Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

After a slow start to half marathon training, it feels good to have completed all of my planned workouts this past week.  It was another busy week at school (the end of the year is always crazy!), and we had a jam packed weekend (what summer weekends aren’t?), but it feels amazing to know that I still fit all of my workouts in!

The weather for much of the week was on the cooler side.  In fact on Tuesday it was cool enough to wear long sleeves during my run…in June!  I couldn’t believe it!

3.51 mile run

My long run on Sunday was anything but easy though.  You know that its summer when the heat and humidity start to slow you way down during your long runs.  That, on top of running on a hilly route, made for a much slower pace than what I’ve been used to seeing lately.  Preston ran with me, and he was struggling more than I was.  But we’re a team, and if one of us is struggling then we slow down to help motivate the other one to keep going.

6.02 mile run

On the non-fitness front, Preston and I had lots going on this past weekend.  With today being Preston’s birthday, we decided to celebrate early with dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants.  Clearly, the birthday boy enjoyed himself!

birthday drink

Yesterday Preston and I spent the afternoon and evening with my good friend, Linda, and her husband and daughter.  They live in Germany, and are currently in the country visiting friends and family.  Preston and I drove to Annapolis yesterday afternoon, and we enjoyed a great dinner at a fantastic place called Iron Rooster.  If you’re ever in Annapolis, and looking for a great breakfast (it doesn’t matter what time of day, as they serve breakfast all day long), I highly recommend this place.  Its in downtown Annapolis only about a block from the waterfront, so we also enjoyed walking around the harbor and along some of the downtown streets after dinner.  It was a gorgeous day, and silly me forgot to take any pictures of the scenery.  Oops!

This past weekend was one of those weekends that has me wishing that I had another day off from work.  Hopefully this week will fly by, both at work and on the fitness front, so that next weekend can quickly arrive!

Mon 6/1 – 1.81 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Tues 6/2 – 3.51 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.34 mile cool down walk

Wed 6/3 – 30 minutes on the elliptical, kettlebell squat swings, abs, arms

Thurs 6/4 – Rest day

Fri 6/5 – 3.10 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.39 mile cool down walk

Sat 6/6 – Rest day

Sun 6/7 – 6.02 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.32 mile cool down walk

Total Weekly Mileage – 18.51 miles (2.32 miles more than week 4)

Total RnRVB Training Mileage – 65.47 miles

QOTD: Did your weekend feel too short as well?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5

1. Looks like a great week of running! Summer heat sure makes it challenging!

2. Can’t believe you were wearing long sleeves in VA! I busted out the long sleeves last Monday in Connecticut, but was back in tank tops by my Sunday race. Of course, for me anything above 45 degrees means shorts 🙂

3. It’s great that you are getting back into the swing of training! And I would have to agree that the week felt short. In fact, they are seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I feel like it was just January.

4. the weather was perfect this past weekend! Training looks like it’s going well. Almost done with school 🙂

Sounds like you guys had a really fun weekend! It definitely felt too short. I had a bunch of stuff that needed to get done so that always makes the weekend feel like it flies by.

6. last week’s cooler weather was nice but slightly depressing. The weekend was simply beautiful though! Happy birthday to Preston!

Oh yes, way too short. I took it easy Saturday and it still feels like the weekend went by too fast. I also had a tough run Saturday because the heat’s come in with a vengeance.

8. Great week girl! I can’t believe you ran in long sleeves!!! Wow! Happy birthday to Preston! I hope your week goes by fast for you!

9. Jamie says:

Great week of training! Yes my weekend was far too short – they always are : ) The cooler/less humid weather was very welcomed over here. Hope you have a great Monday!

10. OrganicallyMo says:

This was actually the first weekend in awhile where I felt I had a good mix of work & relaxation! Glad you had a good weekend even if it seemed short. 🙂

11. mkadens1 says:

It’s been cool here too. But the heat rolled in yesterday. Happy Birthday to Preston!

12. Every single weekend is too short as far as I am concerned!

Great week + getting in your strength (KB….not my fave…but soo good). Happy Birthday to Preston. Ill have to check out Iron Rooster 🙂

14. Your weather cracks me up! It’s 91 here today!

15. Weekends always feel so short in the summer. The humidity is already outta control here. I am not looking forward to the heat and humidity as the summer continues. Its back to early early morning runs!

16. Summer running is so tough for me! The only marathon I did, I trained in the winter, lol. It seems like all my blogger friends are training for halfs, feeling the itch…

17. Happy birthday Preston! My weekend kind of felt long. Accomplished a lot. But it was hot.

I’ve been trying to get my hubby to take me down to Annapolis, thanks for the recommendation!!

19. Shoe twin!

So I pulled out five miles on Saturday, to kick off my RnR Va Beach training. You have inspired me to get this thing done!

This was our first weekend of summer vacation, so it was pretty fantastic – little man spent time at Camp Nana and Papa Bear, I had a couple of nights to myself and Mr PugRunner and my nephew got out for some fun stuff.

20. carmyy says:

Weekends always feel short! It seems like just yesterday it started ):

21. Glad to hear your training is getting on track. Some weeks it can be hard to fit it all in!!!

22. Happy birthday to Preston!! The humidity has been kililng me too! I have moved all of my runs to late at night, right before the sun goes down, because I just can’t take it! Hopefully I will start to adapt soon!

23. Jessica says:

Sounds like a fabulous weekend and cheers for getting back into it!

24. My weekend was way too short! I’m glad the weather was cooler there. I did get out there early because it started to get so hot around 7:45 a.m. I could barely breathe, but I survived! lol I love running/working out in long sleeves too! Happy Birthday, Preston! That’s my nephews name too! 🙂

25. jillconyers says:

It feels so good to have your workouts go as planned! Yes, the weekend felt short and the week is feeling so so long.

Have an awesome day Kathryn!

26. Looks like a great week! Hapy Birthday to Preston. The weekend always feels too short.