Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

This is the shortest training recap that I’ve ever written.  I only worked out once this past week.

On Saturday, I ran 3.30 miles, followed by a 0.49 mile cool down walk.

3.30 mile run

That’s it.  No extra cardio.  No weight training.  It just didn’t happen.

Between letting my body rest after last Sunday’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon, followed by a long first week at school with my students, which included unexpected foot and Achilles pain as well as Back to School Night on Thursday, training just wasn’t in the cards for me this past week.

But I’m not letting the lack of training get me down.  Its clear that I was in dire need of the extra rest days.  And I’m more than happy that I listened to my body.  But I’m also ready to keep myself in half marathon shape for my next half in just six short weeks.

QOTD: When was the last time that you had to put resting your body over trying to work through the pain?

This entry was posted in RnR Philly Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1

Glad you were able to get some rest last week…we all need that every once in a while! I’ve worked through the pain one too many times and definitely learned my lesson! 😀

2. You did the right thing girl! Being pregnant takes so much more out of your body! You are busy creating another person! Don’t be too hard on yourself! I’m proud of you for listening to what you needed!

Congrats on getting that run in! Given the first week back at school and having just done a half marathon, I think that’s pretty good 🙂 Hopefully the foot pain is gone.

4. one run is better than no run and when you’re running for two, you have to listen twice as much to your body! hoping your foot pain subsides soon.

5. Carmy says:

Oh no! I hope your archilles feel better soon! I recall all my teachers being on their feet a lot too… hopefully you can rest it often.

6. Elle says:

Hear hear! I am happyy for you that you took the time to get the rest you obvioulsy needed. So important yet hard to do. Good for you.

7. Happy to hear you are listening to your body and the baby and taking the rest when you need it!

8. When I had stitches in my leg this summer, I realized I needed rest more than a workout to train for Dumbo. That week off might have made me slower but it let me heal. And for you, the rest is so critical because it’s rest for TWO of you 🙂

9. You have got to rest when your body tells you. You are resting for two!! Soon you will have days that you will wish for rest. Have a great week!

10. I’m a huge fan of taking time off after racing. Resting your body is key, especially when you’re growing another human 🙂

11. Sorry about the Achillies pain, I am dealing with that myself, and have been for years it’s no fun. Nip it in the bud soon, so it doesn’t linger like it has with me. Your smart to rest!
    I also think you’re super smart to rest when needed, your having an awesome pregnancy and being able to run as much as you are is amazing, I hope you can keep it up as much as you’d like through the remainder, very awesome!

12. I was right there with ya sista this week! I got in only 3.5 miles on Thursday at about that pace after my half marathon on Sunday. I have marathon training to look forward too and plenty of workouts and getting up early on Saturday morning from now until April, so I think taking it easy this week was just fine!

13. Sounds like my kind of week! I took some time to rest after Virginia Beach, too!

Sometimes, you just need to have that break. Yes, there is work to be done, but you also have to listen to your body and give it a chance to recover.

14. I always think is smart to give your body extra rest after a big race weekend. After marathons, I do not run for 2 weeks and just do very light swimming or biking. Being kind to your body helps prevent injuries.

15. Becki S says:

I’ve had a few different instances most of them being related to my SI and siatica. I try to head them off by taking time off before they get bad. You are still totally impressing me with your patience and resilience. SHEro for me for sure!

I’m glad! You and that baby needed the rest!!

17. Oh, sounds like it’s time to take it easy! Good for you that you recognized it!

18. Oh man I hate resting but I injured my back in July and had to do it. It’s even harder when your’e a personal trainer because in addition to sitting out your own training, it also meant I was losing money. But luckily now I’m getting better so I know it was for the best.

19. natrunsfar says:

That sweet baby will be here before you know it!! Glad you are resting!!

20. It is always important to listen to your body. If your body is asking for rest you should take it and then your next workout will be better.

21. Oh I’ve taken LOTS of rest recently. Haha. But I have extenuating circumstances for that. We runners seem to take it really hard if we have to rest more than one day, but honestly…I think that’s probably good and normal and the right thing to do. Especially after a race! Maybe that’s not what the pros do but…hello…we’re NOT pros. We don’t have anti-gravity treadmills and the best doctors and medications in the world to keep our bodies in tip top shape all the time. Guilt over missed workouts (and the confidence slump that follows) is the number one mental struggle I have to help my clients combat. You’re fitter than you realize and you’ll have no problem staying in half marathon shape for the next one. 😀

22. jillconyers says:

Resting when you’re body needs it is smart training and it pays off in the long run. Pun intended haha 🙂

23. If you need rest you need rest! I know that it sucks though sometimes because you feel like you WANT to exercise but you also know you need to take it easy.

24. Pingback: My Goals for Saturday’s Dulles Day 5k | From Dancing to Running

Glad you were able to get some rest last week. I imagine it was a busy and long week with summer ending/school starting.

26. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2 | From Dancing to Running

27. Pingback: October 2015 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running

28. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4 | From Dancing to Running