August 2015 Monthly Goals

I feel like I say this every month, but time is just flying by!  I wish it would slow down so that I have more time to enjoy my summer break, and more time to get things done around the house in preparation for baby’s arrival later this year.  And of course, more time for fitness too.

I had three goals for July.  And while I succeeded in reaching two of them, I fell a bit short in reaching the third.

july 2015 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 75 miles.

Grade: B

Without counting the miles that I’ll log later today when I complete the Road Shark Virtual 5 Miler, my current mileage total for the month of July is 61.5 miles.  This isn’t what I wanted to accomplish, but given how busy July was when it came to my social calendar, and a couple of days when my pregnant body was screaming for extra rest, I’m not at all disappointed with the progress I did make in reaching my mileage goal.

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Grade: A

This past month I once again successfully listened to my body when it told me that I was too tired to exercise.  There were also a couple of days when my feet were very swollen, likely due to the high heat and humidity, so putting compression socks on and putting my feet up became a higher priority then getting to the gym or getting outside for a run.

3.  Enjoy the month’s social activities.

Grade: A

As most of you are well aware, its been quite a busy month.  Between traveling to Seattle for one wedding, co-hosting a bridal weekend full of activities for another bride’s wedding, as well as other assorted activities, I had a lot going on.  And not once did I feel guilty about putting in extra energy and focus towards those activities and taking that energy and focus away from working out.  Life after all is all about balance.

August is going to be just as busy as July was, especially with it including more travel and the last weeks of my training for Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach.  Now, more than ever before in my pregnancy, will it be critical for me to focus on using my goals to also help keep my life in balance.

aug 2015 goals

1.  Run, walk, and elliptical at least 75 miles.

Since I fell shy of reaching my mileage goal last month, I’m going after it again this month.  With two double digit long runs scheduled for this month, I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to successfully reach this goal.

2.  Continue to listen to my body.

Like I mentioned last month, this goal will likely be part of my monthly goal setting until the end of my pregnancy.

3.  Weight train at least once a week.

Weight training is just as important as cardio is.  And although I’ve had to make some adjustments over the past several weeks as the baby has gotten bigger, my doctor emphasized at my appointment this past week that continuing to do some light weight training will help make pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum recovery easier.

4.  Work out at least three times while on vacation.

Later this month, Preston and I will be headed to Florida for a week for our babymoon and gender reveal.  While we’re in Florida, I know that I’ll be cutting back on my regular exercise, but I want to still get a work out in on three different days while we’re there.

5.  Enjoy the month’s social activities.

Its going to be another busy month when it comes to our social calendar.  This weekend we’ll be celebrating our wedding anniversary, next weekend I’m in my friend Jen’s wedding, the following weekend we’ll be headed to New Jersey for my sister-in-law’s baby shower, and then only a couple of days later will we be headed to Florida for our babymoon.  Its going to be busy, and I refuse to let myself feel guilty for one minute about needing to make modifications to my exercise routine in order to be able to fully enjoy everything.  That includes a current plan to move my last long run for Rock ‘n’ Roll training to either a Friday or Monday.

QOTD: What are your goals for August?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation, Training and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to August 2015 Monthly Goals

It is really important to not feel badly if you don’t meet monthly goals. My training has been all over the place this summer because of my calf injury and not once did I say to myself that I had not been doing enough. Doing the best you can with exercise is good enough! That’s my motto anyway!

2. I’ve told you before how impressed I am with your fitness while being pregnant! You’re doing great! Keep up the good work.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!! Great job listening to your body – I agree, it’s the most important thing to do right now! Have fun celebrating your anniversary!

4. Keep up the great work. Very impressive.

5. mkadens1 says:

You are doing great! So nice you feel good enough to workout. My goal for Aug is to ramp up the miles for my marathon on 10/4. I slacked in Europe in July. If only walking counted!

6. I’d like to run 100 miles in August, which is very doable if I don’t succumb to the horrible weather like today and just stay indoors and read blogs :-). I’d also like to get out of the desert a couple times, to get away from the aforementioned horrible weather. A beach trip sounds like a good goal.

7. Holy moly, you are busy! Which is always good and fun, but can wreak havoc on training plans!

Goals for August? Get through Tour De Pain, and taper for RNR Va Beach!

8. Jamie says:

You have some great goals for next month! I’m trying to focus on the positive in life and remaining stress free while dealing with some unforeseen changes. Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

9. You did great in July girl! I hear ya about time going by way too quickly. We start school in two weeks! Yikes! Good luck with your goals in August! And how exciting about the gender reveal!!!

10. Sometimes listening to your body requires you to alter your goals for the week or month. In the long it’s the way to go in my opinion. Especially now that you are training for 2 🙂

11. I’m really amazed by the way you’ve kept your fitness goals at this time of big changes in your life 🙂 My three goals are to RELAX and enjoy post-bar freedom, make the most of my travels to England, and prepare well for Dumbo in September! Oh, and get my BFF’s kick-ass baby shower gift together in time for the end of the month.

12. Those are amazing goals!! Keep up the good work!

13. Learning to listen to your body is such a great goal. I know I always struggle with what I “should” do with my body may be telling me otherwise.

14. I think you’re doing an awesome job, especially given some SUPER HUGE changes in your life! Not gonna lie, my main goal for August is not to drop dead of heat exhaustion while training for NYCM, lol.

15. Sounds like you did great this month and have great goals for August! My goals are to stick to my training and avoid heat exhaustion haha!

16. Becki S says:

Love this!! I need to remember to make monthly goals. Love the one of adding weight training once a week =)

17. It does sounds like you have a busy schedule for August. Enjoy all the social outings coming up. Great job on keeping up w your fitness with everything else going on.
    School will be back in session before you know it.

18. Ariana says:

Great job on your goals! I think completing the miles you did while being pregnant is an amazing accomplishment, so props to you!

One of my goals for August includes swimming at least once each week. I have a sprint triathlon coming up during the first week of September and have been slacking on my swimming!

19. I love reading yoru monthly check ins. I am totally with you on knowing I need to do strength training… but actually DOING so is another thing. Have a successful August! 🙂

20. You have such a great attitude about adjusting your goals around living life. Sometimes more important things come around, and it’s great that you don’t feel guilty!

I will say that I think I had an easier recovery postpartum thanks to weight training. I do wish I’d done a little more core work during pregnancy, so just a thought for you for the rest of your pregnancy!

21. TeamFitMommy says:

I am sure you will reach your goals! I love that part of your monthly goals is to maintain your social calendar. When I was pregnant that really went by the wayside… Keep up the good work!

22. jillconyers says:

July was an awesome month for you! I’m sure August will be the same. July was crazy busy but I managed to accomplish everything I set out to do. Bring on August!

23. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13 | From Dancing to Running

24. It’s been a number of months since I did “monthly goals” and I’m pretty sure I stopped doing them because I was injured and unable to run. Right now, my goals are to be active and get stronger to avoid injury, oh and play as much as I can outside with our girls 😉

25. Pingback: September 2015 Monthly Goals | From Dancing to Running