Friday Five – Five Things That I’m Missing Now That I’m Pregnant

There are so many wonderful things about being pregnant, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t days when I long to be able to eat, drink, or do things that I could prior to being pregnant.  I know that my ability to not enjoy these things is only temporary, and on the days that I miss certain things I remind myself that the short term sacrifice that I’m making will without question be worth it in the long run.

So what am I currently missing?

1.  Sushi

sushi

If you have been following me on Instagram for awhile now, it should be no surprise that I’m a huge fan of sushi, and this is the number one food that I’ve been missing now that I’m pregnant.  Preston has already promised that once we’re home from the hospital that take out sushi will be one of my first meals at home.

2.  Wine

I was doing really well with not missing wine until last week when the glass of wine that Preston was drinking smelled really good.  The buttery smell of the Chardonnay in his wine glass made me long for a glass of wine myself.  And although there are mixed ideas on whether or not a glass of wine here and there is safe for baby, we’ve decided to err on the side of caution and I won’t be drinking any wine while pregnant.

3.  Deli Meat

Although I’m not a huge sandwich fan, one of my favorite quick and easy meals is a chef salad with deli meat on the top of it.  Just as there is with wine, there’s mixed ideas on whether or not deli meat is safe for baby, but again, we’ve decided that its best to not take the risk so I won’t be making any chef salads with deli meat until after the baby is born.

4.  My regular clothes

Although some of my regular clothes still fit, each week as my belly starts to grow more I’m realizing that more of my regular clothes either don’t fit or just aren’t comfortable anymore.  Although clothes shopping is generally fun, shopping for maternity clothes is anything but fun, partly because I’m petite on top and petite maternity clothes are pretty much nonexistent.  I either walk into a fitting room at a store with my arms full of clothes to try on, or order a bundle of clothes online, and wind up only keeping one or two items most of the time.

5.  Amusement Park Rides

Selfies and phone calls on Tower of Terror during our family vacation at Disney World last December

Okay, this isn’t something I’m exactly missing yet, but I know that when we’re at Disney World next month I’ll be wishing that I could go on some of my favorite rides, like Space Mountain and Tower of Terror.  Thankfully, I’ll still be able to enjoy some of my other favorites, including Soarin’ and Its a Small World.

QOTD: For those of you who have carried a baby, what did you miss most while pregnant?  For those of you who haven’t carried a baby, what do you think you would miss most while pregnant?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Pregnancy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Friday Five – Five Things That I’m Missing Now That I’m Pregnant

I also erred on the side of caution and skipped anything that was considered a possible risk to the baby. Of course my pregnancy was so long ago that I do not remember what I missed most, but it probably was chocolate!

2. I couldn’t eat chocolate when I was pregnant…it gave me terrible heartburn! I missed wine a lot less than I thought I would. And I couldn’t run…I was so tired!

OMG that ToT picture has me cracking up! SO funny!!

4. ah yes the things we sacrifice!I never got my desire for drinking back after having kids. Have a great weekend

5. I’m very much missing Mr Whippy ice cream! Heard mixed things about it so have decided to stay away as advised by midwife but in this weather I loved a Mr Whippy ice cream!!

6. I think I will end up missing sushi and probably have the same clothing issues as you, being really petite especially on top. And I have no idea how it will affect running, of course! But it’ll all be worth it for you, and someday I hope for me 🙂

Love that photo on the ride! And I know it’s not the same as being able to enjoy the wine but there are some great books out there with fun mocktail recipes 🙂 We had a couple fun mocktail parties with friends when they were pregnant.

I hadn’t heard that about deli meat, and I eat that every day. I know I would miss wine a lot, just the ability to have one glass with a special meal.

9. I rode Soarin’ while pregnant. It may make you slightly queasy (as it did for me), but it is fun 🙂

I really missed wine while pregnant. If Joe was drinking wine and I was really jealous, I’d ask if I could smell it. That usually helped me with that!

10. Back when I was pregnant, long, long ago (my youngest is 34!), there weren’t the restrictions that there are now. Fortunately, I didn’t care for the taste of wine or other alcohol back then, so I never drank.

11. Glad you are taking precautions!

I would not miss sushi nor wine but the clothes thing would bum me out for sure. It’s hard enough shopping for clothes anyway. I hope you find enough comfortable well fitting outfits to get you through!

Love that family photo!

12. Jamie says:

I will 100% miss sleeping on my stomach. I like to starfish across my bed at night face down and I suppose that might be somewhat tricky with a big belly 🙂

13. It will DEFINITELY be worth the short-term sacrifice! I gotta say, though, at the risk of sounding like some kind of alcoholic…I know I will DEFINITELY have an issue with not drinking wine when my time comes, haha. There are definitely lots of awesome attractions you’ll still be able to enjoy in Disney! LOVE the ToT photo, BTW…too funny!

14. LOVE that ToT picture! So funny!!! The sacrifices will be so worth it when you hold that little bundle of joy in your arms the first time!!!

Hehe Kathleen nailed it with the sushi! Are you having any food aversions?

16. First off, that Tower of Terror picture is amazing! haha!
    Secondly, I haven’t been pregnant, but I think I’d be with you on missing sushi and wine!

17. Jenereesa @ ScootaDoot says:

Congrats on your pregnancy! When I was pregnant with my second I told my husband that once the kiddo was out, I wanted a deli sandwich, which didn’t happen because he was born at 1:28 am! But I missed deli meats (and that’s weird because I don’t eat it much now) and sushi like you wouldn’t believe. Or maybe you would! 😉

18. ilkasblog says:

1) I was craving Deli meats like Turkey and Roast Beef and of course I couldn’t have them. 2) Sushi was another big craving and a big No-No! 3) I missed my regular clothes and 4) I missed using certain facial washes that I liked but were not great choices while being pregnant. 5) Sleeping on my stomach! But when you hold your beautiful Baby in your arms for the first time you will know these were all tiny little nothing sacrifices.

19. GiselleR says:

I’ve never actually thought about this before, but I think I’d miss my bladder the most. I would hate having to go pee all the time lol

20. perfectlyfitt says:

I definitely missed deli meat! Honestly I don’t even love it all that much but the fact that I COULDN’T have it made me miss, that probably goes for everything we “can’t” have while I was pregnant. 😉

21. that tot pic is the best. i think i’d miss wine the most. i can barely make it through the bachelorette w/out a glass or two 🙂

22. I definitely missed the wine, but I must admit, I did have a glass or two during the third trimester once I knew everything was developed and all they needed to do was get bigger. I also ate deli meat, but I put it in the microwave to heat up and kill any bad bacteria.

23. jillconyers says:

I missed sushi and coffee. Sushi may be the food I missed the most.

24. I don’t remember missing out on much when I was pregnant.. I think the main time was when we visited a brewery for dinner and my husband had all these samplers to enjoy and I could only smell them. 🙂

25. Juliana says:

I have never been pregnant but I think my list would be similar to yours but I would be swamping sushi for coffee. These have actually been something I have discussed before. one of my friends is currently trying to pregnant but with tailgating session coming up, if she isn’t drinking alcohol, we will all be suspecting something so she may have a hard time hiding the pregnancy! and also theme park rides-this is something else that has come up because whenever i do decide to get pregnant, we go to disneyland so much with my friends, it will also be hard to hide!

26. tonee78 says:

I missed wine, sushi and raw oysters, oysters was the worst cause I was pregnant throughout the oyster season here! Just think how great all those things will be once the baby is here!

27. I missed margaritas so much! Haha! I did eat deli meat (as long as it was fresh and from a reputable source, per my Dr.), it was one thing I could stomach during the first trimester. I missed my clothes a lot too, but I had some really cute maternity stuff so that helped!

28. Sanibel says:

At 26 weeks pregnant I am missing my wine as well! I have had a total of three small glasses though. I am with you on the maternity clothes. I am also petite and there aren’t a lot of options for girls our size:(

29. Pingback: Friday Five – Five More Things I’m Missing While Pregnant | From Dancing to Running