Virginia Beach, Here I Come!

Disclaimer: As a Rock ‘n’ Blogger I received complimentary entry into this weekend’s Rock ‘n’ Roll races.  As always, all opinions are my own.

This weekend will be monumental for a number of reasons.  I’ll be completing my first Rock ‘n’ Roll Remix Challenge (two races in one weekend), by participating in both the Mile on the Sand Saturday morning followed by the Half Marathon Sunday Morning.  On Sunday, I’ll be running my fifth half marathon.  But what makes this half marathon even more monumental is that it’ll be my first pregnant half marathon.

Looking back on each of my previous four half marathons, each one was memorable for different reasons.  In January 2014, I completed the Disney World Half Marathon, which was my first half marathon.  Two months later, I ran Rock ‘n’ Roll USA, just weeks after spending the night in the hospital following a TIA.  Last August I ran Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach and pushed myself to an incredible new PR after a summer of “no excuses” training.  And this past March I ran Shamrock Half Marathon only seven weeks after being in a major car accident.

first four half marathons

This coming weekend will be one for my personal record book.  My little guy has been with me this entire training cycle.  Together, we’ve been preparing for his first half marathon.  I’m sure it’ll be quite emotional when I cross the finish line Sunday morning, knowing that I completed a half marathon at 24 weeks pregnant.

I usually set three goals for each major race that I run.  But my one and only goal for Sunday is to cross the finish line upright.  This race isn’t about a finish time.  It isn’t about maintaining a certain pace.  Sure, I would love to finish the race faster than I ran it a year ago, but given the likelihood that this race will involve multiple stops at the porta potties along the course, my focus will be on getting to the finish line.  And I’m beyond thankful that Preston will be running this race with me to help ensure that I make it to the finish line safely.

Be sure to follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for updates throughout the weekend.  I can guarantee that there will be lots of pictures documenting this monumental occasion!

QOTD: How many goals do you set for each race that you run?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Virginia Beach, Here I Come!

1. Ahh it’s almost race weekend. See you on Sunday if not at the expo!

Have a wonderful weekend!

3. Good luck this weekend! I think you’re being very smart about not setting a time goal for this race. Just enjoy the experience.

4. So exciting!!!! I’m still so impressed at your training while pregnant. The fact that your little one will have “run” a half marathon before he’s even born will be a great a great story to tell :). Good luck!!

5. Goodluck this wkend! I am looking forward to it as well. Hopefully we will be able to meet up:)

6. I’ll be there running, too! Good luck! You rock! 🙂

7. I’ll be there running, too! Good luck and what an exciting thing to do! 🙂

8. Jamie says:

So exciting!!! Good luck! 🙂

Good luck with both races! Your little guy will need a medal hanger of his own 🙂

10. Take it easy this weekend it’s going to be hot! You are quite the inspiration 🙂

11. cassi9879b says:

Good luck and be careful this weekend!

12. Hmmmmm, I wonder if they’ll give you a partial medal for the partial human?

13. when i was pregnant, the LAST thing on my mind would’ve been to run a half marathon. congrats on such a positive influence on your babies life!

Girl, you are amazing! I can’t imagine running a race while pregnant! You go girl! Can’t wait to hear all about it!!

15. Hope it goes well!! And yes, you will be emotional crossing the finish line. It’s always a rush, but those pregnancy hormones thrown in are something else! I think I sobbed after finishing a half at about 5 months pregnant!

My suggestions: bring some extra water and wear leggings/shorts with good support around the waist/belly area. Your back may also be more sore afterward, as well

16. natrunsfar says:

Have fun this weekend!! I hear the Virginia Beach course is great!!
    Your baby is going to love all the pictures and stories of your running adventures while pregnant!!

17. jillconyers says:

Have a great weekend Kathryn. Enjoy the run is a good goal 🙂

18. Pingback: Friday Five – Five Fall Races | From Dancing to Running

19. so excited for you-have a great weekend and i cant wait to hear about it!

20. Becki S says:

Have a wonderful race! So inspiring to see women staying fit through all the different chapters and phases of life. Thanks for sharing.

21. Elizabeth C. says:

Those are really great goals- and they set you up for success quite nicely. I hope you had fun!

22. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 18 | From Dancing to Running

Way late to this party, so sorry I’m so behind!! I know you did great at VA Beach, so proud of you!