Sometimes Running is the Best Medicine

Yesterday was one of those terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days.  And it was like that from the start.

I arrived at work about an hour before school started, with the intention of getting some work done in my classroom before my students started arriving for my first class.  That plan went down the drain the moment I turned my computer on and tried to log onto the network.  Long story short, by the end of the day I learned that the hard drive on my month old computer was already fried.  And according to my school’s technology specialist the problem had nothing to do with user error, I simply wound up with a bad computer.

By the time my Assistant Principal and I finished attempting to troubleshoot my computer, 45 of my 60 minutes before school started were gone, and our attention turned to finding a loaner computer to use, since among other things, our class attendance has to be taken online every period, but also, what 21st century teacher doesn’t need a computer in order to teach their lessons?

This wasn’t exactly how I planned to start a Monday morning, and it set the stage for a series of other difficulties I faced at work yesterday.  And my pregnancy hormones didn’t help any.  Thankfully, a coworker was there with a hug right when I needed one yesterday morning.  Yesterday afternoon, another coworker joked that I needed a strong drink once I got home, to which I responded by simply holding up my water bottle and saying that I’d chug it.

By the end of the day, I had accomplished very little of my to do list for the day, and with an after school chiropractor appointment, staying late wasn’t an option.  After my chiropractor appointment, the Monday frustrations continued when I encountered slower than usual traffic during my drive home.

By the time I got home, I was mentally and emotionally drained.  I wanted nothing more than to vege on the couch and watch mindless TV.  But I knew that I’d regret that choice.  And with the support of my husband, I dragged myself off the couch and we headed out for a run.

running as medicine

As it turns out, going for a run yesterday evening with Preston was just what I needed after my terrible day.  There’s just something about the adrenaline rush of running, especially when you’re doing it with somebody that you care about, that seems to lift all of your problems away.  Sure, it wasn’t the fastest or furthest run.  But it was so enjoyable to get outside, away from my my stresses, and be able to forget about it all and just enjoy the time with my husband.

We wound up running further than I usually do for a weekday run.  The further we ran, the more relaxed I felt, and the more I felt my stress from the day melt away.  The further we ran, the more I reminded myself that tomorrow is another day, and that today’s to do list that didn’t get accomplished will still be sitting there for me tomorrow.

As it turns out, going for a run with my husband was the best possible medicine for yesterday’s absolutely horrendous day.

QOTD: What stress relievers do you turn to after a horribly stressful day?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Sometimes Running is the Best Medicine

1. How ironic at the moment I’m researching why running is great alternative treatment for depression. And hormones it seems! 🙂

Sorry about your computer and what a way to start your work week. Running is a great stress reliever for me too, and sometimes I feel like I can mentally solve all life’s issues while out running! Hope Tuesday is a much better day.

I’ve always used running as a way to blow off steam. I had so many practices as a kid I never noticed they were great to deal with bad days, but running is my go to stress release now. I’ll even use my complex’s fitness room so I don’t deal with rush hour traffic after my run. I’m already home.

4. Running is definitely a great stress reliever for me too….wine doesn’t hurt either! 😛

5. Jamie says:

Even just 5 minute walk usually can fix a horrible day for me – especially if it’s gorgeous weather out!

6. I’m all about the run, but I always run in the mornings to start the day right. A nice walk can do the trick too though, followed by comfort food like ice cream 🙂

7. Running is exactly the best stress reliever for a tough rotten day:) Sorry about your day though, days like that are so emotionally draining!

8. Kelli says:

So sorry to hear about the computer issues. That is truly frustrating. Glad you got in a good run. For me, anything physical helps my mood. When the weather is good I love getting out on my bike. Hope your technology issues are gone now!

9. ugh. stinks about your frustrating day but i do agree that sometimes the only thing that can make me feel better is to pound it out on the pavement. i usually run faster if i’m upset as well! 🙂

10. mkadens1 says:

Blah! Sorry your day was consumed with computer issues. So frustrating. Glad the run was the perfect stress reliever!

11. Sorry you had such a tough day! Hope the week is getting better for ya. I’d say, I’d get a good workout in…or shop online 🙂

12. Running can certainly be the best medicine! Hope you had a better day today

13. Running sure helps, as does a bike ride! And then there’s wine…when you’re not pregnant, that is…

14. Ugh, those days are THE WORST. I’m sort of hating running right now (marathon training will do that to you I guess, haha), but I’ve definitely had this experience…sometimes lacing up your sneakers seems to make all of your problems go away!

15. Girl I agree 100% that running is the best stress reliever! I hope you have a much better day today! Hugs!

16. tonee78 says:

Sorry you had such a hard day! I always find that running makes those days better!!

17. Yes! Running is an excellent source of stress relief! 🙂

18. Thank you! I needed this right now. I’ve been going through a very difficult time recently.

A run is definitely the best medicine. Most of the times just walking out the door is the hardest part for me. Once I’m out there it isn’t a problem and I feel so much better!

Sorry about the computer – mine is on the fritz as well (takes two hours to log on….IT thinks the hardware is about to crash). So glad your run with Preston made the day feel better. I need to remind myself to do that after a bad/long day.

21. What a great way to end a bad day! If only more people would turn to running than run to their medicine cabinet! Great job!