15 in 2015 Update

Its hard to believe that today is the last day of June.  This year is just flying by!  With this being the halfway point of the year, I wanted to take time to reflect on my big goal for 2015: to cross the finish line of 15 races this year.

Now that I’ve completed eight races, I’m officially just over halfway to reaching my goal.  The eight races that I’ve completed this year are:

St. Patrick’s Day Double (5k followed by 10k)
Shamrock 8k
Shamrock Half Marathon
Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
Jaguar 5k
Manassas Runway 10k
Fit Foodie 5k

And if you count the Bad Ass Runner Virtual 5 Miler, then I’ve actually completed nine races so far this year.  However, my goal was never to use virtual races as a way to complete my 15 in 2015, so I don’t want to count that race, at least not yet.

Some of you might be wondering if my pregnancy is cause for me to alter this goal, or to neglect it altogether.  Just because I’m pregnant doesn’t mean that I’m not still going after my goal!

I'm still running and sweating for two of us!

I’m still running and sweating for two of us!

I’m currently registered for another three races:

July 4th – Firecracker 5k
September 6th – Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
October 31st – Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
(I’m also registered for Wine and Dine Half Marathon, but will be deferring this race to 2016.)

That leaves me with another four races to choose.  There are a number of races that I’m contemplating, all shorter distances, as I think that completing two more half marathons while pregnant is more than enough for my pregnant body to handle.

The other races that I’m considering include:

September 5th – Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Mile on the Sand
September 19th – Dulles Day 10k
September 26th – Clarendon Day 10k
November 8th – Veteran’s Day 5k

If I complete all four of the above races, then I’ll complete my 15 in 2015 goal.  However, as I continue to do on a regular basis, I’ll be continuously evaluating how my body is handling working out and whether adjustments need to be made.  My health and the baby’s health are more important than completing this goal, and if I need to take a step back from running then that’s exactly what I’ll do.

Here’s to a great second half to 2015!

QOTD: How are you progressing in meeting your yearly goal(s)?

I’m linking up today with Erika from MCM Mama Runs, Patty from My No-Guilt Life, and April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere for the Tuesdays on the Run Linkup.  Be sure to check out their posts as well!

Tuesdays-on-the-run

This entry was posted in Motivation, Races and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to 15 in 2015 Update

Thanks for sharing the Dulles 5K/10K dates 🙂 Now I’ll need to ask Cliff if he is interested in that one hehe. I’ll prob sign up for the Clarendon double as part of my long run that weekend.

2. My goals for running are to complete the Dumbo Double Dare in style and make that three halfs this year without injury (really, that is the biggest) and to finish up my 9 races with NYRR to get into next year’s marathon. I am six races in, so on the way!

3. I love that you are willing to rearrange your goals if your body tells you to! I also love that you are going after those goals even while pregnant! I hope your body allows you to complete your 15 races girl!!!

4. Great job! my runs have cut back a ton since it’s so hot down here, but I plan to ramp up the miles again come September.

Great job on the goal so far and the plan for completing it during the rest of the year sounds great. That makes sense to plan for the shorter distance races and then listen to your body to plan accordingly. I’m on track for my 15 in 2015 too.

Great job and keep it going! My goals are just to keep building and listen to my legs as much as possible. That’s the hard part because my competitive side has won out a lot in the past. I have to listen to common sense more.

7. The mile on the sand was a lot of fun last year but it was definitely a challenge! You should try to do that one if you can! (a lot of people were walking it too).

8. Jamie says:

I’m focusing on staying injury free which has been going quite well lately! Knock on wood. I love the goal of 15 races in the year, I think it’s totally attainable. But Mile on the Sand.. omg I think I would fall over if I tried to run on the beach haha. Hope you have a great day!

9. I’m actually hitting some of my 2015 goals… marathon, workouts, going to Vancouver, surfing more… just need to lose weight and run that 1:45!

10. I love it! So many races and still going for your goal. Nice!

11. Injury free is how I hope to end the year! You were pretty busy so far and it looks like it won’t slow down too much either!

12. Come do Clarendon Day – I’ll be there and it’s always super fun!

13. I’d have to pull out my calendar to see how many races I’ll be completing in 2015. It’s probably close to 15, but maybe not quite there.

14. My goals were pretty non-existent this year. I didn’t want the stress of trying to get a bunch of stuff done. Instead I’m making small goals as I go and it’s been so much more enjoyable.

15. LOVE that you’re not using pregnancy as an excuse! Active mama = healthy, happy baby 🙂 Keep it up!!

16. Becki says:

You’re doing fabulous on your goals. And I love how active you’ve been while pregnant. Inspiring to someone who isn’t sure how I’ll juggle it all. My goals are a moving along, but they are all strength training based and I haven’t hit any of my goal numbers ( back squat, deadlift, etc).

17. you are doing great on your goal! and you are such an inspiration for being so active while pregnant!

18. You have a lot of great races on the horizon! I just started marathon training and I am excited about the cycle ahead. I love that you are still out there making it happen even during your pregnancy. All the best to you!

19. You can definitely still meet your goal! I was running up until 7.5 months pregnant, but definitely see how you are feeling!

20. d20girl says:

Sounds like you’ve got a well balanced approach to your goals! Good luck and thanks for linking up with us today!

21. Do you count those virtual races as “real” races? I ran a virtual half this month and while it wasn’t official, it’s recorded on my Garmin, so I’m counting it!

Nice job with your races Kathryn. I have cut back alot on the number of races I am running this year, but mainly because I am doing 2 marathons. Those take so much effort that I tend to race less when I am in training for those.

23. Lara Lynne says:

That’s awesome that you are staying active during your pregnancy!

24. hollie says:

This is awesome! I love a fitmomma working out through her pregnancy! Way to go! I ran through both of my pregnancies and it helped so much with postpartum. Keep it up!

25. Nic Akins says:

Good luck with all your upcoming events. I hear that the Virginia RnR marathon is awesome! Have fun! Nic-

26. Jessica says:

You are such an inspiration! Love following your blog because it makes me want to get up and run!

27. You. Are. Awesome! Love seeing you roll with the punches and still reach for your goals.

28. GiselleR says:

WOW that’s a lot of races. I haven’t crossed the finish line of a single race since last summer. Good luck with your goal!

29. tonee78 says:

Good for you to keeping to your goals even though you could totally back out thanks to your impending bundle of joy. Just listen to your body and you will do great.

30. Great job keeping up with your goals! If you decide to run the Clarendon Day races, let me know. I run it anytime we don’t have to be at a soccer field at the same time…

31. jillconyers says:

For the first time in forever I didn’t really have fitness goals. I’ve been thinking about how I feel about that lately and whether or not I will do it again next year. WTG with rocking your 15 in 2015!

32. Pingback: Friday Five – Five Things I’m Looking Forward to About the Clarendon Day 10k | From Dancing to Running