Bad Ass Runner Virtual 5 Mile Race Recap

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary virtual race entry.  I was not compensated financially for my participation in this virtual race.  As always, all opinions are my own.

On Saturday, not only did I complete my long run but I also participated in my first virtual race, the Bad Ass Virtual 5 Miler, which was hosted by Gone for a Run.

I got a slow start Saturday morning, and after taking care of some chores at home, finally headed out for my run at 11am.  This wasn’t a great decision, as at the start of the run it was already 86 degrees!  Oops!  Thankfully, Preston decided to complete the run with me.  It was a bit more bearable to tolerate the hot, sweaty run by having somebody to run with.

Preston and I out on the trail

Preston and I out on the trail

We chose to run on the trail instead of on the roads around our neighborhood.  Even though the trail is hilly, it is more shaded (at least parts of it are) than our neighborhood roads are.  It was definitely easier to run at a little bit faster pace during the shaded parts of our run.

Scenes from our run, both in the shade and in the direct sun

Scenes from our run, both in the shade and in the direct sun

Our five mile run was by no means fast, but we got to spend an enjoyable morning together.  We completed the race in 54:11 (10:50 min/mile pace), which is far from my fastest run, but this race wasn’t about going for a PR pace.  It was about getting the miles in and enjoying our time together.  When we arrived back home, Preston presented me with my race medal.  And you can’t run a race without getting a picture with your medal!

bad ass runner race

For my first virtual race, this was a fun experience, and made for a fun way to complete my planned long run for half marathon training.  I will definitely consider running another virtual race in the future!

QOTD: Have you ever run a virtual race?  Do you prefer virtual races or traditional races?

This entry was posted in Races and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Bad Ass Runner Virtual 5 Mile Race Recap

I love that your medal matches your shirt! I am not a fan of virtual races because they really seem like just an ordinary run. The excitement of a race start and finish is so exciting that I definitely prefer the real thing!

2. I had fun with this one too! I made mine a race, tho! My next virtual run is a half and I’m not racing that one. I’m not in race shape!

It’s definitely nice that Preston ran with you! That sunny portion looks like it would have been challenging. I enjoy virtual races as a way to liven up a training run but I definitely prefer traditional races. But I enjoy variety so it’s good to have both in the schedule.

4. Good Job! I like trail running, I guess I didn’t realize you got a medal for a virtual run that’s pretty cool.

5. Great work! I’m not a fan of virtual races but see why others do them. I’d much rather race with the crowds 🙂 nice medal though!

Great job! I haven’t done a virtual race yet, but I’m seeing more and more companies coming up with opportunities. There’s one in September from Run the Edge that I’d like to do.

7. Woohoo! I like virtual races for shorter distances like this. Glad you enjoyed it!

8. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

Love the idea of a virtual race!! you don’t have to get up early and you don’t have to look for parking – win and win!!

Mine was fun too. I ran it with my MRTT group!

10. carmyy says:

I’ve never done a virtual race. I feel like I prefer running a traditional race due to the atmosphere.

11. I think virtual races are cool and I’ve done quite a few of them. Of course the thrill of a traditional race is always exciting! You were smart to run the trails, especially with the heat. Great medal! Congrats!

12. tonee78 says:

great job! I love virtual races and have even hosted a few!! Love the medal.

13. Great job. I am not a huge fan of virtual races (because imho, why pay for something that I can do on any other day… whereas a real race challenges me more)

14. Congrats on a great run! I have to admit that I much prefer real races than virtual ones because I love the whole race atmosphere, it really gets my adrenaline going and I can run/race much faster. I also can never remember to actually DO the virtual races that I sign up for 🙂

15. I have never done a virtual race! Very cool.

16. Pingback: 15 in 2015 Update | From Dancing to Running