Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

Unfortunately, this week didn’t go exactly as planned.  Although the week started off great, by Thursday evening I was completely exhausted and could feel a cold coming on.  You know, that tickle in the back of your throat that is usually the tell tale sign that you’re getting sick?  That’s what I had Thursday evening, so I opted to take an unplanned rest day, hoping that I would be able to rest off whatever bug I was starting to get.  Unfortunately, by Friday morning I felt worse, and sadly wasn’t in a position to be able to take a sick day from work.  By the time I got home from school on Friday, I felt absolutely miserable and the couch became my best friend.  I spent the weekend coughing, sneezing, and just generally feeling miserable.  There’s a number of things that I’m sure contributed to me getting sick, particularly our whirlwind trip to Illinois last weekend and stress at school due to AP and state exams.

Needless to say, I haven’t worked out since Wednesday evening.  Fortunately, I’m only two weeks into my half marathon training, and my planned long run for this past weekend was only five miles, so I’m not terribly behind on my mileage.  I did just run a 10k three weeks ago, so I know that my body hasn’t completely forgotten what its like to run more than 3.5 miles.  But I’m definitely eager to be feeling better and to be up and moving again!

Preston and I after Wednesday evening's run

Preston and I after Wednesday evening’s run

This is part of why I like following an 18 week half marathon training plan.  It leaves me with some wiggle room in cases like this past week where I get sick and need to slightly readjust my training plans.  I don’t see this past week as being a set back in my training, and when I’m finally better I’ll slowly ramp up the miles again!

Mon 5/11 – 3.10 mile run on the treadmill, 0.57 mile cool down walk, chest, back, arms, abs

Tues 5/12 – 1.84 mile walk around the neighborhood with Riley

Wed 5/13 – 3.51 mile run around the neighborhood, 0.24 mile cool down walk

Thurs 5/14 – Rest day

Fri 5/15 – Rest day

Sat 5/16 – Rest day

Sun 5/17 – Rest day

Total Weekly Mileage – 9.26 miles (1.54 miles less than week 1)

Total RnRVB Training Mileage – 20.06 miles

QOTD: Do you have trouble sitting still and taking extra rest days when you are sick?

This entry was posted in RnRVB Half Marathon Training, Training and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2

So sorry you have been suffering with a bad cold. It is never fun missing eout on the exercise, but it will help you in the long run. Training plans are meant to be altered so hopefully this week will be a better one for you. I’m taking it easy now after some big races last weekend and next week I have the Wilma dash.

2. I do have trouble taking rest days when I’m sick, and I tend to run through it unless I have a fever. I think that if I can’t run, that means I’m really sick and need to stay home from work. It’s kind of a test, I guess…

3. Hope you are feeling better soon! You are going to do awesome at VA Beach this year!

4. Yuck. I hope you’re feeling better soon 😦

We are running the RNR Virginia Beach Half, and I’ll be honest: we haven’t started our official training yet. Soo lazy! Now I’m inspired to get into it!

You’re going to do great!

5. Hope you are feeling better Kathryn!!!

6. oh man, getting sick especially at the start of summer is a bummer! hope this week brings you lots of rest and that you’re feeling better. I get so restless when I’m sick for sure. Rest days not so much but I can never fit it all in!

7. Ariana says:

Hope you’re feeling better soon. I definitely know what it’s like to have illness hit and just needing the time to rest and get better.

8. I have a hard time taking rest days always and I get very antsy. You still have plenty of time to train for VA beach 🙂

9. When I’m training for something, I get frustrated when my training cycle is interrupted, but I do take the rest days. When I’m not actively training for anything…I don’t really mind so much. I find that listening to your body is much smarter than just trying to push through.

Hope you are back to 100% soon!

10. Ugh I hate forced rest days. I don’t mind them if I’m planning a little necessary break, but getting sick or something gets me angry – haha.

11. I hope you start to feel better soon! My body doesn’t cooperate with running when I’m feeling unwell and I need to rest and I hate it!

12. Elle says:

Hope you shake that bug soon. It is kind of disheartening to be sick so early on.. but you have lots of time left!

13. ugh, i caught something this weekend too. i ran saturday (it was SO hot) and then by sunday morning felt awful. stayed home all day yesterday and ventured out to pure barre this morning. i can’t tell yet if that was a mistake. so yes, i have a hard time taking rest days! 🙂 feel better soon!

14. Boo. Sorry to hear you’re sick. I have zero trouble sitting still. I do have trouble actually resting though (mentally and emotionally). Instead of closing my eyes and sleeping/healing, I sit sickly at my computer and try to do all the non-moving things on my to-do list. And it’s exhausting. And I don’t get better as fast.

15. feel better soon! I am also pretty exhausted and worried a cold is going ot come on as well. I plan on trying to rest and get as much sleep as possible this week.

16. mkadens1 says:

Let’s hope you got this bug behind you and you’re good to go for the rest of the training cycle. Yeah rest days are tough for sure.

I used to feel that way about resting but I no longer feel that way. You and I have been running for so long and training so much that your body WILL NOT forget. The first few days back are tough, but the muscle memory is there! Let your body rest up! Feel better!

18. MCM Mama says:

Hope you are feeling better. I’m pretty sure I’m inherently lazy – It does not take much to convince me to take a rest day LOL.

19. Hope you feel better! That tickle in the throat feeling is the worst. You know what’s coming…that’s exactly how I Felt a week before my half marathon end of April and I took the whole week off but still couldn’t run =/ Sometime you just need to listen to your body and let it rest even if it thwarts your running plans!

Hope you are feeling better and the last few weeks of school aren’t too crazy.

21. So sorry you’ve caught a cold! I feel your pain, because I also caught another cold last week. It’s not fun to have to sit back and rest! Hope you get over it soon, and the great thing about giving yourself plenty of time to properly train for a race like this, is a little time off for illness recovery won’t hurt you a bit:) Heal quick!!!

22. jillconyers says:

Feel better soon! On the bright side better now in your training than close to race day.

23. carmyy says:

get well soon! for myself – I don’t mind a good excuse to lay around but I start feeling guilty pretty quickly.

24. GiselleR says:

Feel better soon! I don’t really have an issue taking time off, but if I’m sick and laying around for too long, I start feeling bored lol