude says:

You’ve done a great job listening to your body! Just do what you can. Still cannot believe people at your gym were giving you looks – just silly!

20. You are setting a great example. Listen to your body and keep up the great work!

Yes! Glad you are listening to your body and being smart about it!! I still can’t believe people gave you problems about working out pregnant…that is crazy!

22. Sounds like a really awesome week! I love that you school had all those dress up days – so fun!

23. Great job listening yo your body and just for continuing to work out while pregnant, me I was last and did nothing for both my pregnancies.

24. Good that you are listening to your body. No race is worth pushing yourself if you think it might be uncomfortable for you at this time!

Your school seems like they have a lot of fun with the “theme” days!

25. carmy says:

Props to that trainer – people shouldn’t be judging. You know your body better than them!

26. Ariana says:

Congrats on a rockin’ week with your workouts!

I think it’s so important to listen to your body, so props to you. It can be easy to get caught up in what we want to be doing as opposed to what we really need to be doing. I got a concussion during my first month of triathlon training so I definitely had to modify things for the next month after that!

27. jillconyers says:

Way to go getting it done even when life is gets busy.

28. Nice week of training! Love that tank top – I would have high five’d you too! I have never been pregnant and I just admire all of you who can still run so strong!

29. Definitely important to listen to your body! Ah I love all the outfits – I miss homecoming/spirit week from those high school days haha.

30. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4 | From Dancing to Running

31. Pingback: 2015 Clarendon Day 10k Recap (and Run Now Beer Later Recap) | From Dancing to Running