Friday Five – May 8th – Five Reasons I Love Running with My Husband

Its no secret that I love sharing my passion for running with Preston.  After all, it was his completion of his first marathon in January 2013 that inspired me to start running myself.  Although he is starting to cut back a bit on his running, there are several reasons why I love sharing my love for running with him.

1.  He “gets it.”

Mid race on Hain's Point among the gorgeous cherry blossoms

So many friends and family think that we’re nuts to run as much as we do.  But he truly understands the thrill of crossing the finish line of a race, as well as all of the hard work that goes into training prior to race day.

2.  He encourages me and is my #1 cheerleader.

Preston always seems to know when I need encouragement the most.  He recognizes when I’m struggling, whether its physically, mentally, or both.  When we aren’t running a race together, he often texts me words of encouragement after he crosses the finish line.  His words were especially encouraging while I was running my second half marathon only two weeks after having been in the hospital after experiencing a TIA.

3.  There’s nothing better than spending time with your best friend doing something that you both love.

Preston and I in the corral before the start of the race

There are so many activities that we both enjoy doing together, only one of which is running.

4.  My safety is his #1 concern.

When I head out for a run by myself, I know that I’m not truly alone.  He always asks me if I have my pepper spray with me, and I inform him of my planned route.

5.  There’s nobody else that I’d rather celebrate my running victories with.

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon! Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

Crossing the finish line of my first half marathon!
Photo Credit: MarathonFoto

I wouldn’t have chosen anybody else to cross the finish line of my first half marathon with.  We’ve run many races together, and we love celebrating post race together.

QOTD: Who is your favorite person to run with?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Motivation and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Friday Five – May 8th – Five Reasons I Love Running with My Husband

1. I LOVE that you run with your hubby! I think mine would like to run with me more but his days of being a catcher in baseball have damaged his knees. So….I LOVE running with my friends! 🙂

2. I wish I could get my fiance into running, but its not his thing. But he is a GREAT supporter and has been there for all of my triumphs and all of my disappointments at races.

How sweet! 🙂 My parents did races together but now they’ve found other interests. My dad even paced my mom in her first half marathon.

4. this is so cute. running k’s first marathon with him was a really emotional experience but we don’t run together regularly because our styles are so different! 🙂

5. Stephanie says:

I wish I could get my husband into running, we weight train together but he has no desire to run. I do have my dog Hurley who I am currently getting into running shape. I am glad I have my husband to weight train with and he is always there to cheer me on at my races 🙂

6. That’s great that you guys share that passion! My husband cannot run, his heart is so bad that he can barely walk at best. However, he is a big supporter of my running!
    I don’t have anyone to run with currently. I have friends who run, but they all run way faster than I do so I don’t even bother asking 🙂

Thats so awesome that you guys run together 🙂 My favorite running buddy is an old law school friend that started running around the same time as I did. We’re really close in pace so it works out well and gives us time to catch up. We’ve done a lot of 5ks and 10ks together and I’m still talking her into a half! And I’ve talked Mike into doing the Wine and Dine half with me 🙂

8. You are SO lucky! I would love to run with my husband but it’s just not his thing (although he did do one Disney 5K with me). I think it’s a husband’s instinct to make sure we are safe. Mine asks me every time if I have my pepper spray with me on a run. I always say yes even though I usually leave it in the car!

9. apkussma says:

Obviously my wife is my favourite running buddy, followed closely by the Lightning Kid in the Chariot.

10. Kelli says:

that is so awesome. My husband has no interest in running or multi-sport. However, he will join me for destination races and be my cheerleader!

11. So lovely of you to share this! I haven’t found my special someone yet, but whoever the guy out there is, I hope we get to share running as well!

12. Thats awesome. What a sweet way to appreciate each other.

I like that you both train together as well – whether is it a run outside or side by side on the treadmill 🙂 PS – thanks to Preston for always being our official photographer haha!

14. katemovingforward1234 says:

So sweet!! I love to run with my sister! We did a half together and it was awesome! She is so encouraging to me!

15. I could have written this ENTIRE post. I’m kinda sorta obsessed with my husband (and he loves running too!) Love this post! 😀 Glad you have a great running partner!

16. Love this! I love that my husband is a runner too because you’re so right about them “getting it”. I think it would be hard to have someone who didn’t understand. We don’t actually run together very much because he’s way faster than me but I love having him as a support and always there to cheer me on at the finish line.

17. So amazing!! I’m mostly a solo run, but I had a blast running with my mom for her first 5k!

Love this. My hubby likes to run, but he doesn’t “get it”. He doesn’t understand the culture and social aspect of it. Wish he did!

19. Lucky you that he shares your interest!

20. GiselleR says:

I love this. I don’t think I could end up with someone who didn’t at least get my passion for being healthy. So lucky that y’all can run together!

21. jillconyers says:

Run dates are the best!! Chad and I have had the best times with running over the years. We’re both very lucky 🙂

22. tonee78 says:

It is so nice to share your love of running with your significant other! I love running with my husband although we do get a little competitive at times!

23. That is awesome that you run with your husband! In the beginning my husband would always leave me. Lol Since then, we have completed 2 races together and he’s cheers me along the way. He is very fast and I often slow him down, but it’s nice that we have been finishing together! I do have a good friend that I run with. She rocks too!

24. I love that you too run together. My husband is not much of a runner but that’s ok. It looks like you guys have a blast running together!

25. Katrina says:

Having a partner in fitness is such a blessing!

26. Juliana says:

i love this! I have gotten my boyfriend slowly into running but he is too competitive to run with me but he is slowly starting to realize all of the advice I give him is important-like not starting out too fast and how to fuel. i think he will run with me more in the future

27. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

Oh this is just so awesome! I love that you both love running! It’s so awesome when it’s not a chore for either of you. How true about not having to worry about pepper spray or safety during a run!! Woot woot for couple time! 🙂

28. I love this!! I have been trying to get my guy more into running, slowly but surely. But in the meantime, he’s definitely my number 1 fan and a huge source of encouragement!!

29. Pingback: Friday Five – Five Things I’m Currently Loving | From Dancing to Running

30. Pingback: My Favorite Friday Five Posts | From Dancing to Running