Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

As I’m sure you gathered from Friday’s blog post, this past week has been an extremely busy, and exciting, one.  I was so honored to be one of my friend Jen’s bridesmaids at her wedding on Thursday, and then the celebration continued in Charlottesville over the weekend.  It was a long, but very fun, couple of days.

Preston and I during Cocktail Hour on Thursday, and Jen and I at a Charlottesville winery on Saturday

On top of all of the excitement, I’m continuing to deal with a bit of pain in my right calf.  I’ve thought that this was due to running in worn out shoes, and started breaking in a new pair of shoes almost two weeks ago.  But between switching to new shoes and doing lots of foam rolling, the pain has yet to fully disappear.  Granted, I spent a lot of time on my feet over the past several days with all of the wedding related activities, which I’m sure isn’t helping my calf at all.  Hopefully the pain will fully go away soon.

Because of the calf pain, I didn’t complete any cross training this past week.  I did get in one 30 minute weight training session, but that’s the only exercise I did beyond running.  Hopefully I’ll be able to fit in a bit more exercise this week, before another couple of busy weekends are upon us.

Despite a busy week and my ongoing calf pain, I finished out the weekend yesterday with a 5 mile run

Mon 8/3 – 3.10 mile run, 0.39 mile cool down walk

Tues 8/4 – Rest day

Wed 8/5 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.48 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms, back, shoulders

Thurs 8/6 – “Rest” day, aka Jen’s wedding day

Fri 8/7 – Rest day

Sat 8/8 – Rest day

Sun 8/9 – 5.00 mile run, 0.42 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 12.49 miles (8.89 miles less than week 13)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 209.93 miles

QOTD: Any suggestions for how to alleviate my calf pain?  Its usually worse when I’m running or walking as opposed to sitting still.

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 14

1. I think it depends on where your calf pain is located? I assume you are stretching after your runs?

2. That’s a shame about your calf! If it has been persistent for weeks you may want to call your doctor to make sure you don’t have a minor tear of some kind. I hope that you feel better soon!

3. The wedding looks fun! I would prob get the calf checked out bc it has lasted 2 weeks and bc of the baby. Weird things happen and it could be pregnancy related like a small blood clot. Doctor’s daughter I err on the side of caution.Feel better!

4. briwifruit says:

Ugh calf pain is the worst. I used to get it all the time, but found foam rolling, doing heel raises every day (single leg, 10 on each side) and wearing compression socks seemed to help. I get calf pain when running too, but it doesn’t bother me if I run wearing calf sleeves.

5. What about getting a massage for your calf? Or, Epsom salt bath?

6. Hmm, I might contact the doc. It’s been awhile and being pregnant you don’t want to mess around! Looks like a fun and relaxing weekend though!!

I’ve battled tight calves and it’s a 4-prong attach. Icy hot, compression sleeves, foam rolling and ice. I start with the foam roller then bring out The Stick and lacrosse ball.

8. I had calf pain for the very first time on my run last week. I told my massage therapist and she suggested Arnicare. It’s good for calves and muscles that are tight.

Looks like you had a great week minus the calf pain. I love the color of your bride’s maid dress. Hope the calf is back to normal soon!

10. mkadens1 says:

Sorry to hear about your calf pain. I hope it fades as quickly as it came on. When I strained my calf I backed off of activity and applied topical magnesium then wore a compression sleeve. Worked like a charm.

11. Oh no! The worst! If it hurts most when your running, you may want to take a little break from running and do more cross training, vs the other way around. Give it some rest and see if it feels better.

12. For me, heat actually worked better than ice for tight calves, although a hot pad can be tough to take in this weather!

13. I’ll also suggest possibly seeing a doctor, and even taking a few days off if it’s not getting any better.

14. I would probably check with your doctor, too. It might be something like a knot or strain, but it could also be a deficiency of something. Since you’re running for two, I would let a professional take a look first.

15. Becki S says:

Hope your calf gets better!

16. Kelli says:

I experienced very tight calves a few times. One was when I first switch from heel strike to forefoot striking. It took several months of tight calves until my body adapted. I would stretch and use the “rumble roller,” a more torturous version of a foam roller. On a more short term basis I’ve experienced it after a duathlon – stretching helped it subside over a few days. Good luck!

17. Do you foam roll? That can help plus stretching your hamstrings.

18. You look so pretty at the wedding (not that you don’t look pretty other times but…:-)). Sorry your calf has been giving you trouble. I’d say if it doesn’t get better soon it’s time to have it checked out.

19. Sorry to hear about your calf pain. I use a product called BelleCore. Have you heard of it? it’s a buffer that does magic. Same effect as a foam roller but not as painful. I don’t get anything for saying that, I just like it and wouldn’t be able to be an endurance junkie without it 🙂

20. Sorry about the calf girl! I’d definitely go get it checked out if it doesn’t get better soon. I ended up having a calf strain last fall. Not fun.

21. Elle says:

Glad you had a nice weekend at the wedding. Sorry about your calf. Sure hope it eases up for you soon. No fun being sidelined by pain, certainly!

22. i have been having shin pain off and on and i figured by rolling my calf more, i was able to loosen it up! but i can feel there are knots and tightness in my calf-I need to just go get a massage soon!

23. I always feel so special when I am invited to be in someone’s wedding. Very special time. Hmm calf pain? Get it checked out. Not to alarm you but my boss had calf pain and it ended up being a blood clot. Just let a professional take a look at it.

24. priya says:

Go to the doc rightaway. Tc

25. Ouch. Foam roll and I would contact your PT.

26. my calves are always tight and what contribute to my constant shin pain. Hmm..I usually do self massage on my calves and use my knuckles to really get in there. A hot compress might also help loosen it up a bit.

27. LeeAnn says:

Where did you get the navy/mint/stripe dress in your picture above? It is so pretty!

Beautiful wedding pictures! Hope you’ll be able to have your doc check out your calf for you.

29. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 15 | From Dancing to Running