Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

If you follow me on Instagram then you know that Preston and I were in Seattle for 4.5 days.  We left early Thursday afternoon to drive to Philly to catch our evening flight to Seattle, and flew back to Philly yesterday.  After spending the evening with Preston’s family, we arrived back home just after midnight last night.  It was a bit of an exhausting trip, especially given that I’m 18 weeks pregnant, but I’m so glad that we were able to head to Seattle, the highlight of which was the wedding of two of my college friends Friday evening.

Preston and I at the wedding Friday evening

Preston and I at the wedding Friday evening

While in Seattle, we spent quite a bit of time catching up with my college friends, as well as doing some sightseeing.  My favorite area of the city was Pike Place Market.  I could have spent all day there checking out the farmers market shops and watching the flying fish.  It was such a beautiful place to visit!

Preston and I during our walking tour of Seattle

Preston and I during our walking tour of Seattle

We loved watching the flying fish at Pike Place Market

We loved watching the flying fish at Pike Place Market

Despite being out of town, I did still complete my long run on Sunday.  Preston and I enjoyed running along Elliott Bay during our 5.75 mile run, followed by an almost 1 mile cool down walk.  In addition to our long run, we spent quite a bit of time while in Seattle walking around the city.  Walking was our main form of transportation, which while exhausting was certainly the best way to see the city.

During our run along Elliott Bay

During our run along Elliott Bay

The past two weeks haven’t been ideal in terms of my training.  Between a busy bridal weekend a week and a half ago for one friend’s wedding and traveling to Seattle this past week, my schedule has been anything but normal.  I look forward to getting back on track with my usual training for the remainder of this week.  Its hard to believe that there’s only 5.5 weeks left until Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach!

Mon 7/20 – Rest day

Tues 7/21 – Rest day

Wed 7/22 – 3.31 mile run, 0.44 mile cool down walk

Thurs 7/23 – Travel day

Fri 7/24 – 10 minutes on the elliptical, 2.00 mile run, 0.45 mile cool down walk, lots of walking around Seattle

Sat 7/25 – Lots of walking around Seattle

Sun 7/26 – 5.75 mile run, 0.94 mile cool down walk, lots of walking around Seattle

Total Weekly Mileage – 14.54 miles (0.61 miles more than week 11)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 176.06 miles

QOTD: How do you keep up with your training plan while traveling?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12

I’ll make plans to either run on vacation or use it as a break. I’ll make sure to pack workout clothes so I use them, and not end up wasting space in my suitcase.

I love the dress you wore to the wedding, it looks great on you 🙂 Traveling is definitely challenging. I find it works best if I specifically schedule in my workouts, not just say I’ll do it at some point on the trip. But even the best laid plans can go awry. With all the plane delays on my Boston trip, I never managed to get a work out in.

3. Sharon says:

Love Seattle! Great job getting your long run in while traveling! I also like to run while out of town. I try to get it done either early morning or later in the evening to fit it in. It’s great seeing a new place on foot!

4. Way to keep it up during vacation! I’ve never been to Seattle, but I’ve heard great things. I’ll be in Texas during the peek of my marathon training, so we’ll see how that goes EEK!

5. The nice thing about running is that you can do it so easily when you travel. I will cut back a little sometimes, to fit it in, but other than that I love to run to explore new places.

6. I plan ahead to make sure I get it done. I travel way too much to not work out when I’m gone. I try to make it fun!

7. mkadens1 says:

Seattle is one of my favorite cities. Glad you enjoyed it! I use mapmyrun.com or the hotel concierge to plan a safe running route when I’m away from home. It’s worked out great!

8. I haven’t been to Seattle since I was a child but I hear it has great restaurants and is a great city to run in. Looks like a fun trip

9. Jamie says:

I try to get up early to get my workout in before everyone else wakes up. That way I can stay connected and hang out with everyone for the rest of the day 🙂

10. cassi9879 says:

I’ve definitely wanted to see the flying fish but I dread the smell.

11. Seattle sounds really nice! And great job on keeping up on your running even while vacationing. 🙂

12. I’ve always wanted to visit Seattle! Generally I wind up on the hotel treadmill. I’m not always adventurous enough to find running routes in an unfamiliar city.

13. I’m going to Seattle 2 weeks before I run Chicago. I have a 12 mile run on the plan but I’m going to do it the day after we get home. I need my energy for walking around!

14. Glad you enjoyed Seattle! My best friend lives out there, and I just love going out to visit her. And awesome job still getting in your long run while traveling. That seems to be so, so hard for me to do (even though I bring my running shoes when I travel)

15. I’ll be in Seattle in November and, aside from the weather, I’m pretty excited about it.
    I’ll sometimes use trips as active rest (since I’m usually walking) or I’ll do my best to fit in a run if I’m with a friend.

16. You look great! How are you feeling?

Looks like a wonderful trip.

Training while traveling is tough. Depending on how long we are gone, I will run right before we leave and immediately after we get back, and hope I don’t have to pack my workout clothes in the interim. If it’s a new place, I will bring my running gear so I can take in the sights somewhere different.

17. I’m planning to run a lot on my trip to England to visit college friends in August. I’ll be there for the 3rd and 2nd weeks out from the Dumbo Double Dare, and will need to train. I think it will be a good way to explore London and the Lake District!

18. Will mark this for when i travel to Seattle.

19. Becki S says:

Sounds like you are still rockin’ your training even with all the life that keeps getting in the way. When I travel I try to schedule around it and maybe do a running tour of wherever I am. It’s so easy to say that I won’t stress about missing a work out but it’s always great to get home and back into a routine.

20. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 13 | From Dancing to Running