Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 16 and 17

As I shared in Friday’s post about our babymoon, I successfully kept up with my training during our week in Florida.  Being able to keep up with a training plan while traveling isn’t always easy, but I’m so glad that I was able to.

Part of why I was able to keep up was because of the fitness center at our beach hotel.  The fitness center there was a dream for any athlete wanting to work out while on vacation.  Between the treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes, I counted over 10 cardio machines.  And in addition to free weights, there were actual weight machines.  And a separate yoga room.  And a bar with cooling towels and fresh fruit.  It was a hotel gym dream come true!

gym

gym bar

While at the beach I also took a couple of midday walks on the beach.  It was a great way to stretch my legs, as well as to be able to enjoy the gorgeous weather we had while in Florida.

beach walk

On Saturday I completed my last long training run in preparation for Virginia Beach.  My motivation was the Gone for a Run Sole Sister 7 Mile Run.  Its always fun to receive a medal at the end of a training run!

sole sister virtual

This coming week is a very exciting week.  Not only is it race week, but its also my first week back at school.  This week will be filled with lots of teacher meetings as well as setting up my classroom.  Historically, back to work week is always a long and busy one, so I’m quite glad that I have very little mileage to log on my runs this week.  It’ll definitely be a balancing act in terms of making sure that I don’t over exhaust my pregnancy body.  You can bet that I’ll be using my success from the past two weeks as motivation for the coming week.

Mon 8/17 – 1.86 mile walk with Riley

Tues 8/18 – 3.25 mile run, 0.33 mile cool down walk

Wed 8/19 – Rest day

Thurs 8/20 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.58 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms, chest, back, shoulders, legs, glutes

Fri 8/21 – Lots of walking around Disney

Sat 8/22 – 3.15 mile run on the treadmill, 0.31 mile cool down walk, lots of walking around Disney

Sun 8/23 – Lots of walking around Disney

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.58 miles (9.12 miles less than week 15)

Mon 8/24 – Rest day

Tues 8/25 – 3.50 mile run on the treadmill, 0.67 mile cool down walk, legs, abs, arms, shoulders, chest, 1.54 mile walk on the beach

Wed 8/26 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, 1.13 mile walk on the beach

Thurs 8/27 – Rest day

Fri 8/28 – Rest day

Sat 8/29 – Sole Sister Virtual 7 Mile Run, 0.81 mile cool down walk

Sun 8/30 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.15 miles (5.57 miles more than week 16)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 262.36 miles

QOTD: What is one feature or piece of equipment that you wish hotel gyms would have?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Weeks 16 and 17

1. Wow! That hotel gym looks amazing! Good luck with the first week back at work!!!

2. I love that you had a babymoon! That was a new one to me. You are looking fabulous and sounds like the training is going well.

Wow, that hotel gym sounds wonderful! I don’t think I’ve ever been to a hotel gym with a yoga room and cooling towels. I love the photos from your vacation 🙂

4. carmyy says:

Is that a running for 2 tank? Super cute! How have you been feeling running pregnant compared to before? My friend’s been having a rough time adjusting

• Its from For Two Fitness. I’ve been loving their tops!

Running while pregnant has certainly taken some adjusting, both physically and mentally. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to keep it up, but I’m certainly trying my best.

5. That gym sounds fantastic! I love when they have cool towels!

6. happy first week of school – hope it’s a good run. i was thinking of all the students and all my teacher friends while i was running this morning! 🙂

7. Jamie says:

I wish hotel gyms/my apartment gym had a squat rack, but I’m assuming it’s probably not allowed because of insurance/high risk of injury 😦

8. That does sound like a fabulous gym – it may even have gotten me, the most outdoor-runner gym-averse girl in just to take advantage of cooling towels! Happy first week of school, I’m sure it will be quite a year 🙂

Good luck getting back to work. Schools starting last week and my teacher friends were pretty tired.

10. nice looking hotel gym! good luck this weekend.

11. Sounds like things are right on track. Glad you got good weather here in the Sunshine state 🙂

12. Ange says:

I love it when hotel gyms are well equipped, that’s great you were able to keep up with your workout last week 🙂

13. I had never heard of a babymoon before, but sounds like fun to me! Another great week of training!

14. mkadens1 says:

Way to get everything in even on vacay! A hotel with a great fitness center is a rare gem. Glad you enjoyed. All I need is a good mill and some free weights and I’m happy.

15. Sounds like an amazing week! Good job on getting the runs in. I’m just happy if the hotel gym has a decent treadmill and wipes to clean it before and after. Yeah, I have low expectations.

16. jillconyers says:

What a wonderful fit vacation. Clean and treadmills are my biggest requests for hotel gyms. A sauna is a nice bonus.

17. You had an amazing week and you are so totally ready! Can’t wait to see you Sunday treats you!

Great job keeping up your training while on vacation! That’s not easy to do!

19. Great job keeping on your runs during vacay, it can be so hard. I am jealous that you are running the Virginia Beach RNR, This is the first year I haven’t done it in awhile! Good luck!

20. So fun to go on a babymoon! I love when gyms have an elliptical for some great low impact training.

21. SharitaFit says:

Looks like a great trip! And medals are the main reason I even run! (seriously!)

22. Can I wish that hotel gyms also came with a free hotel masseuse for post-workout massages? 😉

23. I was gone last week, but I did catch your picture on Instagram about the news. I was telling my friend how you guys waited to do a special unveil at Disney she thought that was awesome but had no idea how you didn’t sneak a peak:) Congrats to you both, you guys are going to be great parents to that little guy when he comes!!!

24. great job keeping up with your training while on vacation. I am heading to Tampa next week for a work conference-I hope our gym is that nice!

25. natrunsfar says:

I think that it is so awesome that you are training for a half marathon during your pregnancy!! Great job on your training!!!

26. Priya says:

The gym in the hotel is prety decent. All the best for this weekend.

27. Becki S says:

We totally pick our hotels based on either their hotel gym or their proximity to a nice CrossFit. Hope your first week back goes well!

28. Great job on yoru training! I am excited to hear how race weekend goes for you this weekend! 🙂

29. Ah can’t wait to see how the race goes! I think you’ll rock it! Also, that beach pic is beautiful!