Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training – Week 6

I’m so happy to report that I had yet another successful and productive week of training this past week.  Despite the high heat and humidity, including a couple of days that included Air Quality Alerts from the National Weather Service, I refused to use the heat and humidity as an excuse for getting my workouts in.

On Saturday I had yet another super hot and quite humid long run.  For the past couple of weeks its been close to 100% humidity early in the morning.  Sadly, as the humidity has gone down throughout the morning, the temperature has gone up.  Because I find it quite difficult to breathe while running in 100% humidity, I’ve been opting to delay my weekend long runs until mid morning.  Although its already been in the low to mid 80s when I’ve left the house for my run, the slightly lower humidity has made it so much easier to breathe while running.  I know that this approach doesn’t work for everybody, but it seems to be what’s working best for me.

I’m so proud of the fact that this week’s long run was a mile longer than last week’s and that I ran at a pace that was 14 sec/mile faster than last week’s long run.  I felt so accomplished when I finished my seven mile run Saturday morning!

7.02 mile run

Despite how productive this past week was, I know that this week is going to be a challenge.  Its the last full week of school, and on top of that graduation doesn’t start until 4:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, which is going to make for a very long day on Wednesday.  But I’m going to put my best foot forward this week, and try to be as successful with my training as I was this past week.

Mon 6/8 – Rest day

Tues 6/9 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.38 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs

Wed 6/10 – 1.96 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Thurs 6/11 – 3.15 mile run on the treadmill, 0.37 mile cool down walk, glutes, abs, arms

Fri 6/12 – Rest day

Sat 6/13 – 7.02 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.55 mile cool down walk

Sun 6/14 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 16.53 miles (1.98 miles less than week 5)

Total RnRVB Mileage – 82.00 miles

QOTD: Do you prefer to run in 100% humidity, or with the temperature warmer than cooler?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training – Week 6

1. Like anything, you learn to adapt when you don’t have a choice. Like the heat AND humidity in south FL ALL the time. Like you though, I’ll take the heat over feeling like there’s an elephant sitting on my chest any day!

2. I hate humidity as it always messes with my training so I am hoping to move out West one of these days!

3. Jamie says:

Awesome week of training! Congrats on getting through a pretty brutal week weather wise. Running in the heat and humidity is never fun. I would much rather run in heat than in humidity, I just can’t stand being drenched in sweat. Hope you have a fabulous start to your week!

Wow, great job getting those runs in! Last week was definitely challenging 🙂

5. Awesome work! I am supposed to bump up to 7 this week, and I am hoping to get to run a different route to make it slightly more tolerable. We shall see.

I don’t love the heat and humidity, but it’s kind of a given where I live, so I deal with it as best I can. It makes cool weather running that much sweeter.

Right now the humidity is making me sweat more. I may put off heading to the gym to let their air system boot up. Saturday I was sweating like crazy because I was there right when they opened and the air system is offline when the gym is closed.

7. Tobbe says:

Hey there, nice blog you got here!. I prefer to run when it’s cold and even better if it’s raining on the summer because its easier to breath then 🙂

8. OrganicallyMo says:

I can’t even imagine what 100% humidity would feel like. You are a rock star!

9. Woohoo! Way to go! Idk about 100% humidity – that sounds rough.

10. bisto84 says:

Great job! I would love to run Virginia. I live in AZ so we’re a dry heat most of the time, but it gets so hot when it’s straight sun and 110 that I am so slow.

11. runsaltrun says:

Seriously the mornings have almost been worse than later on in the day!! This weather is already insane. You had such a great week though! 🙂 Good luck with everything this week and I’ll see you on Friday!!

12. I’m a heat girl. Don’t mind it but would not do well with added humidity.
    Great week and have soooo much fun this weekend–I’m jealous!! 😀

13. Thank you for making me feel so much better about running my virtual half in the 90% humidity yesterday. No, I don’t prefer it, but it had to be done and it was.

14. OmG this weather this week! Congrats on getting it all in this past weekend.

15. Shannon says:

Nice job getting it done! It’s been humid as heck here, but you seem to really have it pretty bad! I prefer to get my runs done early. In Florida, earlier is usually less intense heat-wise. But, this past weekend was pretty darn brutal already!

16. the weather this week has been interesting and it’s only mid-June! I’d rather run in warm weather vs humidity. It kills me. I’ll be doing a lot of treadmill runs this summer.

17. saturday was brutal. yuck, so humid – and we started at 6am. gross. good week, though!!

18. mkadens1 says:

Way to prevail over the heat! I cannot stand heat and humidity for training and it’s currently 90% humidity here. Blech.

19. jillconyers says:

I wouldn’t mind the humidity but my lungs say otherwise…asthma. Way to get it done!

I was very impressed with your long run this past weekend. I got off to a late start on Saturday, but it ended up a little cloudy for the second half of my run (I got lucky).

21. I think it’s awesome you’re finding ways to make it work. I have heard some have a harder time than others with humidity and I have also heard that sometimes you can over time get your body used to anything. I think you were smart to figure out which your body likes to run in more!
    Great job!

22. briwifruit says:

Sounds like a solid training week! I prefer summer running for sure, but have never experience that kind of humidity. It’s humid here but not that bad, as we tend to get cool air off the ocean.

23. katemovingforward1234 says:

Good luck with your training! Sounds like you’re doing a great job! I hate running in humidity, but sometimes running in more heat is worse. 😛 There’s always the treadmill for those days too.

24. I’m always so surprised at how long you guys go to school down there. I have a friend who teaches in NY and they go till the second to the last week in June! Good job with your runs. Trying to schedule runs around the weather can be tricky!

25. Uggh, the humidity is awful. It’s really a double edged sword for me. I have to deal with the humidity because I need to be back early for the kiddos!

26. carmyy says:

Way to go! I don’t like humidity… the constantly feeling of being sticky and tired is awful

27. tonee78 says:

Great job! RNR VB is usually sooo humid so training it is great practice. I am getting used to the humidity and running in it which is a good thing since I am moving to Tampa

28. humidity kills me. I could barely finish a 3 mile run yesterday because it was 85% humidity. I need it to be like, 60s. That is PERFECT running weather