Even though summer doesn’t officially start until June 21st, I think its safe to say that summer is definitely here. Most of us across the country are facing high heat and humidity, which requires an entirely different approach for running than let’s say running in the winter does.
Sunday’s 6 mile run was a reminder for me that summer is the time to slow down, focus on hydrating, and most importantly, pace myself. But what about some others tips for running during the summer?
1. Slow down, and don’t worry about pace or finish time. Just focus on getting to the finish line.
2. Take an extra rest day, especially if you’re feeling extra fatigued, your legs hurt, or you’re not mentally into the run. One extra rest day will not be detrimental to your training in the long run.
3. Run on the treadmill. When its too hot or the humidity is too thick to breathe in, take a break from running outside and head for someplace with AC.
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and I’m not talking about just drinking water. Make sure that you also refuel your body with electrolytes.
5. Get enough sleep. Your body can’t properly function without enough sleep.
6. Eat a balanced diet in order to ensure you’re getting the nutrients you need.
7. When the going gets tough, remember why you’re a runner.
QOTD: What tips do you have for summer running?
I’m linking up today with Erika from MCM Mama Runs, Patty from My No-Guilt Life, and April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere for the Tuesdays on the Run Linkup. Be sure to check out their posts as well!