Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4

I’m now one month into half marathon training, and although I haven’t logged as many miles as I had hoped to, it still feels good to be in training again.  Between being sick for a week, a super busy couple of weeks at school, and being exhausted from all of the AP and state testing at work, I haven’t done as much training beyond my planned runs as I would have hoped to.  However, I know that there is still plenty of time between now and Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach to fully prepare myself for race day, so I’m trying to not be too hard on myself.

There were two big highlights to my week.  On Monday, Preston and I enjoyed spending Memorial Day afternoon at Manassas Battlefield.  We logged a couple of miles walking the battlefield.  It was nice to spend the day honoring those who have sacrificed their lives for serving our country out on the battlefield.

stonewall jackson

On Saturday, I ran my first virtual race, the Bad Ass Runner 5 Miler.  Like with all of my races, I’ll recap the race, and plan to later this week.  For now, let’s just say that Saturday morning was hot and humid, which made for a very sweaty run.

bad ass runner race

Mon 5/25 – 2.66 mile walk around Manassas Battlefield

Tues 5/26 – 3.18 mile run on the treadmill, 0.32 mile cool down walk, kettlebell squat swings, abs, glutes, arms, chest, back

Wed 5/27 – Rest day

Thurs 5/28 – 3.40 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.40 mile cool down walk

Fri 5/29 – Rest day

Sat 5/30 – 5.00 mile run on the trail, 1.23 mile cool down walk

Sun 5/31 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 16.19 miles (5.48 miles more than week 3)

Total RnRVB Training Mileage – 46.96 miles

QOTD: Does it feel like summer where you live?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4

1. The thought of running this summer pains me (or doing anything outside, really). It’s so hot and humid in Florida that it’s ridiculous. We were at Disney on Saturday and it was just so unbearable that we left by 3pm. That’s so unlike me but I just couldn’t take it anymore. Where did winter go?!

2. briwifruit says:

That is a sweet medal. I seriously need to sign up for something, I’m feeling so lost in my training right now! The next half marathon here isn’t until October, so I need to find something else I think!

We finally have a stretch of sunny days in our forecast, but it doesn’t feel like summer yet. It’ll get here, but the rain’s delayed it. I’ve got my eye on a virtual challenge in September that includes a running distance and core challenges.

4. Great week Kathryn! Glad you are starting to feel better and less stressed! And yes…it’s HOT and HUMID here all day long!!!

5. I think we totally skipped spring and went right to hot and humid summer. But after the winter we had, I will certainly not complain.

Every time I read your RnR training posts it just reminds me how far behind I am on training. At this point I still don’t even know if I should try for the half. Regardless of what I run, I will be sure to see you. Are you doing VIP for VA Beach?

6. The heat and humidity came back with a vengeance didn’t it?! It always takes me a few weeks to get used to it.

7. Elle says:

Yes, definitely Summer here! Looks like a great week… love the virtual race medal!

8. Does it feel like summer? Its a soupy mess all of the time here!

9. summer is here, for sure. we might get a tiny break this week and i’m hoping we do!

10. It’s still cool in Iowa, but it will start heating up soon I’m sure. Then I have to start getting up earlier to run!
    I should do a virtual race this month since I have no races. That would probably help motivate me as I don’t start training for my next race till July.

11. Great job with your training! It does NOT feel like summer in Missouri… gloomy, RAIN and cool.

12. Great week! Can’t wait to hear about your virtual! You are so much further along in your RnR Va Beach training than me! I am going to use that as motivation!

It definitely feels like summer here. In the 90s, hot and humid. Whoo hoo!

13. It’s still really cold here! Yesterday was about 50, today about 60. Where is summer?

14. it’s awesome to see how much you’ve grown as a runner! I cannot fathom doing RnRVB again. It’s so hot!! It’s cooling off a bit here this week so hopefully that’s helpful!

15. Christine @ we run Disney says:

Looks like you’re still handling training well if it didn’t go accordingly to plan exactly. I haven’t decided if I’ll do RnR Va Beach again this year. The only race I feel motivated to run is marine corps marathon. We shall see!

16. Love that medal! I love the RNR Va Beach had and have run it the past 3 years. I am so sad that I will not be able to do it this year. Good luck with your training!

17. Should have signed up for that virtual race for that awesome medal! And yes, you know I died on Saturday running through that awful heat and humidity lol

18. I really can’t do running in extreme heat, but when the weather is nice it just feels great!

Great job this week, Kathryn! It’s definitely summer here!! 🙂

May was a scorcher! Hoping the days get less stressful and busy as you approach the last day of school. You are right, you have plenty of time ahead of RnR VB and I know you will have a good training cycle 🙂

21. Juliana says:

strangely it has not been too warm here temperature wise in Los Angeles, but it has been more humid than usual! I dont notice it until I have been running for a few minutes and then it feels heavy. so crazy! time for some slower runs which will be good in the long run!

22. jillconyers says:

It has felt like summer up until this week. The weather has been super weird for the past few days. Great training week.

23. haleyduke17 says:

Ummmm. Yes. It’s officially hit in FL. We’ve hit the 90s. And I am not looking forward to training in the dead of Summer heat. I’ll be waking up in the wee early morning to avoid the sun and humidity.

24. I love virtual races! Such a good way to get out and motivate!

25. carmyy says:

I’m so happy it rained over the weekend. last week was beyond hot and humid but once the rain broke, it’s been nice and cool