2015 Jaguar 5k Recap

I went into Saturday’s Jaguar 5k with zero expectations, at least as far as a finish time was concerned.  This race is an annual fundraiser for school athletics at the school that I worked at for the first five years of my teaching career, and what I was most looking forward to about this race was catching up with old coworkers.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would PR at this race, especially since my plan going into the race was to take it easy and save my legs for my 10k the next day.

Prior to the start of the race, Preston and I met up with a couple of friends inside of the school.  It was great to catch up with several old coworkers.  I also got to catch up for a bit with a former student who was in town for the weekend and decided to run the race.  About ten minutes before the start of the race we headed out to the start line.  While the race started and ended at the school, the rest of the race course covered neighborhood streets.

Throughout the neighborhood, several old coworkers were volunteering along the course, assisting the police with traffic control.  They also provided great crowd support.  During the first mile of the race I saw an old coworker who I greatly miss (we collaborated quite a bit during my five years at that school, and he was one of the people that it was most difficult to say goodbye to when I left), and when I saw him I knew that I needed to run up to him and give him a mid-race hug.  He cheered me on and said, “That’s my girl!”  Even though I was feeling strong during the first mile of the race, seeing him and getting a hug from him was extra encouraging as I pushed ahead to the most challenging part of the course.

This 5k course was anything but flat compared to other races I’ve run, but for the area that we live in its considered pretty flat.  There are a couple of smallish hills, but the most steep hill is just before the halfway point of the race.  Last year I was excited to not have had to walk up the hill, so I knew that this year I should have been able to run the entire hill, which I in fact did.  One of the great things about running a race for the fourth year in a row is that you’re familiar with the course, which makes it easier to pace yourself and know when to hold back and when you can push yourself harder.

I debated even standing at the start line of the race whether or not to run intervals or to run the race straight.  Because I felt strong during the first mile of the race, I decided to run it straight, only stopping to walk through the water station, which was just before the end of the second mile.  Although I tried to talk myself into taking a second walk break around the 2.5 mile point on the course, I talked myself out of needing it.

The closer I got to the finish line, the more I knew that I was likely to PR.  According to my Garmin, I crossed the finish line at 30:08 (9:36 pace), but according to the official race results I finished in 30:33 (9:50 pace).  Looking at my Garmin data online, it doesn’t look like my watch ever paused, so I’m not sure why there is such a huge disparity in my finish times.

My Garmin data shows zero indication of any pauses during Saturday's races

My Garmin data shows zero indication of any pauses during Saturday’s races

Even going by my official race results though, I still PRed by one minute and seven seconds, which is definitely worth celebrating!  My previous 5k PR was set last year at this race, so it was fun to break my PR at a repeat race and on a course that I’m familiar with.

jaguar5k

And like it years past, I got to celebrate with some post race pizza.  Who doesn’t love having pizza at 9:00 a.m. after running a great race?

2015 was another great year for this race, and I can’t wait to run it for the fifth year in a row next year!

QOTD: What is your favorite post race treat?

This entry was posted in Milestones, Races and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to 2015 Jaguar 5k Recap

Wow, that is pretty awesome that you received pizza as a post race treat! Congrats on the PR on Saturday and Sunday. Look forward to the 10k recap!

2. Congrats again on a great race. To be honest i’ve never had anything post race that I “really” enjoyed unless you count the bucket of popcorn I purchased at Hollywood Studios after the Tower of Terror 10 miler. I think that pizza would certainly hit the spot!

3. Maureen says:

Congratulations on the PR. Sounds like a good, solid race!

Aweome! Congrats on the PR!! My favorite post race treat? CHocolate milk and an omelet!

I’m not sure I have a favorite treat to eat right after a race. Normally I need to recover from the race before I can think about food, but brunch is always a good option afterwards.

Great job on this race! That’s great that you’ve done this one 4 years. It sounds like a nice tradition 🙂 I’m not that big on post race treats since I can’t usually eat that much right afterward. I’m good with a banana or orange and a granola bar or half a bagel. But I love treating myself to a decadent brunch after getting cleaned up!

7. Congrats on the PR!!! Honestly, it depends on the distance – after my half I wanted any food I could get. After a 5k/10k race I just want water/chocolate milk.

8. heathersmean says:

Great job! Mojitos 🙂

9. Fantastic time!! I love PRing on zero expectation races. I think we’re more mentally in a place to push at the end than when we’re expecting to run fast.

10. Congratulations again, and it is so awesome that your PR came at a race that has that kind of meaning for you. It makes it all the more special!

11. WOOHOO!!! Congrats on the PR!!!! My favorite post-race treat is a big glass of water and french fries ;-P

12. That’s so fantastic PR is the best feeling!! I love oranges after a race

13. Erica G says:

Congrats! It is always cool to PR at a race you go into without any real goal. And yes, that is a big difference in timing especially since your time is less. My is usually higher on my phone since it takes me time to stop it.

14. Great job on your run!! Way to go!

15. Larissa says:

Woah, great job! Must feel great to Pr when you weren’t even fighting for it.

16. My favorite post-race treat was wine in Running Through The Grapevine where they literally had us running through a grapevine. It was brutal. LOL. The wine tasting at the end was fun though. Congrats on your PR!!!!

17. Great job on the PR! That had to feel good!

18. NutriFitMama says:

Good job on the race! I love pizza 🙂 I love it when races serve wine or mimosas afterwards!

19. Woohoo Kathryn! Congrats on that awesome PR! And how great to see some of your old coworkers too!

Congrats! I love that this has become your PR course – hills and all! Morning pizza sounds great. So nice of your co-workers to cheer you on.

21. Congrats on the PR! I really like doughnuts as a post-race treat

Congrats on the PR!! What an awesome accomplishment! I agree with you – a familiar course is the best for judging your pace and when to push yourself. Congrats again! 🙂

23. Juliana says:

great job! i love running races again, when you know the course it can be so much more enjoyable. and right after a race I am not that hungry but within in an hour i crave eggs, bacon and potatoes

24. That’s such an awesome PR for a 5k! Congratulations!
    I also love running races from year to year. I like that I’m familiar with the course and can compare from one year to the next.

25. Sun says:

That is a whopper PR for a 5k – congrats! Sounds like all the training is really paying off and I agree that knowing the course is very helpful in having a successful race.

I love a race that serves pizza at the finish. Or cookies. There is actually a local race series I sign up for each year partly because of the delicious cookies at the finish line 😉

26. jillconyers says:

Congrats on the PR! Time to celebrate!

My husband and I have a couple of races we like to run every year.

27. Pingback: 2015 Manassas Runway 10k Recap | From Dancing to Running

28. AWESOME! Way to PR, and there is NOTHING better than pizza at the end of a race. Even in the AM! 🙂

29. Pingback: Friday Five – May 1st – Potpourri v. 1 | From Dancing to Running