Life Isn’t About Waiting for the Storm to Pass

Yesterday and today were/are difficult days for Preston’s side of the family.  Yesterday his mom’s cousin lost her battle against breast cancer, and today marks the three year anniversary of the passing of his mom after fighting her own battle against breast cancer.

With Preston's cousin (second from the left) in May 2014, and with my mother-in-law in July 2011 (Wedding photo credit: Mark Romine Photography)

With Preston’s cousin (second from the left) in May 2014, and with my mother-in-law in July 2011 (Wedding photo credit: Mark Romine Photography)

As I wrote last year after learning about the passing of an administrator that I worked with during my first two years of teaching, you never know when life will throw you a curve ball, whether that’s cancer or anything else.  I’ve been reminded of this far too many times, more recently with my car accident at the end of January.

In our extremely busy lives, not only is it important to focus on what matters most, but its also important to never take life for granted.  If anything, Preston and I have learned that tomorrow is never guaranteed, and that its important to live in the moment.  The motto that my mother-in-law lived by during her cancer battle is an important reminder for all of us: “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.”

dance in the rain

Today, tomorrow, and always, be sure to take advantage of all of the opportunities that you’re presented with, no matter the difficulties you might also be facing.  You just never know when you might not be able to take advantage of those opportunities.

QOTD: What motto do you live by?

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Life Isn’t About Waiting for the Storm to Pass

1. thesimplepeach says:

I’m sorry to hear about everything your family is going through. I’m saying prayers and sending sunshine vibes your way!

2. My condolences to you and your family. It is so important to live by those words – if you keep living for some intangible future and not for the present you’ll miss out on real life.

3. So sorry for your loss! I’m praying for you and Preston!

4. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss…I too, try my best to live in the moment.

5. Love and pixie dust to you and Preston. We know all too well how quickly loved ones can be taken from us. We can only honor them by trying to be the best image of ourselves. ❤

Sorry to hear about your family’s loss. Thinking of you and Preston.

7. I am so sorry for your loss 😦

8. This post is so timely for me-my boyfriend is currently dealing with a sudden death in the family and it has been a tough weekend so this was a great reminder. Prayers for you and Preston!! ❤

One motto I live by is "buy experiences, not things". I always focus on the experience of something versus buying some material item and I use that for gifts as well. I haven't bought a tradition gift in a long time, I would rather by an experience for someone

Great quote. So sorry for your family’s loss. We have recently have some deaths due to cancer in our family too and this is so true!

10. mkadens1 says:

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news. Life is precious and fleeting for sure. Tomorrow is guaranteed to nobody. Hugs!

11. FitMomma says:

So sorry for your loss. Your family are in my thoughts &prayers.

12. I’m so sorry for your family! We have similar messages on our blogs today – it is SO important to be strong in times like this and remind all your loved ones that you love them.

13. Sorry about your loss. It’s never easy even when you expect it. Great quote for sure. It’s easy to get caught up and not remember to appreciate everyday.

14. So sorry for your loss. I think your mother-in-law’s motto is a great one to live by, and I’m glad she saw things like that while dealing with a tough time.

15. My condolences to you. Prayers to you and your family! That quote…beautiful words to live by.

16. Sorry for your loss.
    This is something that I try think about every day.

17. I’m so sorry about your and your husband’s loss. As I’m heading through my 50s, I think often about the time I have left and the need to make the most of it. As I continue to do…

So very sorry for your loss Kathryn and Preston. Having watched several friends go through cancer treatment in the last 10 years, I try to enjoy every day and appreciate my family and friends.

19. tonee78 says:

I am so sorry for your loss. We need to live each and every day because tomorrow is never guaranteed.

20. Hugs mama. With out the rain/storms there wouldn’t be rainbows.

21. So sorry for your loss. And thank you for the reminder. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, as I had written on my blog about it too. I’ve just been thinking about how lucky I am, and how I should cherish every moment with my family because you never know how much time is left.

22. So sorry for your loss.

23. I am so sorry. Cancer is horrible and to lose those you love to it is so heartbreaking.

I do my best to live with purpose and to be intentionally thankful for every circumstance, even the hard ones. Some of the greatest blessings have come amidst the hardest storms.

24. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss.