Friday Five – May 1st – Potpourri v. 1

Happy Friday everybody!  Who else thinks this week has been incredibly long and is more than ready to enjoy a relaxing Spring weekend?  I know that I am!

This week’s Friday Five theme is Race Day Routines.  I wrote about my race day routines as a part of the Tuesdays on the Run linkup back in March.  If you didn’t check out that post, be sure to do so!

Since its been a super crazy, jam packed week I thought it would be appropriate to make this week’s Friday Five a potpourri edition.  There’s several exciting things going on right now, as well as several things in the works.

1.  Preston’s best friend, who was also our Best Man at our wedding, flew into town last night.  Between him and his wife having a ridiculously busy schedule, in addition to Preston and I also being super busy, we haven’t seen Steve in over a year and a half.  A visit was long overdue, and although his wife wasn’t able to make the trip, we’re looking forward to enjoying the weekend with Steve.

2.  Last weekend I booked our flights and made our hotel reservations for our trip to Seattle in July.  We’re headed out to Seattle for a wedding for two of my college friends.  Because of the timing of the trip, its going to be a quick trip out to Seattle, especially when you factor in the three hour time change.  We’ll only be in Seattle for four nights, but I’m definitely looking forward to exploring a new city and celebrating with my friends at their wedding.

3.  Preston and I have started looking into possibilities for our summer vacation, which we’ll likely take in August.  We’re currently leaning towards a trip to Charleston and Folly Beach, although there are a couple of other East Coast beaches on our short list.

4.  During a class activity with my AP students on Tuesday, one of my students said, “This might be the most fun activity that I’ve ever done in a History class.” It was music to my ears!

5.  With my two races this past weekend, I’ve now crossed the finish line of seven races this year.  My goal is to run 15 races this year, and while I’m not registered for all eight of my remaining races, its exciting to know that it only took me four months to reach the almost halfway point of my goal.

Celebrating post race on Saturday at the Jaguar 5k and post race on Sunday at the Manassas 10k

QOTD: Have you ever been to Seattle, Charleston, or Folly Beach?  Any must do activities or must eat at restaurants in those cities?

DC_linkup

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Friday Five – May 1st – Potpourri v. 1

1. I have been to Seattle a few times. It’s aa fun city. Must do’s are the Space needle, and Pike place market. Another fun thing we did was this underground tour. You would like that tour since you are into History.

I have been to Charleston too, ( if you mean Charleston, SC). We did a horse and carriage ride that was a ghost tour and that was fun. I have no idea about Folly beach. I’ve never heard of it..lol. Sounds like you have some great stuff planned! -M

I loved Seattle when I went, but I only got to go for a few days. Charleston is beautiful! Have a great weekend!!

3. My sister and I were in Charleston last fall. LOVED IT!!!

I visited Charleston in 2001 and would love to go back! I’m a Civil War nut so of course I dragged everyone out to Fort Sumter.

I’m going for 15 races in 2015 too 🙂 I’ll have 8 by the end of May so I think I’ll be good with that one too.

6. Lots of fun things happening for you! Have fun in Seattle! I’d love to visit there one day!

7. I’ve never been to any of those places, but I’ve heard both Seattle and Charleston are amazing! Can I come with you?!

I am definitely ready for the weekend! Aaaah Seattle – we would love to go back, such a beautiful city!

9. I thought about doing 15 races this year too. I think I currently have 10 scheduled so I just need to find a few more.

10. Charleston has been on my list for a long time!!! And Seattle too! Have a blast!

11. Oh how fun! Seattle is a fun city! 🙂 Enjoy!

12. Wow, sounds so busy but lots of fun too! I haven’t been to Seattle…I’ve sorely neglected the west coast on my travels (not intentionally!) so I need to get out there one day. It is so nice to hear you’re making history class fun! I love history, but had a particularly awesome teacher who really made it come to life. I’ll always remember her for this!

13. runsaltrun says:

Charleston is easily one of my most favorite places on the planet. My mom used to live there and I would visit several times a year! Unfortunately I never did make it to Seattle (I wish I had when I lived out west) and I hope you have a wonderful trip! Take lots of pics to share with us!

14. You were a gorgeous bride, and I love your dress. Have fun this weekend with your friend. It’s supposed to be a beautiful weekend!

In Seattle make sure you go to Pike Place Fish Market down at the pier. It’s so cool, and so different than anything we have around here.

I’ll see you at the Firecracker 5K and the Leesburg 20K!

• Thanks Deb! Pike Place is number one of my list. I might be dragging my husband there kicking and screaming, but I can’t go to Seattle and not go there.

I’m planning to be at both Firecracker and Leesburg, and would love to meet up again!

15. mkadens1 says:

I’ve been to Seattle and Charleston. Both are amazing!

16. Sam @ PancakeWarriors says:

I went to Seattle in October and really enjoyed the tour on the boar and the Ferris wheel! the market is a must of course!! Don’t have dinner in the space needle – it was terrible! Charleston is my favorite place to vacation – we try to go have dinner around Shem Creek – there are dolphins that come in with the boats and the sunset there is unreal!

17. jillconyers says:

I’m always ready for the weekend! Wrapping up the school year has been unusually stressful this year.

18. tonee78 says:

I have never been to Seattle but really want to go someday. 15 races in one year is an awesome goal, you will surely do that if not more the way you are going!

19. Juliana says:

i went to Seattle for a wedding a few years ago and we got lucky because it did not rain the whole time! I would definitely plan to do the Space Needle, Pike’s Peak and we also did a Duck tour which I highly recommend. If we had more time, I would have loved to hike a bit on Mount Rainier

Hope you had a great time with Steve this past weekend. Ooh so jealous you’ll go to Seattle – Kerry Park (easy drive away from the center – panoramic views of the Seattle skyline and Elliott Bay), Space Needle (I believe Chuiliy Gardens beneath it) OR Columbia Room (there you get a view of the Space Needle). Alternatively, if you do not want to pay to go up, I asked my hotel if I could get a room with the best views and I had one of the Space Needle. Pikes Market is great and if you have a chance you could take a ferry to Bainbridge Island. Charleston would be super fun and so much to eat! The carriage ride was great – a nice historical tour. If you end up going there I’ll email you some restaurant recommendations. Amy (Tiny Terror) has some restaurant write-ups on her blog (I think she is also a Yelp Elite member). Ahh long reply 🙂

Seattle is a wonderful place to visit. We were there last fall for a wedding and had a great 4 days and walked everywhere! However, I only ran on the hotel treadmill! By the way, Wilmington is a great visit to beach if you need another destination choice for your summer vacation! We love this spot so much and the things to do are endless if you love being outside!

22. i’ve been to both seattle and charleston – great cities w/fun food options! i’m going to be in seattle in august and can’t wait!

23. I’ve only been to the Seattle airport lol. Otherwise, I’m not very well traveled! Enjoy your visit with your friend!