Friday Five – Favorite Races and Medals

Its always fun to sit in our office and look up at our medal display, which we put together last fall.  As I look at our medal display, I think back on many wonderful memories of incredible achievements at past races.  My medals remind of the races that I earned them at, as well as a variety of different memories and feelings associated with each of them.  Some of my favorite races and medals include:

1.  2015 Manassas Runway 10k

manassas10k

I ran this race at 5.5 weeks pregnant.  Despite having PRed the day before at the Jaguar 5k, I also PRed while running on the runway.  Its incredible that I was able to accomplish as much in one weekend as I did while so early in my pregnancy.

2.  2014 Christmas Town Dash 8k

CTD finish

This race was so much fun for so many reasons.  Not only was it a Christmas themed race, but I got to run through Busch Gardens Williamsburg and see the park decked out in Christmas decor.  It was a great way to kick off our Christmas celebrations last year.

3.  2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

post rnrvb

This race combined some of my favorite things: summer, the beach, and of course running.  Although it was very hot and humid the morning of this race, the weather didn’t put a damper on my spirit as I pushed myself towards a then PR.  And there was no greater way to celebrate than with my feet in the sand.  I can’t wait to run this race again in just seven weeks!

4.  2015 Shamrock Half Marathon

post shamrock half

This was a race that after getting into a major car accident less than two months prior to race day I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to run.  Little did I know that perseverance and hard work would pay off, and that despite physical pain that I endured during the race I was still able to PR on race day.  Shamrock, and the entire Dolphin Challenge, was an experience that I’ll never forget.

5.  2014 Disney World Half Marathon

IMG_1391

You didn’t think that I would leave my first half marathon off of my top five list, did you?  Words cannot describe the emotions that I felt after I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon.  I’m beyond thankful that Preston ran the race with me, as it made it that much more meaningful to cross the finish line holding his hand.  I cannot wait to run another race at the place where I ran my first half marathon.

QOTD: What is your favorite race medal?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Friday Five – Favorite Races and Medals

1. Sabrina Alexandra says:

My favorite medal is the Tower of Terror 10 miler medal I earned in 2012. I accomplished something I never thought I would.

2. I’d love to do the christmas dash at Busch gardens some day!

Shamrock is a great course to PR on, congrats again!

Of course my Disney medals will rank right up there as my favorites!

Hmmm tough question, my favorite medal from this year would prob be the Love Run Philly b/c of the PR 🙂 Shamrock is a close second (we received so many that weekend haha). All time… I’ll have to re-evaluate at the end of this year 😀

4. I want to run Shamrock and Virginia Beach Half one day! My favorite medal is my Disney Marathon 20th anniversary spinner medal! LOVE it!!!

Such great memories associated with those medals! Richmond is probably my favorite by virtue of it being my first half 🙂

My favorite is my first, Princess half 2012. It’s the funnest I’ve had and I had no expectations since it was my first one.

7. Janine @travelrunlive says:

My favorite medal is my one and only half marathon medal from the NYC half. It looks like you ran some really fun races, especially the christmas themed race. Have a great weekend!

8. My favorite medals are from my first half (NYC 2014) and from the Disney Half in 2015. One because it was my first half, the other because I just loved the race and the Donald medal! I have a feeling my new favorite will be my Dumbo medal come September…

9. Jamie says:

Boston is my favorite race medal, but I would have to say one of the local track clubs 10K is my favorite race. It was the first time I ever felt like I had run a race smartly, the first time I ever was the first female, and they have all these homemade goodies as post-race treats : ) Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

10. So happy to see Disney made your list :). My favorite medal is from the Rocky Balboa 5k. It’s HUGE and it was also my mom’s first race, so it has a special meaning.

11. Tricia says:

I can so relate to your Shamrock race. I had an accident with my RV steps just before I was set to do a half. I know your pain and I too finished it!

12. I have 2 St Patrick’s Day races I love to run each year, but only one gives out a medal at the end. I would have to say my favorite medal right now is the one from my first Half Marathon in May. Love your bling!

13. ilkasblog says:

The Virginia Beach Half Marathon looks so fun! My favorite medal Is Boston’s Run to Remember. a) because it was my first and b) the race itself and course is so fun!

14. TheRnR medals are some of my faves too! I did Vegas 2 years ago it’s a keeper and glows in the dark 🙂

15. Great list! I l would love to Shamrock someday as I’ve heard only good things–I also REALLY want to do a Disney race someday 🙂 So many good races!!!

16. runsaltrun says:

AWESOME medals. I love the ones from Shamrock. I definitely want to do that one within the next couple years. I am the biggest fan of the BRF medals. Gotta love any medal with a happy crab on it!

17. I love my first Marine Corps Marathon medal. It was at the beginning of my running career and I had no idea how many half marathons and marathons I’d run later.

18. so fun! i love a good medal! have a great weekend!

19. John @ run. geek. run(disney) says:

Very cool list. I love the shirts from the Manassas race as well. It’s a comfy one. Though I have to say it’s really funny, because I was at both of the first two races you were at too!. The christmas ornament aspect of the Williamsburg Race is pretty cool, not that I put it on the tree. Needs to go with it’s medal siblings.

20. You’ve got some serious bling girl! I’d love to do the Disneyworld Half!

21. GinaB says:

That is some major bling and awesome memories you have collected. You must feel amazing!

My favorite race medal is definitely Marine Corp Marathon. The Paris medal I thought was kind of boring but it’s PARIS, so definitely one of my favs!

23. What a fun post! Years ago when I first started running, I ran #3, 4, & 5. Now that I’m back down South again (SC) I think I want to head up to VA to do #3 & 4 again!

24. HoHo Runs says:

My first two half marathons were at Disney World. I love those medals and even had them engraved.

25. jillconyers says:

My favorite will always be my first race ever which was a half marathon in Northern CA.

26. The Rock n roll VB from last year is pretty awesome, but my favorite with be last years NYC Marathon!

27. Im glad i found your blog! My favorite medal is my chicago medal – it has the Chicago skyline on it!

28. Pingback: My Favorite Friday Five Posts | From Dancing to Running