Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

This past week can be summed up as long and exhausting, but super fun and exciting.  Although the beginning of the summer was on the quieter side in terms of social events for Preston and I, our social calendar for the second half of the summer is going to more than make up for it, and this past week was the start of all of the fun.  Having a busy calendar makes me very appreciative of the flexibility that 18 week half marathon training plans offer, especially when it comes to the scheduling of my long runs, since I barely had time to fit in a 4 mile long run this past weekend.

The excitement this past week centered around my friend Jen’s bridal weekend.  I spent a couple of afternoons after work last week running bridal shower related errands (I co-hosted her shower with two of the other bridesmaids), and then spent Saturday morning and early afternoon decorating and food prepping before the 3pm shower.  Since most of Jen’s bridesmaids are from out of town, we  decided it would be best to have her bridal shower and bachelorette party in the same weekend, so following the shower we headed downtown for an evening and night of bachelorette festivities.  By the time I made it home at 1am, this pregnant lady was beyond exhausted!

Highlights from Jen's Bridal Weekend. She's going to make an absolutely gorgeous bride at her wedding in two and a half weeks!

Highlights from Jen’s Bridal Weekend. She’s going to make an absolutely gorgeous bride at her wedding in two and a half weeks!

But the bridal weekend festivities didn’t stop there.  Yesterday we had a bridal brunch downtown.  After finally saying goodbye to everybody, I was finally home for the weekend just before 5pm.  I was exhausted, my feet hurt from wearing heels for as long as I did on Saturday, and I wanted to do nothing more than sit on the couch with my feet up.  I allowed myself to do so for about an hour before I finally dragged myself to the gym to complete my long run.  Not only was it a long weekend, but we were also under a heat advisory all weekend long due to temps that hit close to 100 degrees, and a feel like temperature much higher than that.  Thankfully, the A/C at the gym was working well, and I didn’t overheat during my 4 mile run yesterday.

4 miles

I know that this past week was just the start of a our busy social calendar, and that there will be lots of temptation to want to skip my planned runs.  I just need to keep reminding myself that getting my runs in, even if at a slightly slower pace or a slightly shorter distance, is better than skipping my runs altogether.

Mon 7/13 – Rest day

Tues 7/14 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.37 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms, shoulders

Wed 7/15 – 2.19 mile walk with Riley

Thurs 7/16 – 3.25 mile run, 0.51 mile cool down walk

Fri 7/17 – Rest day

Sat 7/18 – “Rest day” aka Bridal Weekend Day 1

Sun 7/19 – 4.00 mile run on the treadmill, 0.51 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 13.93 miles (6.62 miles less than week 10)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 161.52 miles

QOTD: How do you balance a busy social schedule with your training plan?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11

1. I try to take it one day at a time though prepping for the next day: hydrating, clothing for my runs, planning when I can fit it in either in the morning, lunch or evening after the girls go to bed.

2. This race is happening! I remember when it didn’t even seem like it was in the distant future, and now…. it’s only 48 days away! Ack!

I just get up super early and go for it. The last few weeks have been so hectic, but I make myself be flexible, nail down a day for long runs and then work everything out around it. So far, so good! Keep it up!

3. Good job making your long run happen despite the busy weekend! That’ll get harder and harder to do as you progress through your pregnancy, but keep it up as much as you can (as long as it’s safe for you and baby)!

If I know I have a lot going on, I try to run in the morning. That way, I have it out of the way and it doesn’t conflict with anything else going on

Great job making it to the gym after such a busy weekend! You’re absolutely right that it’s better to get in something, no matter how slow or whether it’s a bit short. I’ve already adjusted some elements on my training plan for weekends I know are going to be busy so that the runs aren’t as long those weekends.

5. sounds like a fun weekend. it’s been go go go (in fact i’m out of town right now) for me as well. way to still get in your run!

6. Fun weekend!! I too have an active social calendar remainder of summer. Luckily most of my travel is up north where the weather is slightly better than here so getting my runs in is more enticing!! You’re looking good 🙂

7. Elle says:

Looks like a great time with all your friends and good to get your runs in. It can be really hard and balance is the key… obviously you are finding it!

8. I think giving yourself enough time is key – I know that if I sign up for a big race and won’t really have time to spread out training, I need to focus more in the weeks leading up to it, but I definitely prefer being able to spread it out!

And it sounds like an awesome weekend and it’s great you got to be there for your friend even though it was exhausting – my BFF is about 6 months along now, and she and her husband had a trip to Europe they couldn’t cancel, so they went and had an amazing time, but she said her feet are now almost a full size bigger from being swollen after walking with her “little carry-on” as we refer to him!

9. What a fun wkend, a Bridal shower and Bachelorette party I’m sure kept you pretty busy. It’s hard sometime to find a balance when there are so many events going on but still trying to fit in your workouts.

This is the time of year I do end up skipping workouts because it is so hot. I can’t imagine training for an early fall/late summer half when I would have to get those runs in. Plus after such a busy and fun weekend, I would be so tempted to just stay on the couch.

11. Jamie says:

Awesome week of training! I always end up getting up super early to make sure I get my workout in. Although it can sometimes seem crazy, I know I enjoy my time with friends and family more if I am able to already have finished my workout. Hope you have a fabulous day!

12. Way to get those runs in despite the busy weekend!

13. Glad you were able to fit in your long run!

14. Becki S says:

Looks like you got alot worked in. Have a bridal shower I’m hosting this weekend, tis the wedding season!

15. Doing bridal stuff is always so much fun ! Almost as much fun as baby stuff 🙂

16. I am so impressed with your running while carrying your little passenger! Great work!

17. Well done! Balancing life and training is no easy task. I think one thing I’ve come to realize is that “balance” isn’t the goal. It may even be a crutch we hide behind. Its a word we use all the time to describe juggling our priorities in life with our distractions. Its a word we use to defend why we stay comfortable and passive instead of taking big risks to chase our dreams. I suck at balancing training with the distractions of life because I’ve not been taking control of my time and my plans. So that’s my new goal – to TAKE CONTROL and find “balance” by removing distractions. Now let me step off my soapbox. 😉

18. elenasonnino says:

Looks like you did a lot! The only way I am successful with balancing is to get up very early in the morning and make sure that I get a workout (sometimes shortened) in no matter what.

19. briwifruit says:

Sounds like we have similar weekends lately! I’ve been trying to fit bridal showers, weddings and long training runs in too 🙂 Looks like it’s busy but fun for you too!

I try not to stress too much about it. I think I’ve come to the point in my training where I’ve accepted the fact that if I miss a run, it’s OK. Great job mama!

21. Looks like you had a fun weekend! It is hard to keep training up when we have events planned. A little is better than none!!!

22. Social schedule? What’s that? 😉 Between kids, balancing two careers that I love, and training, I feel like there is no time for a social life. I suppose I should try and MAKE the time!

Nice job on getting to the gym even though you were exhausted. Probably felt great afterwards. Looks like you all had so much fun at the shower/bridal festivities 🙂

24. it always is great when a weekend has tons of fun and you can get your workouts in. this weekend is my boyfriend’s birthday so I am trying to get in my 11 mile run before the fun starts

25. jillconyers says:

Balance the very best you can and don’t worry so much about when you can’t. Sometimes easier said than done, right. WTG getting your workouts in!

26. GiselleR says:

I have such a hard time balancing life and working out, especially in the summer. It’s something that I have to work at constantly, or my fitness suffers.

27. Balancing is hard for me, because I just don’t do morning running. People always say do it in the AM so then if your day is busy it doesn’t matter. I’m on vacation right now and my desire to run each day is close to zero!

28. Sounds like a fun weekend! I try to build in a bit of extra time in the training plan for weeks that don’t go as planned. I also sit down at the beginning of each week and figure out where all my runs are going to fit. This particular plan has been a bit more difficult for that, but I’m doing ok with it.

29. Lara Lynne says:

Looks like you had an amazing week! Everyone is running, I must mean that it’s time for me to put my running shoes back on!

30. Pingback: Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12 | From Dancing to Running