Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13

Its hard to believe that five weeks from today I’ll be waking up after having completed my fifth half marathon.  While some think I’m crazy to be spending a second summer in a row training for a half marathon, this time while also pregnant, I like to think its a good crazy.

After flying back from Seattle on Monday and then spending Monday evening with my in-laws (we flew in and out of Philly in order to have a non-stop flight which was also cheaper than flying out of any of the 3 airports here in DC), we didn’t get home until just after midnight.  That eliminated Monday as an option for any training.  I was so exhausted on Tuesday from the jet lag and long day of travel that I decided that it was best to take an unplanned rest day.  That meant that I was only able to run two days last week, but I think the unplanned rest day was for the best, especially after being on my feet as much as I was while we were in Seattle.

Other than the back to back rest days, it felt great to get back into my regular workout routine this past week.  I was able to do some weight training as well as two days of cross training, in addition to my 12 mile run on Saturday.  On Friday, I powerwalked five miles on the treadmill in order to complete the Road Shark Virtual 5 Mile Race.

road shark

The training highlight of my week was my 12 mile run on Saturday.  After completing a couple of chores at home, I was out of the house headed for the trail by 9am.  My growing baby belly is starting to slow me down a bit, and I noticed last weekend during my long run in Seattle that my endurance is starting to fade a bit.  Up until this week I’d been using 3:15/0:45 intervals for my long runs while training for Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, but decided on Saturday to cut back to 2:15/0:45 intervals.  Cutting down the length of my run intervals by a minute definitely helped me to keep up my stamina, and surprisingly I felt better than I thought I would at the end of my run.  My long run pace on Saturday was 11:21 min/mile, which although slower than my long run paces back in the Spring is still faster than my long run paces from last summer.  (Last summer I completed the Leesburg 20k at an 11:44 min/mile pace and Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach at an 11:27 min/mile pace.)  I did take a bathroom break just after 7 miles, during which I also drank some Powerade and refilled my water bottle, so I know that I’ll have to use the porta potties during RnRVB at least once, which will slow down my race pace, but I’m more than okay with that.

12 mile run

As I shared on Friday in my August goals post, its going to be another couple busy weeks, which makes me thankful that this week is a cutback week for my long run.  It couldn’t be coming at a better time!

Mon 7/27 – Travel day

Tues 7/28 – Rest day

Wed 7/29 – 3.15 mile run on the treadmill, 0.37 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, glutes

Thurs 7/30 – 35 minutes of yoga

Fri 7/31 – 5.35 mile walk on the treadmill (5 mile powerwalk followed by a cool down)

Sat 8/1 – 12.00 mile run, 0.51 mile cool down walk

Sun 8/2 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 21.38 miles (6.84 miles more than week 12)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 197.44 miles

QOTD: Do you listen to your body and take unplanned rest days, or just power through when you’re extremely tired?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13

1. That’s amazing that you can still run that far with a baby inside lol. That’s great though, you are accustomed to it. Way to stay active.

2. yikes only 5 weeks until school starts too! Impressive how you have kept up your running so well in to your pregnancy.

3. Kelli says:

I will modify my plan if I’m overly tired or fatigued. It could mean a day off entirely, or I could reduce the intensity or volume of a session. For example, an hour of interval work could be replaced with 20 minutes of aerobic intensity training. Last year I stuck with the plan as much as possible which resulted in less than adequate sleep when life got in the way and I wound up sick four times. This year I’ve learned to listen to my body a bit more and only had one cold this winter and so far healthy through the spring and summer.

4. So amazing! I remember how tired I was when pregnant! It amazes me you are still able to run! Great week girl! And the unplanned rest days are important…especially when you are pregnant!

5. Jamie says:

Fabulous week of training! I usually try to power through, but when I’m tired for multiple days in a row I know it’s my body’s way of telling me I need to rest and recover!

6. Jessie says:

Hearing about your training for the Rock ‘n’ Roll VB Half Marathon totally makes me miss living there! Keep up the awesome work. Sounds like you had a great week of training 🙂

7. I love that Road Shark medal. I am so mad at myself for not getting on board with that.

I do take unplanned rest days. Sometimes, the body just can’t keep going and if you don’t listen to your body, it’s most likely not going to end well.

You know, I was thinking about it, and I think VaBeach is going to be my 5th half too! Starting to get super excited!

8. thebarbella says:

I probably do a little of both. Some days powering through is what you need, but other days (like today) I take a note from my body and change up what’s programmed.

The Summer is flying by! I’ll definitely modify my workouts if I’m feeling exhausted for some reason, especially if I’ve been feeling like that a couple weeks in a row. After all that travel, it makes sense that you needed another day to rest!

10. It’s awesome you are keeping up with your goals as your little sidekick grows. Hopefully he/she encourages you to the finish line!

11. I only have time to go for brisk walking, but you are inspiring.

12. I’m so inspired that you are keeping up so well with your training during pregnancy. That baby is going to skip crawling and go straight to running 🙂

13. School starts for me very soon too (I’m a teacher)! I can’t believe how fast summer went! Way to go on running through your pregnancy – that’s amazing!

14. way to go! you are being really smart this summer and i’m so glad you’ve been able to keep running!

15. Good for you! I have a feeling this will be your best half-marathon yet!

16. mkadens1 says:

You’re doing SO great through this pregnancy! Running that far is challenging in a non-preggo state. Good for you!

17. great week of training in the summer heat + pregnant! I love RnRVB – great race!

Do you live in DC ares? I live in Arlington 🙂

18. Great job! Some days I power through it but sometimes I listen to my body and am so thankful in the end!

19. I feel like I can’t say it enough! Great job, running for 2!

I absolutely take unplanned rest days. I know that I need to listen to my body when it says to slow down, and I don’t even think twice anymore. Good job on the long run, you are still doing amazing!!

21. jillconyers says:

I learned the hard way to always listen to my body. Planned or not if I need a rest day I’m taking it. Great job!

22. Listen to your body, congrats on the baby and the half marathon!!! You got his.

23. I listen to my body… if you are overtrained you could cause risk of injury/sick… that would mean a DNS 😦

24. Yeah, tired for one day is a power through. Tired for multiple days straight requires recalculating.

25. I’m careful about listening to my body. I run 6 days a week with pretty high mileage, but I can tell when I need an extra day off. I’m fine with running on tired legs, but if I’m feeling overall fatigue and don’t have energy, I take a rest day or at least cut my miles back.

26. Pingback: Road Shark Virtual 5 Mile Race Recap | From Dancing to Running

27. I’m half and half about powering thru or taking a day off. Some days I’m tired and don’t feel like running but do it anyway. However some days I know I’m tired because my body is just tired from the training, so I take an off day.

28. eliz frank says:

I listen to my body a lot more than I did when I was younger… I was always an exercise, dance, yoga, karate, running girl, but injury and health matters laid some of it to rest. I still do certain things but I’m more attentive.