Running While Out of Town

I have always been a huge fan of traveling.  Whether its to the beach or a new to me city, I love exploring new places and enjoying all of the various cultures and scenes that this world has to offer.

This year alone, I’ve run in Cocoa Beach while there in March, and in rural Illinois in May the weekend of my sister’s college graduation.  I especially loved being able to start and finish a run back in March along the beach.  Since the beach is my happy place, I love any and every activity that has to do with the beach.

Preston and I on the beach in Cocoa Beach after finishing a morning run

Preston and I on the beach in Cocoa Beach after finishing a morning run

Tomorrow, Preston and I will be headed to Seattle for a long weekend.  The highlight of our trip will be the wedding of two of my college friends Friday evening.  Since neither Preston nor I have been to Seattle, we’re looking forward to a couple of days of sightseeing and exploring the city.  And of course, we’ll both be packing our running shoes so that we can run in Seattle.

Since we’re staying downtown, I’m looking forward to heading to the waterfront along Elliott Bay and running along the Elliott Bay Trail.  According to Google Maps, our hotel is less than three quarters of a mile from the waterfront and trail, which fits perfectly with my planned long run for the weekend since I have 5-6 miles on tap.  This will allow us to run to the trail and waterfront and run a couple of miles along the trail before turning around to head back to our hotel.

And since its Seattle, we’ll also have the chance to run in much cooler and less humid weather.  That alone is something worth celebrating after the days of heat and humidity that we’ve had here in the DC area.  Hopefully that means I’ll arrive back at the hotel less drenched in sweat than I have been lately.

QOTD: When you’re out of town, do you stick to running on a hotel treadmill or do you explore the city you’re in during a run?

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Running While Out of Town

1. I think I vacation to run and eat! Always look for a race or a route when out of town. Actually will be the DC area this weekend so I will be hitting the pavement!

I love to run while traveling! I just love taking in the new scenery — especially when I’m at the beach or my other favorite place: Walt Disney World. Sometimes I am forced to use the hotel treadmill, but as a last resort. Have fun in Seattle!

Fun!! Hope y’all have a great time!! 🙂

4. I love running in new places! I’m going to Seattle in September, and I will definitely check out that trail!

5. I love running while traveling and often try to find a race to do in a new city so I am sure to get my butt up and do it. Have a fun trip!

6. Running is the best way to explore new cities! I’ve had the pleasure of running in Paris and Florance, Italy, and I’ll never forget it. Running in Seattle should be so much fun (and I hear you on the cooler weather)!

7. Sweaty Mess says:

I love to run in new places. I go to Cleveland frequently for work and have a nice residential area to run in. Just last night I joined in with a local running store’s track night. I hate hotel gyms and only use them in the winter.

8. Have a great trip! I LOVE running in new cities! No treadmill for me! I wanna explore!

Hope you have a great time in Seattle! It’s a fun city to visit. And I’m sure their weather will be better for running than ours right now 🙂

10. My best Travelrun (i.e. not a race, just running while on holiday) was in Kyoto, Japan last December. Filled with nostalgia! Barring terrible weather, I always try to get out and run in new cities!

It depends on the location and weather, but I loved getting on the running trail in Boston along the Charles.

12. I always head outside for a run – since I started running 2+ years ago it’s how I got to know Berkeley, CA; Leesburg, VA; and Winnepesaukee, NH. And Disney World property 🙂

13. My heart belongs on a beach! I’ll be running in Key West in a few weeks and cannot wait. Give me the heat any day!

14. Jamie says:

If possible, I try my best to explore outside. I use my phone a lot to help guide me, but if I can find a river or running path to run along I will usually stick to that. No better way to see a new city! Have a fabulous weekend!!

15. thebarbella says:

Great post. I love exploring wherever I am! I’ve actually done a running tour of a few of the places I’ve visited and that’s always great to get photos and get your sweat on. Have a great time at the wedding.

16. I love using running to explore new places! Have fun in Seattle!

17. always explore the city by running feet!!!! 🙂 when I travel it’s generally not in a bad weather time period or to a warm weather city so the chances of being able to run there are definitely greater! Enjoy Seattle. I’m looking to get there in November.

18. kristenk says:

Ooooh have fun running in Seattle! I was there at the end of June and ran on the waterfront trail in the Botanical Garden. You get to run across the water to these little islands, and then run on the canal path! But I’ve run downtown before and the views are awesome – just remember that there are so many giant hills!

19. I love running when I travel! Depending on where I am, I will hit the streets. I also tend to get lost haha

20. Liz says:

Running is my favorite way to get to know a new city! It was the first thing I did when I first visited Seattle. Volunteer Park in Cap Hill and Green Lake are both nice spots too!

Awesome! I hope you have a great time in Seattle. I always have the kids when I travel so it makes it difficult to explore the places that I’m in with them!! When I’m alone? You bet I’ll be running to explore!

22. cprior2 says:

It all depends on how I feel, what my day was like, the weather and what city I am in. I try and get outside when I can.

23. I absolutely love running while out of town! It’s the best way to see a new place! Seattle is beautiful, I hope you get decent weather! The waterfront is great because it’s the flattest place to run, but if you like hills, all you have to do is turn any direction towards the city and you’ll get quite the workout! Have fun!!!!

24. I always prefer a run out in a new place opposed to a treadmill. I’ve been to Seattle several times but never took the opportunity to run there (lots of hills where we were)! Don’t forget to check out the Space needle! Have fun!

25. Ariana says:

I hope you have an amazing time in Seattle! I am definitely more of an explorer when it comes to running on vacation. I think it’s a great way to explore your surroundings! I spent some time in Maui in May and it was so wonderful to wake up bright and early and head out for a run along the beach!

26. Have fun running in Seattle!
    I love exploring vacation spots through runs and walks.

27. I love to run on vacation-I try and get out if I can because it is such a great way to explore an area. I will be in Tampa in Sept for work and can’t wait to run on the beach there

28. I pretty much always run outside while I’m traveling. Have fun in Seattle. I’ll be there in August and can’t wait!

29. GiselleR says:

On the rare occasion that I do head out of town (I’m not much of a traveller) I prefer to head outside and sightsee. But if it’s somewhere really hot, I usually keep my workouts indoors.

30. Loved your running pics from this past weekend! Can’t wait to hear about it 🙂 Must have been nice to run in a less humid location. I am hoping to get some nice runs in while I am in Vancouver and Alaska in a couple of weeks 🙂