Friday Five – Five Things I Love About Running

This week’s Friday Five theme with the DC Trifecta is in honor of National Running Day.  On Wednesday, I wrote about the reasons why I run, and today I thought it would be fun to share what I love about running.

1.  Its a challenge, and I’m always pushing myself to push my boundaries and overcome hurdles to find further success.

With my half marathon and Dolphin Challenge medals

Shamrock Half Marathon was far from an easy race, but my PR was well worth celebrating post race!

2.  Its an individual sport, and I’m always in competition with myself.

Stats from an 8 mile run back in January. Not only was my average pace below 10:00 min/mile, but I successfully ran negative splits!

Stats from a 4 mile run back in January. Not only was my average pace below 10:00 min/mile, but I successfully ran negative splits!

3.  Even though its easy to compare my abilities to those of others, I try to focus on pushing myself and reaching my own goals.

After setting my 14 mile PDR on the treadmill back in March

After setting my 14 mile PDR on the treadmill back in March

4.  Running is exhilarating.

Running on the runway at Dulles Airport during the Dulles Day 10k last September

5.  Its great for both my physical and mental health.

why i run

QOTD: What do you love about running?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation, Why Run and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Friday Five – Five Things I Love About Running

1. I would have to agree with you on loving it for being an individual sport. I only have my self to judge against. BUT, I do love to friendships that can come from being a runner.

2. Amanda B. says:

Running is amazing! I agree, it’s hard not to compare yourself to others, but staying focused on your goals and pushing yourself is the best way to succeed!

3. I love to run…for all the reasons you posted!

4. yes absolutely! I run for the above and also for the social aspect it gives me

5. mkadens1 says:

Totally agree on all counts! Running is awesome!

I love that running is fun for me now and it’s my go to workout. That wasn’t always the case but my mentality changed after school sports and I can just enjoy my running.

All great reasons! I especially love the last one. I started running for my physical health but didn’t realize all the mental health benefits it would have too 🙂

8. I love how running makes me feel alive! And yes…I love that it’s a sport where I compete with myself. Running is GREAT!

9. sweatyandfit says:

loving all your pictures! so cute.
    i love to run because like you said, its an individual sport and you’re always challenging yourself. plus its nice to feel the sun on your face in the summer!!

10. alsoranagain says:

That pic of you at Dulles is so cute! That would be a lot of fun to run on an airport tarmac.

My favorite thing about running is how it makes me feel strong.

I love all aspects of running especially the group that I was fortunate to join after much trepidation.

12. Exhilarating is the exact word for how I feel when I’m on a long run and really getting into it, and nothing can stop me 🙂

13. I love that running is a great way to explore – while getting fit and picking out the place you’re going to eat at for recovery ;-P

14. I also love that while running is individual, it has allowed me to make so many connections and friends.

15. cassi9879b says:

I’m not a runner but it’s a great way to be in competition with yourself.

16. You should add “because I take the cutest running pics” – because you do! Happy weekend, lady!

17. One of the reasons I love to run is bc it is an individual sport. You don’t need anyone else to do it with. And though it’s hard not to compare yourself to others, as long as you are giving it your best, that’s all that matters.

18. runsaltrun says:

Your airport picture!! I LOVE IT!!!
    Competing against myself is one of my favorite things about running too. And seeing the results of all your hard work!

19. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

Good girl running for you and not against others – I have found that is always a losing battle – sure you might be better than some but there is always someone better. I love your approach – battle yourself!!

Love that runway photo! Another nice thing about running is while its usually an individual sport (for time), it can be a team sport by supporting/pacing someone not at your time or participating in a relay 🙂

21. I had to learn for myself that I run for me! When you take the competition aspect of it, you truly reap the rewards. The challenge gets me every time…and look at me, I’m still running!

22. One of my favorite things about running is competing with myself! It’s so rewarding being able to see your times improve as you become a stronger runner. Winning my age group will always be a challenge for me, but at the very least, I can beat my own previous time. 🙂

23. I love that picture at Dulles! What a great memory!

I love running for a lot of the same reasons. It’s so great to always have a moving target – technically, it’s the same thing, but there are so many different goals for which to aim, so it always feels different.

24. I love how everyone says they can push themselves past their boundaries. That’s what I do all the time- whether it’s in an individual race and I don’t know if I can get over a certain obstacle, or pushing myself to accomplish a new distance, type of race, etc. There’s never a dull moment with this sport because you can always find a new goal to accomplish! And I love the solidarity of it too- if you don’t want to be in competition with others you don’t have to, but you can also do it and earn medals too. 🙂

25. I run for all of these reasons too! I love that it’s an individual sport, it’s fun to challenge myself 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

26. I think running is very cool in that it can be done with others or solo! Either way you can challenge yourself.

Mental health is one of the big ones for me. But I too love the competition with myself!!

28. jillconyers says:

All great reasons to run and the smile on your face says it all! Especially the Dulles shot 🙂

You should share with Fitness Friday!

29. Great list! I find one of the things I love the most about it is one of what you listed. The competition with ourselves. It’s a sport we can compete with others, or use ourselves to better our times. It’s just a great solo or team sport!

30. LOVE this. Yes. LOVE running 🙂

31. I love that photo at the aiport! That sounds like a really cool place to run. And I’m right there with ya on comparing myself. I always look at people who are liek “I just ran an easy 5 miles at 6:00 min pace!” and I get jealous or think why can’t I get faster?? But remind myself to continue working on my own goals, and if I keep at it, I will improve.

32. Lizzy says:

I couldn’t agree more with you list! Great post!! I started out as a runner before I started lifting weights – and it’s always been my favorite 🙂

33. Pingback: Friday Five – Five Things I’m Currently Loving | From Dancing to Running