Sweat Pink Athleta Yoga Recap

Sunday morning I had the opportunity to attend a yoga class in Georgetown with my fellow DC/MD/VA Sweat Pink Ambassadors.  The event was held at Athleta Georgetown, where we were treated to time to shop (with a discount), an hour long yoga class, and most importantly, time to mingle with other ambassadors.

With fellow Sweatpink Ambassadors after our yoga class Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

From left to right: Courtenay from Running with Perservance, Erica from MCM Mama Runs, Alexis from Flecks of Lex, Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner, Mar from Mar on the Run, Jenny from Run Jenny Run, Me, Cynthia from You Signed Up For What?! (and her daughter Sabrina), Colleen from Live Free and Run
Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

The event was made possible by Mar from Mar on the Run, who reached out to Athleta and arranged for the event.  They arranged for a yoga instructor from Yoga del Sol to meet us at the store.  If you follow me on Twitter or read in yesterday’s blog post, you already know that I barely made it to the event in time.  Shopping started at 9:30 a.m. (before the store opened for the day), and I left my house at 8:40.  Under normal circumstances, that should have been more than enough time to drive into the city.  Well, a car accident followed by a road closure for Rolling Thunder had me sitting on the interstate for a solid 60 minutes.  We were stopped for more than long enough that most people had turned their car engines off and were getting out of their cars.  The longer I sat not moving, the more panicked I became that I wouldn’t make it to the event that I had been looking forward to ever since Mar had shared the details with us in our private DC area Sweatpink Facebook group.  I sent messages to both Mar and Jenny, updating them on my whereabouts and letting them know that I was going to do everything I could to make it there in time for yoga.

I finally arrived in Georgetown just minutes before class started, quickly decided to suck up paying for a parking garage instead of wasting time searching for street parking, and walked into Athleta just as the yoga class was getting ready to start at 10:30.  I’m so glad that I made it just in the nick of time, as our yoga instructor was fabulous!  We had ladies at the class of all yoga levels, and she did an incredible job showing us how to accommodate the various poses for differing levels.  The hour class flew by!  With my legs still feeling heavy and stiff after Thursday’s lower body workout and Saturday’s run, spending an hour stretching out my sore legs is exactly what I needed.  And yesterday, my arms felt the effects of class, a sign that I got a great workout!

Sabrina, Cynthia, and I during class Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

Sabrina, Cynthia, and I during class
Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

Jenny and I can't go to an event together without getting a picture!

Jenny and I can’t go to an event together without getting a picture!

After class ended, we had the opportunity to shop and socialize.  I was really good and didn’t purchase a single thing, despite how tempting the Athleta discount was.  And thankfully, my drive home was uneventful.  I even made it home faster than I thought I would!

Having some fun before class started Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

Having some fun before class started
Photo Credit: Deborah from Confessions of a Mother Runner

Thanks again Athleta and Yoga del Sol for a fabulous morning!  I can’t wait for another Sweat Pink meetup!

QOTD: Do you prefer group fitness classes, working out on your own, or a combination of the two?

This entry was posted in Training and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Sweat Pink Athleta Yoga Recap

Wow, what a bummer getting stuck in traffic for such a long time. However, you made it to the class on time so that was nice. I love Yoga class, but seem to always be busy on Friday when my favorite instructor is at the club.

2. Looks like a fun time! Glad you were able to make it. I am not a big fan of yoga, but doing it with a group of ladies like you did I’m sure would be a good time. Congrats on not buying anything. It’s so tempting, especially when items are on sale.

3. Sounds like a fun event! I love group fitness classes but also love doing my own thing. Actually, I just like mixing my fitness up in general–helps it from staying stagnant. 🙂

At least you weren’t part of the accident this time! Glad you made it to the class since it was exactly what you needed. Maybe I should’ve done yoga because my legs felt very heavy after traveling last week.

5. Tricia says:

Sorry you had trouble getting there but you made it just in time! What a fun event! I wish I lived in a bigger city to enjoy these benefits! 🙂

6. haleyduke17 says:

Sounds like such a fun event. I’m jealous. Wish I lived closer. I love yoga and Athlete for that matter.

Looks like a lot of fun! I haven’t tried any of the athleta products yet but they have some really cute options. I think a lot of group fitness classes really depend on having a good instructor. It can affect the whole nature of the class.

8. Oh what a great way to link up with some awesome ladies – and you got some yoga in too! good job not buying anything!!

I am so bummed I missed this! Looks like you guys had a great time!

10. I love Athleta and the Sweat Pink gals!!!!

11. mkadens1 says:

What a fun event! How great to see lots of familiar faces. Which remind me, a new Athleta, which is dangerously close to me, opened today!

12. Traffic like that is awful 😦 I’m glad you were able to make the event. It looked like tons of fun! Group classes are fun, although I love working out solo as well.

13. I went to a Sweat Pink meet up in Austin recently! It was so much fun.

14. I read about this on several other blogs and it sounds fun! I wish Sweat Pink would do something like this at the new Athleta by my house!

15. Pingback: Weekly Workout/Training in Review 5/18-5/24 | Run Jenny Run

Glad you were able to make it! Was fun to see you… hmm when will our next Kathryn – Jenny occur? 🙂

17. Coco says:

Traffic was crazy on Sunday! Glad I got to meet you.

18. This looks like so much fun! I love the sweatpink crew! Yay for yoga and athleta! 🙂

19. jillconyers says:

Sweat Pink events are the best! And at my favorite store too.

I like a combination with a little more on the working out by myself side.

20. Jessica says:

Oh this looks SO fun! What a great event.

21. Sounds like a fun event! I prefer a combo of both. Some days when I Really don’t feel like running or lifting on my own, I like trying a new class at the gym to switch things up.

22. carmyy says:

I usually work out alone but don’t mind groups once in a while – plus look how fun yours were!

23. That looks like sooo much fun!!!!! Glad you made it in time!!!

24. This is SO cool! I know that yoga would be SO good for me, but I tried a couple of classes at my local YMCA about a zillion years ago and couldn’t get into it. I think I’d appreciate it much more now that I’m a runner, so you’re totally inspiring me to give it another try!