Friday Five – Potpourri v. 2

Who else is excited that its now unofficially summer?  It certainly feels like summer out there, which has me longing to finalize our summer travel plans, particularly our vacation which we plan on taking in August right before I head back to school.

Even though its only been a four day work week due to Memorial Day on Monday, its been an absolutely crazy week, and there’s also lots of exciting things that I’m looking forward to this weekend!

1.  Yesterday marked the end of state testing at school!  For the past week and a half, we’ve been in full testing mode at school.  Virginia requires all students to take a number of end of course exams each school year, and all five of my classes took their World History SOL (Standards of Learning Test) sometime over the past week and a half.

2.  Speaking of school, I’m a bit jealous of those teachers and students whose school year has already come to an end.  Although we’re done with state testing, we still have three full weeks of school, followed by a Monday teacher workday.  And then the next day I’ll be headed to a four day AP refresher training, so it really won’t feel like I’m done with work for the school year for another month.

I've been feeling a lot like the "October thru April" teacher, especially since we've been in testing mode for the last couple of weeks

I’ve been feeling a lot like the “October thru April” teacher, especially since we’ve been in testing mode for the last couple of weeks

3.  This weekend I’ll be running my first virtual race, the Bad Ass Virtual 5 Mile Race.  I’m very excited about completing my first virtual race, and then proudly wearing my race medal post race.

4.  Tonight we’ll be celebrating our friends’ recent engagement with them.  Preston and I were some of the first people who knew them as “a couple” and we’re very excited for their upcoming wedding!

With our friends Jen and Jason wine tasting in Charlottesville over Veteran's Day weekend last November

With our recently engaged friends during a wine tasting weekend in Charlottesville last November

5.  Last weekend we finally planted flowers in our front flower bed for the first time since we bought our house last July.  It was fun to head to the garden center and pick out flowers together, and then add some color to our front yard.

QOTD: Has school ended for the year in your neck of the woods?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Friday Five – Potpourri v. 2

I know you are looking forward to summer vacation and hopefully the month goes quickly. We have a vegetable garden and alot of potted plants by the pool so I am out their daily watering and picking herbs! I love spring/summer!

2. Oh! Three more weeks? I feel for you! Today is our last day and even though I am a sub/assistant I am just as ready to be done as these kids.

3. YAY for the end of the school year! We are getting mulch delivered today (so exciting haha) and plan to plant some flowes in the front yard as well. Happy weekend! 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

4. This is a stressful few weeks at school with sol’s and finals. Not a fan of SO’s really. My daughter is graduating! Crazy. Have fun with your virtual :0

5. I have a lot of teacher friends, and the AP testing period can be so stressful for them just as for their students (which, when we were doing it, never occurred to us!) Good luck and enjoy the summer when it does come – the break will feel VERY earned 🙂

6. Seniors are done but underclassmen still have to attend! If it weren’t for summer, teaching wouldn’t appeal to me…lol Hang in there friend!

7. Yes! This week was our first week of summer vacation! Hope the next month flies by for you!

8. mkadens1 says:

I swear the school year seems to go faster and faster. My 8th grader is done today. My 3rd grader has one more week.

My university is done for the spring semester, but schools are still in session until next Friday. Some might already be out because the roads were empty this morning.

10. hahaha I love the minion teacher graphic! I hope the next 3 weeks go by quickly for you!

I’ll be running the virtual this weekend too, hopefully. I need to figure out a way to squeeze it in!

12. This has been a crazy month and I’m not a teacher. I hope you enjoy your summer! Have a great race this weekend…I love virtual races!

13. Michelle @ Running with Attitude says:

I feel like the school year flew by this year! My 7th grader finished today – couple more weeks for my 3rd grader. Have fun with your virtual race!

14. I’m SOOOOO ready for summer! Wow, this week was nuts crazy for us too, lol, I keep hearing that from others too.

15. Elle says:

That graphic is so cute! Most schools get out here mid June I think.

16. SixFeetUnderBlog says:

Today was our last day of school. It will be a quiet weekend here for once

17. I hate SOLs. Bleh. And we have 3 weeks left of school too although it feels like the middle school has already wound down.

I loved adding flowers to our front yard for the first time, it really sank in that this was our house :). I hope you have a great summer!

19. This is the time of year that I always wish I was a teacher! It’s so hard to be a grown up in the summer!

Oooh pics of the flower beds 🙂

21. I am jealous you get summer vacation! We live around the corner from an elementary school and they don’t get out until mid-June. Good luck in your virtual 5k!

22. Good luck with your race this weekend!

23. tonee78 says:

School for us doesn’t end til the end of June. Good luck with your first virtual race, they are fun!

24. you’ll be done with school before you know it!

25. School doesn’t end here for another 2 weeks or so. I’m one of those mom’s who LOVES summer vacation…LESS work of ME!!! 🙂

26. Christine @ we run Disney says:

Not that I think yall have it easy during the school year but I would kill for a little summer break! I love summer activities and it would be nice to be able to enjoy them without the pressure of office email tethered to me all the time! It definitely feels like summer here and since I’m not running as much, it’s not bothering me as much as I think it normally would. Ask me again in 2 months when I’m marathon training! 😉

27. I need to plant flowers, I’m so behind on life lol