My Goals for Saturday’s Dulles Day 5k

Saturday morning I’ll be running my 12th race of the year – the Dulles Day 5k.  I’ve run this race for the past two years – last year the 10k and the year prior the 5k.  Although I had initially planned to run the 10k again this year, I ultimately decided for a number of reasons that the 5k would be a better choice.  Given how my RnR Philly training went last week, I’m very happy with my final decision.

Preston and I during last year's race Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

Preston and I during last year’s race
Photo Credit: Potomac River Running

This week’s training thus far has been going as planned, and overall, much better than last week’s training.  Because I’m feeling pretty good, I decided that I still wanted to set my usual three race goals based on my recent average paces during my shorter runs.  On Saturday I’m hoping to accomplish at least one of these three goals:

Goal A – Finish the race in under 33:24 (10:45 pace)

Goal B – Finish the race in under 34:11 (11:00 pace)

Goal C – Finish the race with a smile on my face

Given that I’ll be running on an airport runway, a super flat surface, I’m optimistic about being able to meeting either my A or B goals.  I’ve had so much fun at this race the past two years, so unless something goes terribly wrong my C goal should be well within reach.

QOTD: When you set goals for races do you focus on pushing yourself, focus on making your goals attainable, or a combination of the two?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to My Goals for Saturday’s Dulles Day 5k

1. Kelli says:

I like the goal A, B, C scenarios. I often have goals on AG placing, but try to keep myself more oriented on personal performance cause you never know who else will show up. I also try to have non-time goals such as even pacing or Maintaining HR (don’t give up and ease off the gas at mile 2). Good luck!

I like to combine the two. My goals change depending on whether I want to go for an age group prize. I guess everyone knows this #oldladyrunner loves to add to her running shrine! Have a great time Saturday, that race looks really fun.

3. I haven’t really set race goals for myself yet, I was just proud to be able to run and finish races I never thought I could. Now, though, I have my eye set on a 2:05 half (current PR is 2:09) and I chose it because sub-2 is just not happening, and I do want a manageable goal that I can meet – but also I won’t be super disappointed if I don’t meet it. If any of that makes sense!

Good luck on the race and have fun! I generally try to have a mix of goals, and a lot of it will depend on the specific race and where it falls in my training cycle, weather, etc.

I push myself in training and then try to have fun on race day. If I put in the training, I should be fine, but my first goal isn’t to meet a time goal. I just want to run it and have fun out there.

6. cassi9879 says:

I too am supposed to be in a 5K on Saturday but it’s supposed to rain. Will have to see how things pan out because I can’t get sick before Tuesday’s surgery.

7. Great goals! I used to set goals when I raced but then it became to mental for me, so now I just race for fun and to finish. It works for me 😉

8. Good luck this weekend, I bet you hit all your goals, but definitely goal C!!!!

9. Goals keep you honest and focused! Good luck reaching yours ….

10. Combination of the two (depending on the season). I usually set “harder” goals in the winter/spring when I seem to be in the best shape (odd… I guess Im a better winter trainer). So excited to run this after hearing about it through you. See you three Sunday 🙂

11. That looks like SO MUCH FUN! I wish I knew about this race, or was paying attention this year (kind of hard with 2 under 2). I love your goals, good luck and have fun. Maybe I’ll see you there next year 🙂

12. I usually just have one goal, but I like this approach! I also think running on a runway would be awesome! Have a blast!

13. Great and reasonable goals! Best of luck 😊

14. I have always been fascinated with this race on the runway! Glad you are able to do it again. I am doing a 5K on Saturday too but I am running with my dad (who I don’t think trained for it). I want to stick with him the whole time so I have no time goal in mind. This should be interesting! Just have fun and i’m sure you’ll do great! -M

15. I usually set A.B and C goals….and hope I hit at least one of them!

16. This looks like a fun race!

I have to be careful with my goal setting. I tend to psych myself out, so I will set a combination of attainable and crazy goals, and then bury them deep down inside so I don’t freak myself out. Very ridiculous, right? Good luck!

I’m pretty sure I said last year that I wanted to run this this year, but it totally fell off my radar! Bummer! Have a great time!

18. I would say a combo of the two, and it depends on the race! Some I try to push myself.

19. Jessica says:

I think its so smart to share your goals before hand so not only are you holding yourself accountable, but your team is as well!

20. Looks like such a fun race! Glad you are doing it again! Have fun!!!

21. Wahoo! Those are great goals!! You got this!

22. Elizabeth C. says:

How did it go! I was at that race too, so I probably saw you at some point!

23. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 3 | From Dancing to Running

24. Pingback: 2015 Dulles Day 5k on the Runway Recap | From Dancing to Running